Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETyb0X8UYAIXd-e

I’m interested in seeing the results for who has recovered so far out of the Covid patients. It seems anomalous that almost a third of Victorians have recovered so far, but for all other states it’s only a few percentage. What gives?

for Australia? i don't think so.

Ah. What numbers are you after? They can be found here.
Past few days have been

+138
+225
+281
+362

Stay the * home and let's turn this bastard around.

But remember, it's just a flu.

Two more doctors have died after contracting the coronavirus in France, officials said on Monday.

It comes a day after the country reported the first death of a doctor treating Covid-19 patients.

One of the doctors, a 66-year-old gynaecologist in Mulhouse near the border with Switzerland and Germany, was infected by a patient during a consultation, according to his clinic.

The other was a 60-year-old general practitioner at a hospital in Saint-Avold near Metz, further north along the German frontier, according to the town’s mayor.

Both died on Sunday when officials announced the death of a 67-year-old doctor who was among the first to treat coronavirus cases in the northern Oise department, which has been badly hit by the outbreak.

But remember, it's just a flu.

Two more doctors have died after contracting the coronavirus in France, officials said on Monday.

It comes a day after the country reported the first death of a doctor treating Covid-19 patients.

One of the doctors, a 66-year-old gynaecologist in Mulhouse near the border with Switzerland and Germany, was infected by a patient during a consultation, according to his clinic.

The other was a 60-year-old general practitioner at a hospital in Saint-Avold near Metz, further north along the German frontier, according to the town’s mayor.

Both died on Sunday when officials announced the death of a 67-year-old doctor who was among the first to treat coronavirus cases in the northern Oise department, which has been badly hit by the outbreak.
Medical professionals who are treating sick patients should receive a big percentage-based bonus for the additional risk they're taking on in the current working environment.

I would multiply the figures of infected from 10-20. With 20 being the extreme outlier.
You can't tell how many are infected without testing. So Australia with lax testing I would multiply confirmed cases by 18 to have an idea on actual cases.
So despite conducting 140,000 tests, they have somehow missed 30,000 odd people who are positive?

Apparently beer production could be stopped within the month.

s**t is getting serious
It's funny how its only a real crisis when the small things are affected.

Had a work colleague today who talked calmly and casually on and off most of the day about the current global predicament.

But it was only when she learned tonight's home and away episode was put off for a 7 news coronavirus special that was when she went apeshit.

US seem to have a short term solution. Allow the virus to infect everyone in the next 2-3 months. Then a month after that everyone who hasn’t died is immune and they can go on living and be a super power again. Happy Days!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malifice you probably know your situation a lot better than I do, but you may not be going into isolation in Melbourne.

I think you may be put in a short isolation in Melbourne, then straight to Western Australia on one of the few flights, then serving the full 14 days isolation in Western Australia. State borders are being closed, with several states including WA requiring isolation when residents return from interstate. 'International arrival isolation' is only served when you reach your final domestic destination as far as I've heard on ABC News.

If you've already been instructed otherwise, please disregard this post.

Information is scarce but my understanding is I can through travel before isolating.

I should be allowed to transit through Brisbane to Melbourne to Perth before isolating.

I have options in Melbourne and Perth to isolate, and can always fork out for a hotel in Brisbane if I get stuck there.

Currently on a Virgin aircraft halfway over the pacific on route from LAX to Brissy.

It's funny how its only a real crisis when the small things are affected.

Had a work colleague today who talked calmly and casually on and off most of the day about the current global predicament.

But it was only when she learned tonight's home and away episode was put off for a 7 news coronavirus special that was when she went apeshit.
Like in the movie 'Flying High 2':

'We might crash.'

*Crickets*

'And we've run out of coffee'

'AAAAARGH!'

97 recoveries in Vic is promising. Considering 1 week ago we only had 94 cases. Time to shut the border Dan.

StateActiveTotal(+New)Total deathTotal recovered
NSW695*704*5*4
VIC258355097
QLD31031918
WA13814011
SA12913405
TAS252803
NT4*4*00
ACT313201

On Q&A tonight I'm sure I heard Assistant Chief Medical Officer Professor Kelly say lock-down will happen until we get a vaccine.
12-18 months best case scenario.
WOW.

:oops::oops::oops:

Yeah I'm really struggling to understand the endgame behind what we are trying to achieve here.

There's no putting this virus back in the box. It's here to stay, forever. Even if we could theoretically lock every single Western citizen in their homes for a month, the fact that it has spread to all corners of the globe means there are always going to be reservoirs in places without effective governance, without proper sanitation or education or the ability to test and contain the spread. And given the asymptomatic nature of this virus, as soon as you try and ease restrictions, hot spots will flare up again, as is happening in China right now. It's inevitable.

The way I see it, covid-19 is more or less on track to become endemic around the world, and will continue to infect and kill people just as a host of other diseases do every year. And even if we can get a working vaccine in 12-18 months time, the sheer logistics of trying to roll that out globally are staggering. It would likely take even longer before we're remotely close to any sort of 'herd immunity.' And then we're only one small mutation from the whole train kicking off again.

