List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

So why are people so keen on Harrison Petty? Hasn’t played much at the demons...

We have the much spoken about gap in our age profile. So we either forget about it and keep bringing in draftees or young lads, or we pinch some to feel that gap.

We need genuine ball winners in the centre, preferably with some pace, another tall or two, and another good kick.

Throwing some options:
- Wines for Paddy Dow + pick exchange
- Brodie Smith - ridiculous but would give us pace and skills
- Matt Crouch - kinda Rockliff replacement, also ridiculous
- Hateley fits the bill and may not cost too much
- Schache as a forward option

Mind you, I think we have some options within our list that are worth trying. Burton to the midfield - the guy has speed and skills, no reason he can’t make the change and would really give us something different in there. Watts into the backline, has the height, speed and skills to match up with most and frees up McKenzie, Clurey and Jonas.

Because petty had promise as a junior, is 197cm, is from SA and is out of contract and should be be cheap.

Vomit at those trade suggestions.

Burton is very reliable in the backlines and midfield could ask too much of his bad knee

Marking key position defender won't be easy in the draft.That weakness was exposed v the lions lastnight.
Small fwd.Sam Grey has left and Motlop is towards the end.Livewire indigenous player like Ryan or Cameron.Might be available somewhere in a tier 2 competition.

This coming draft is pretty well stocked for key defenders.

we added Trent Burgoyne as a quick small forward last year.

So why are people so keen on Harrison Petty? Hasn’t played much at the demons...

We have the much spoken about gap in our age profile. So we either forget about it and keep bringing in draftees or young lads, or we pinch some to feel that gap.

We need genuine ball winners in the centre, preferably with some pace, another tall or two, and another good kick.

Throwing some options:
- Wines for Paddy Dow + pick exchange
- Brodie Smith - ridiculous but would give us pace and skills
- Matt Crouch - kinda Rockliff replacement, also ridiculous
- Hateley fits the bill and may not cost too much
- Schache as a forward option

Mind you, I think we have some options within our list that are worth trying. Burton to the midfield - the guy has speed and skills, no reason he can’t make the change and would really give us something different in there. Watts into the backline, has the height, speed and skills to match up with most and frees up McKenzie, Clurey and Jonas.

I think the Smith ship has sailed, probably doesnt suit our age profile. Hately would. Not sure Schache will ever leave Victoria.

Dow is interesting, but hasnt shown anything. Would need to be a high pick

Who thinks that Hateley would end up being an upgrade of (rather than replacement for) Wines?

He's really more of an outside player who has done a fair amount of inside work as a junior at Centrals that creates the impression he's a inside. I'd like him targeted on the basis he's more of a Brad Elbert type.

Hately is Brad Ebert, but probably a bit cleaner with the ball.

I would be looking at the other GWS mids for a Wines replacement. They have Coniglio, Taranto, Hopper and struggling to fit Green in.

I think Hopper could do a Josh Dunkley or Tom Mitchell with more opportunity. Can get big posession and tackle numbers.

Who thinks that Hateley would end up being an upgrade of (rather than replacement for) Wines?

this is complete revisionist bullshit to be honest

hately second year

- fringe player not playing in the centre In and out of the side

14.3d 1.7 i50 1.3 T 0.3 clearances (20% reduced gametime)

wines second year

- centre mid established key player

24.4d 3.5 i50 5T 4.8 clearances

yes hately has promise. Yes we should be interested in him but let’s not pretend that he’s shown remotely close to what Ollie did at the same age, let’s not pretend that hately has played the same role. Amon has 2.4 T and 1.8 clearances this year as an outside player compared to hately’s 1.3 and 0.3.
hately is not a wines replacement. Hately isn’t going to step into wines role. He’s not going to be better than Ollie from tomorrow. What hately can do is be a safe bet to be a good first 22 player who works hard around the ground. If he develops into an inside mid along the way, which is possible but not a given right now that would be great.

Not fussed over hately wouldn't be giving up much for him.
Sam Durdin from the Roos what has happened to him? We were keen in his draft yr I was keen to get him in the polec deal but hasn't been seen since?

yes hately has promise. Yes we should be interested in him but let’s not pretend that he’s shown remotely close to what Ollie did at the same age

Ollie has gone backwards since he was Hately's age. Player development isn't always at the same rate and it isn't always linear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is complete revisionist bullshit to be honest

hately second year

- fringe player not playing in the centre In and out of the side

14.3d 1.7 i50 1.3 T 0.3 clearances (20% reduced gametime)

wines second year

- centre mid established key player

24.4d 3.5 i50 5T 4.8 clearances

yes hately has promise. Yes we should be interested in him but let’s not pretend that he’s shown remotely close to what Ollie did at the same age, let’s not pretend that hately has played the same role. Amon has 2.4 T and 1.8 clearances this year as an outside player compared to hately’s 1.3 and 0.3.
hately is not a wines replacement. Hately isn’t going to step into wines role. He’s not going to be better than Ollie from tomorrow. What hately can do is be a safe bet to be a good first 22 player who works hard around the ground. If he develops into an inside mid along the way, which is possible but not a given right now that would be great.
I was asking a question of those who know more than I do. As someone who seems to follow the drafted kids, I take it from your reply that you do not expect Hateley to be as good an AFL player as Wines.

I was asking a question of those who know more than I do. As someone who seems to follow the drafted kids, I take it from your reply that you do not expect Hateley to be as good an AFL player as Wines.

I don’t know what he will be in the future, I know what he is now. And he’s not an inside mid remotely near wines caliber.
the comparison of amons tackles and clearances to hately is all you need to know about how hately plays now.
but hately is a great runner, a big kid, can win his own ball and seems to have great work ethic.
I just hate the wines comparison. It’s wrong.

