List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

none of that changes the fact that hately isn’t a similar player to Ollie, will not come in and do ollies role, and isn’t near to ollies level yet.

yes we should go after hately. He’s first 22 quality. But let’s not confuse facts.
I don't think we need to replace Wines as such, we just need to recruit a young midfielder with a high ceiling who can complement what we already have. As someone else posted elsewhere, Drew is the player on our list who should be able to develop into the big-bodied mid to provide clearances and defensive cover to support the polish of others like Rozee, Butters, Houston. If we want more explosive mongrel, then Powell-Pepper needs to continue to advance his game.

I don't think we need to replace Wines as such, we just need to recruit a young midfielder with a high ceiling who can complement what we already have. As someone else posted elsewhere, Drew is the player on our list who should be able to develop into the big-bodied mid to provide clearances and defensive cover to support the polish of others like Rozee, Butters, Houston. If we want more explosive mongrel, then Powell-Pepper needs to continue to advance his game.

yeah I’m all for the “hately is a promising young mid, and we’re losing a mid so why not bring him in”

but across the board we’ve had a lot of posts lately claiming that hately can come straight in as a swap for wines and be better which isn’t based on fact that I’ve taken an issue with.

I’m a big fan of Drew’s game, but * me his body is broken down more often than my dads old Datsun. Really hoping he gets fit.

On reflection I’m not sure where 197cm came from, but I’m positive as all hell he ain’t 194. There’s different heights listed for him around the place, I’ve watched him live several times. He went into the ruck for port magpies a few times and wasn’t really outsized there. From memory his brother had a big growth spurt really late as well where he went from 198ish to 203cm and I’m sure Riley had the same
Your eyes are playing tricks on you. Last years team photo. Paddy Ryder is 197cms (Dougal Howard 199cm)

Burton 191cms, Watts 196cms Grundy 194cms Bonner 190cms McKenzie 191cms

1594010626208.png

I thought Grundy was 197 too, can't find it now
His SANFL page as an u18 has him at 195

Your eyes are playing tricks on you. Last years team photo. Paddy Ryder is 197cms (Dougal Howard 199cm)

Burton 191cms, Watts 196cms Grundy 194cms Bonner 190cms McKenzie 191cms

View attachment 907188

maybe you’re right and my eyes are playing tricks on me. But I wouldn’t trust that pic, as you say burton is 191 but looks taller than Grundy and nearly as tall as watts. It’s not a reliable picture, but a good example of how eyes can’t be trusted due to perspective. Brodie definitely had a big late growth spurt though and I thought Riley had the same.

in any case hes the tallest genuine defender we have and he plays tall. Would have no issue with him standing a ruck.

yeah I’m all for the “hately is a promising young mid, and we’re losing a mid so why not bring him in”

but across the board we’ve had a lot of posts lately claiming that hately can come straight in as a swap for wines and be better which isn’t based on fact that I’ve taken an issue with.

I may be reading it wrong but I don't think the claim is that he'll be better than Wines immediately, I think the claim is that he will develop into a better player than Wines. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does.

maybe you’re right and my eyes are playing tricks on me. But I wouldn’t trust that pic, as you say burton is 191 but looks taller than Grundy and nearly as tall as watts. It’s not a reliable picture, but a good example of how eyes can’t be trusted due to perspective. Brodie definitely had a big late growth spurt though and I thought Riley had the same.

in any case hes the tallest genuine defender we have and he plays tall. Would have no issue with him standing a ruck.
For years I have thought Jack Darling is a lot taller than his 191cms - ie Paul Stewart's height. I don't know if its his long torso, but when I watch the Eagles play I reckon he looks as tall as Kennedy.

Adelaide all up into Hately also. Nicks has a hard on for him.
Adelaide are going to replace North Melbourne as the club asking(/begging) anyone and everyone to go there the next 3 - 4 years. If you're a fringe player wanting a good pay rise, it's the place to go (as long as you just want a pay cheque and don't care about success or integrity).

I may be reading it wrong but I don't think the claim is that he'll be better than Wines immediately, I think the claim is that he will develop into a better player than Wines. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does.
Given the gaping hole in the middle of our list age profile keeping Wines, getting Hately and trading/delisting Rockliff is a better option. Hately is different enough (outside enough) that we wouldn't have the same 'too many plodders' in the centre we do with Wines and Rockliff both playing.

For years I have thought Jack Darling is a lot taller than his 191cms - ie Paul Stewart's height. I don't know if its his long torso, but when I watch the Eagles play I reckon he looks as tall as Kennedy.

I’ve never paid any attention to darling, I just assumed he was taller than listed.

players heights are tested and released at combines. If they grow after the combine there’s no obligation to share it other than if it makes a nice story to sell to your club members.

its funny this reminded me I didn’t grow a cm or put any weight on between the ages of 12-16 then grew around 10-15cms between 16-18. ive only come to understand how unusual that was recently when hearing stories of people like tredders growing like 7cms in a year.

Given the gaping hole in the middle of our list age profile keeping Wines, getting Hately and trading/delisting Rockliff is a better option. Hately is different enough (outside enough) that we wouldn't have the same 'too many plodders' in the centre we do with Wines and Rockliff both playing.

I’ve thought that of the boak rocky wines ebert centre rotation is that wines has been the least plodding. He’s actually looked quite quick around contests this year. My issue has been that he’s dropped out of games in large patches. We’ve seen him be very very busy then drop away then come back for a few minutes then drop away again. Either fitness / workrate or some combo of both.

It's the fact he's a socks up type operator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reach and vertical leap is just as important as height. The problem with our key defenders is they aren't that tall but also don't have great reach or leap.

that always pissed me off about people using Ryder as an example of an undersized ruck. His standing reach would have been the same as most guys 199cms I reckon.

Similarly Jack Riewoldt is the same height as Nick Riewoldt. I wouldve sworn Nick is 5cm taller.

The way I see it, we have several concerns.
- slow, one paced midfield
- our best players are likely to all retire at once
- slow to react midfielders with poor disposal efficiency
- lack of height in the backline
- depth players have lots of question marks

Midfield - Atley and Drew have minimal experience and are constantly injured. Mead offers some hope but who else to we have.
We seem to have a plethora of half forward types but a true defensive forward would be good.
Defence - Clurey seems to be a serious liability. Is it worth looking to get something for him?

1) https://www.draftguru.com.au/players/riley_grundy/1

2) Page 264 AFL Record Season Guide 2020 book lists him as 194cm and 84 kgs.

Where are you getting 197cms from??
I know he was drafted at 194 but if you compare his height with other players in this pre season's photos, he's definitely taller.
I stood next to him at Marion shops a few months ago and he definitely seemed much taller. I'm 189 and he towered over me.
Agree on the shoulders. he has put on serious size.

Reach and vertical leap is just as important as height. The problem with our key defenders is they aren't that tall but also don't have great reach or leap.
See I think McKenzie has a great reach for his height

It's just that it makes him a normal reach for a 192cm player

I'd happily chuck out Jonas for a true 200cm defender.
I'd chuck out Rockcliff for a pacy nugget in and under type.
Easier said than done.
I have no hope in Drew and Atley. They aren't improving.

I’m not sure we are the club but Neville Jetta is far to good not to be playing AFL.

Also, anyone know what the go with Tom Sparrow is? Another of the 2018 crop who had a good debut against us in round 1 last year. If Wines were to move on he is a type of player we need far more than Melbourne.

Is there any chance we could use hayes as a defender? He looks pretty athletic dont think hed lack any pace off the mark. I know he plays a fair bit forward when rotating with ladhams in the SANFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back