And in the meantime, what? Are we just going to keep everyone locked inside indefinitely? For 6 months, 12 months, two years? Surely at some point we simply have to go on living life? Or are we now staring down the barrel of a future of closed borders, indefinite movement restrictions, fear and anxiety and panic?

In my opinion there's a deep philosophical question to be asked here, about what kind of life is worth living? People are welcome to disagree, but something in me sits so uncomfortably at the idea of all these people hunkered inside, too afraid to go out, to hug their loved ones, to breathe the fresh air, too scared to shake their neighbour's hand or share a meal or offer help to a stranger. And what about people losing their jobs, their livelihoods, their dreams?

I think there are a certain group of 'number crunchers' who are working on a statistical 'safety-first' model that have forgotten that there's more to life than eking out an existence to 99 while pumped full of drugs and staring at the wall of your nursing home in isolation. Sure, you can wrap everyone in bubble wrap and they'll 'survive', but at what cost?

I'm young and fit and healthy and so I understand it's easy to talk like this, but I've also had a long conversation with my elderly parents, and we all decided that while it would be an absolute personal tragedy to lose them, and I would grieve their absence from the bottom of my heart, if ultimately fate deigns that their time is up, we will try to accept that with grace and humility and in the knowledge that their lives have been richly lived and loved. We can be sensible and careful but I don't expect the entire world to shut down to protect them. In the end death comes for us all eventually, no matter what we do. It is the one true inevitability of life.

I just don't know what the end point of all this is and I find that almost more terrifying than the virus, because history tells us once our freedoms and rights are taken it is often hard to get them back. And a world without freedom stretching years and years into the future is not something I want to contemplate :(

Yeah I'm really struggling to understand the endgame behind what we are trying to achieve here.

There's no putting this virus back in the box. It's here to stay, forever. Even if we could theoretically lock every single Western citizen in their homes for a month, the fact that it has spread to all corners of the globe means there are always going to be reservoirs in places without effective governance, without proper sanitation or education or the ability to test and contain the spread. And given the asymptomatic nature of this virus, as soon as you try and ease restrictions, hot spots will flare up again, as is happening in China right now. It's inevitable.

The way I see it, covid-19 is more or less on track to become endemic around the world, and will continue to infect and kill people just as a host of other diseases do every year. And even if we can get a working vaccine in 12-18 months time, the sheer logistics of trying to roll that out globally are staggering. It would likely take even longer before we're remotely close to any sort of 'herd immunity.' And then we're only one small mutation from the whole train kicking off again.

And in the meantime, what? Are we just going to keep everyone locked inside indefinitely? For 6 months, 12 months, two years? Surely at some point we simply have to go on living life? Or are we now staring down the barrel of a future of closed borders, indefinite movement restrictions, fear and anxiety and panic?

In my opinion there's a deep philosophical question to be asked here, about what kind of life is worth living? People are welcome to disagree, but something in me sits so uncomfortably at the idea of all these people hunkered inside, too afraid to go out, to hug their loved ones, to breathe the fresh air, too scared to shake their neighbour's hand or share a meal or offer help to a stranger. And what about people losing their jobs, their livelihoods, their dreams?

I think there are a certain group of 'number crunchers' who are working on a statistical 'safety-first' model that have forgotten that there's more to life than eking out an existence to 99 while pumped full of drugs and staring at the wall of your nursing home in isolation. Sure, you can wrap everyone in bubble wrap and they'll 'survive', but at what cost?

I'm young and fit and healthy and so I understand it's easy to talk like this, but I've also had a long conversation with my elderly parents, and we all decided that while it would be an absolute personal tragedy to lose them, and I would grieve their absence from the bottom of my heart, if ultimately fate deigns that their time is up, we will try to accept that with grace and humility and in the knowledge that their lives have been richly lived and loved. We can be sensible and careful but I don't expect the entire world to shut down to protect them. In the end death comes for us all eventually, no matter what we do. It is the one true inevitability of life.

I just don't know what the end point of all this is and I find that almost more terrifying than the virus, because history tells us once our freedoms and rights are taken it is often hard to get them back. And a world without freedom stretching years and years into the future is not something I want to contemplate :(
Jesus that was ******* dark.

Will the coronavirus recession be the end of neoliberalism as we know it? Perpetual government budget deficits. Dump trucks of government money spent on 'whatever it takes' to keep the economy on life support. Airlines nationalised. Banks nationalised. Welfare payments doubled.

These things tend to create unexpected outcomes. the banks wont be nationalised but I don't see the higher welfare payments being rolled back anytime soon.

Last edited:
Will the coronavirus recession be the end of neoliberalism as we know it? Perpetual government budget deficits. Dump trucks of government money spent on 'whatever it takes' to keep the economy on life support. Airlines nationalised. Banks nationalised. Welfare payments doubled.
It could well instigate a more serious discussion if not actual implementation of Universal Basic Income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back