Toast Bulldogs def Swans 67-39

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler In my mind has the clean disposal of suckling (maybe not as penetrating) but also has the defencive game to back it up. Can see him playing for us for many years to come
He looked composed, I think he's a find.

Our defense has conceded a grand total of 2 goals across the first halves of our last 2 games. I don't know if any club has ever had a similar stat to that before (yes, reduced quarters, I know), at least not in the AFL era.

Last edited:

If he gets a week for this, I'd love to hear Leigh Matthews commentary around it. There is nothing to see here, he was trying to punch the ball (late) and clipped the top of the shoulder. It was milked for 50m.
Agree, I’m expecting the umpire will throw it out on review.

Butler In my mind has the clean disposal of suckling (maybe not as penetrating) but also has the defencive game to back it up. Can see him playing for us for many years to come
Absolutely. He's the guy who will balance out that backline of Caleb and JJ

When you watch the replay of the last qtr just watch Tim working back into defence, turn to run back forward leaving their ruckman in his wake, turn to work back and help out in defence again. This just goes on and on.

I'm seeing glimpses of Brad Johnson the wingman in Laitham when he takes off with the ball.

Richards just looks like he belongs now (sweet mover), same with Williams.

Sorry to disagree with a few here but I seriously can't believe that there is talk about playing English anywhere else but the ruck. He is effective and is on his way to becoming a star because he can play as another midfielder and will destroy most ruckman around the ground. This just won't happen at FF or CHF. Sure he needs to become better in the ruck contests but that will come. He does not even need to become a great tap ruck to become a star, just pressure the good ones. For now, maybe give him help against Grundy and Gawn but let him work over any other ruckman. He may have some bad days, but will be better for it.

100% this.

Playing him as a fwd when he’s starting to hit his straps is absolutely the wrong thing to do. He also loses the ability to roam free and get involved around the ground.
Throw him up fwd for a whole game with a key defender hanging off him and we won’t be seeing the same English we’ve seen the last two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English had a great game despite getting mostly smashed in the ruck again, but his competitiveness was better in ruck contests which meant the ruck influence wasn’t there.

BUT

we simply can’t let him go it alone against Goldstein next week

OUT: Naughty, Lloyd

IN: Shache, Dickson

Bevo will probably do something crazy like debut Buku Khamis or some sh*t though.

Could be worse. Could bring in Gardner and Gowers. Or wouldn’t be surprised if he signed HOneychurch during the week and played him.

Thought CD was great again tonight, the Swans tried to exploit his match up all night with no affect. Also on Bruce whilst he’s not tearing up the stat sheet his work in the contests have been great. Guys like Davis last week and Alir Alir have carved us up in the past with there intercept marking and two on one advantage but Brucey brings it to ground more than most. Also thought the midfield was better balanced tonight and looked quicker and the Bont nailing captains goals and doing captains acts at the right time was special.... Lastly the boy with the mullet in the number 6 jumper would be leading our B&F if it was held tomorrow.

happy to see you guys bounce back so well after a slow start, love bevo, also while b smith kinda freaks me out with his rig (no one should have a rig like that), he's gonna be one hell of a player! I was keen on him in that draft, which is looking to be an absolute cracker. Obviously time will tell where it all sits, but really like the look of smith so far

Last edited:
Thought CD was great again tonight, the Swans tried to exploit his match up all night with no affect. Also on Bruce whilst he’s not tearing up the stat sheet his work in the contests have been great. Guys like Davis last week and Alir Alir have carved us up in the past with there intercept marking and two on one advantage but Brucey brings it to ground more than most. Also thought the midfield was better balanced tonight and looked quicker and the Bont nailing captains goals and doing captains acts at the right time was special.... Lastly the boy with the mullet in the number 6 jumper would be leading our B&F if it was held tomorrow.

Agreed but just doesn’t look as agile as normal atm. Maybe needs to gain some extra fitness

happy to see you guys bounce back so well after a slow start, love bevo, also while b smith kinda freaks me out with his rig (no one should have a rig like that), he's gonna be one hell of a player! I was keen on in that draft, which is looking to be an absolute cracker. Obviously time will tell where it all sits, but really like the look of smith so far

I'm apparently remembered here for saying you could grate cheese on Smith's abs, but I stand by it.

Max King's got it in him to be a top tier player too. What a draft that was.

Thought Cordy was outstanding especially in the 1st. Lipinski was also everywhere and super clean with it. I knew West had real potential but tonight he blew me away. Did things that usually only a veteran pulls off. Once he physically matures he could be one of the hardest blokes in the game. Exactly the type we’ve been screaming out for. Between him, Smith and Naughton we could have some serious toughness in years to come.

Bravo:
Wallis, Bont, Smith, Macrae, Cordy, West, Libba, English, Lipinski, Caleb, Dale. Great team effort. Pressure was great.

scary to think we still have Hunter, Wood, Dunkley and Duryea to come back in.

Butler had 6 intercepts tonight, more than anyone in the team. That's some amazing game awareness from a debutante. Looked pretty hard at it too. Needs to sharpen his disposal/decision making but has plenty to offer.

Very interesting, I definitely missed that. I wasn’t particularly impressed with him, especially with his disposal efficiency around 20% but I must say that unlike other defenders we have blooded over the last few years, his mistakes didn’t seem to cost us too much.

Wouldn’t mind if we dropped him, especially if Duryea is available.

Very interesting, I definitely missed that. I wasn’t particularly impressed with him, especially with his disposal efficiency around 20% but I must say that unlike other defenders we have blooded over the last few years, his mistakes didn’t seem to cost us too much.

Wouldn’t mind if we dropped him, especially if Duryea is available.
I felt that most, if not all, of his possesions were under pressure and he played a good defensive role. Will keep his spot and I think he'll very quickly be a best 22 player. Clearly he's not ahead of Duryea as yet though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back