Ollie has gone backwards since he was Hately's age. Player development isn't always at the same rate and it isn't always linear.

none of that changes the fact that hately isn’t a similar player to Ollie, will not come in and do ollies role, and isn’t near to ollies level yet.

yes we should go after hately. He’s first 22 quality. But let’s not confuse facts.

So he should totally come to Port Adelaide. The beacon of player development since 19 odd dickety 6.

none of that changes the fact that hately isn’t a similar player to Ollie, will not come in and do ollies role, and isn’t near to ollies level yet.

yes we should go after hately. He’s first 22 quality. But let’s not confuse facts.

Isn't the whole problem with our midfield right now that we have too many players like Ollie playing the same role?

The split between inside and outside players in our midfield is too stark. Right now Boak is our only midfielder who's proficient in both. Hately can, and IMO will, develop into another such midfielder.

There are going to be a lot of good ordinary footballers available in the trade/free agency period if, the draft say is limited to 4 picks or 2 or 3 rounds and lists are cut say from 40+4 to say 36+4 at the end of the year as the AFL has hinted.

Saturday night said we need another 195+cm defender to play on the big blokes. Probably means Pasini 192cms and Grundy 194cms might get the axe if they don't get decent scratch matches to show their worth.

Isn't the whole problem with our midfield right now that we have too many players like Ollie playing the same role?

The split between inside and outside players in our midfield is too stark. Right now Boak is our only midfielder who's proficient in both. Hately can, and IMO will, develop into another such midfielder.

I’m not questioning bringing hately in, ive spoken about him since way back when, I’m questioning people who continue to refer to him as being better than Ollie and being able to take his spot.

there is a problem with too many flat footed players in the middle, hately isn’t the solution to that at all.

rocky wines boak ebert are too many slow (slow by foot but also slow to react and move as well and just flat footed around stoppages) wines out and hately in wouldn’t change that dynamic. What will is that wines will go, rocky has 1 more year on his contract, ebert is nearly done.

more centre midfield time to quick reactive players like rozee and butters and hopefully drew who is defensively minded and quick to react around stoppages will be what changes our midfield. Not hately.

There are going to be a lot of good ordinary footballers available in the trade/free agency period if, the draft say is limited to 4 picks or 2 or 3 rounds and lists are cut say from 40+4 to say 36+4 at the end of the year as the AFL has hinted.

Saturday night said we need another 195+cm defender to play on the big blokes. Probably means Pasini 192cms and Grundy 194cms might get the axe if they don't get decent scratch matches to show their worth.
Dougal Howard had his detractors (me included), but hed have been handy Sat night.

We def need a key back (over 195 cm). We also need small defender who can actually lock down and defend.

Grundy is 197cm at least. I’m not sure where you’re getting those numbers from but I am positive he’s 197.
he’s also going to be a massive strong beast. He already played like a physical beast when he was a skinny stick, his shoulders now look like you could parelell park buses on them. His problem was that he was only shutdown and did not intercepting and had zero involvement off the ball. I loved that he drafted him but pegged him as a long long term prospect. He has already advanced physically and with his game quicker than I anticipated. He’s still a while away but he’s almost the most important kid on our list with its current make up. He’s also got a lot of promise as a second ruck although defenders hardly get used that way. Surprised when he did it at magpies level. Has a natural knack for it.

having said all that who the hell knows what the club thinks about him and whether they will keep him.

Grundy is 197cm at least. I’m not sure where you’re getting those numbers from but I am positive he’s 197.
he’s also going to be a massive strong beast. He already played like a physical beast when he was a skinny stick, his shoulders now look like you could parelell park buses on them. His problem was that he was only shutdown and did not intercepting and had zero involvement off the ball. I loved that he drafted him but pegged him as a long long term prospect. He has already advanced physically and with his game quicker than I anticipated. He’s still a while away but he’s almost the most important kid on our list with its current make up. He’s also got a lot of promise as a second ruck although defenders hardly get used that way. Surprised when he did it at magpies level. Has a natural knack for it.

having said all that who the hell knows what the club thinks about him and whether they will keep him.

1) https://www.draftguru.com.au/players/riley_grundy/1

2) Page 264 AFL Record Season Guide 2020 book lists him as 194cm and 84 kgs.

Where are you getting 197cms from??

You don't think that the club dropping him to the rookie list is an indicator of the club's thoughts on him?
FWIW I agree that we can hardly afford to cut anyone over 195cm at this juncture.

1) https://www.draftguru.com.au/players/riley_grundy/1

2) Page 264 AFL Record Season Guide 2020 book lists him as 194cm and 84 kgs.

Where are you getting 197cms from??
On reflection I’m not sure where 197cm came from, but I’m positive as all hell he ain’t 194. There’s different heights listed for him around the place, I’ve watched him live several times. He went into the ruck for port magpies a few times and wasn’t really outsized there. From memory his brother had a big growth spurt really late as well where he went from 198ish (The knock on Brodie Grundy leading up to the draft was that he was a little short but grew just before the day)
to 203cm and I’m sure Riley had a similar late spurt.
You don't think that the club dropping him to the rookie list is an indicator of the club's thoughts on him?
FWIW I agree that we can hardly afford to cut anyone over 195cm at this juncture.
I don’t think so. I always assumed as a long term prospect we would move him there.
my only concern is the coaches preference for undersized quick ball using key defenders might see them toss him aside and they’ll rely on pisani to hold a key post and look for more 190cm defenders. I’m going to watch holder Schreiber and sinberberrys weekend games shortly, they scream ports preferred backmen with their 188-192cm heights lol. We will probably pass on DGB in the draft and rookie one of those blokes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back