Roast Changes: R6 vs West Coast, 2020 - What the * are we doing?

Winner & Ins / Outs?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Matt Crouch decision was horrid.
With him out we were able to place others in the midfield

Can’t imagine where Poholke mindset would be at. He didn’t really do a whole lot wrong

David Mackay ended his career. He'll have to live with that

So our backline currently looks like this:

B Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB Laird - Hartigan - Kelly
Also HB Mackay - McPherson - Hamill

Since you have previously stated that you don’t always bother to watch our games, I will assist you with the selection dilemma.

1) We usually rotate 7 players through our 6 defensive positions (it allows them to have an occasional rest).

2) Whilst 11 of the selected 22 players have played in defence at various times over the last few years

- Brodie Smith has mainly been playing on the wing this year = 10
- McAsey has played both as a forward and a back in his junior footy and hint, hint...Tex is missing = 9
- Bran Nue Mackae has spent some time at half back in recent years but he has mostly played on the wing = 8

3) So one of the remaining 8 players will not be playing in defence. I will go out on a limb and suggest that The “mystery player” is not Talia, Hartigan, Brown or McPherson. Hamill has played some footy on the wing in the Twos, Kelly has been tried (unsuccessfully) in the midfield and quite a few posters have suggested moving Laird or Doedee into the midfield.

My guess is that Hamill will play mostly on the wing along with Mackay and Smith. Sloane will play as a forward with some squirts in the midfield. McAsey will play as a key forward.

Sholl has played almost all of his footy with us as a defender. I suspect the choice was to bring in McPherson or Sholl.
With Tex and Fog injured, McAsey was preferred as a tall forward over Himmelberg and Strauchan (pretty logical).
Stengle for Murphy, a no brainer.
So we needed another wingman, who was available??? Seedsman, Gibbs and Mackay.

I am disappointed that Poholke was played as a forward last week, then dropped. As a defensive inside mid it is currently a choice between Keays and Poholke. I expect Dylan to be given further opportunities unless it was him who sent off ROB’s text.

Since you have previously stated that you don’t always bother to watch our games, I will assist you with the selection dilemma.

I agree with the rest of this post but not sure where you've gotten this from. I've watched every single Crows game in the last 5 years (either live or a replay) and all the SANFL matches I can

I agree with the rest of this post but not sure where you've gotten this from. I've watched every single Crows game in the last 5 years (either live or a replay) and all the SANFL matches I can
My apologies, I just assumed that this was the case based on your observations 😉.

Not bottoming out and not developing a list to contend for a premiership is what an incompetent club does which the club has never done, our club has been one of the most successful run club up until the camp, that's why the media is giving us sh*t and rightly so as how can such a successful club fall so low with such a stupid decision.....and I don't include the Tippett saga, we were harshly given the penalty for salary breach and draft trampering.
This is the age old argument of whether we are a well run club or whether we are a club with such a large supporter base that even the most incompetent leadership (which we do have) couldnt stuff up. We arent a well run club at all. We were a well run club through 93 to 98 as their was genuine football people who cared and made good decisions. What we are currently is an embarrassment and a butt of every clubs jokes. I know Chapman and cronies couldn't care less as they will have an excuse for every argument. Listen to Mark Riccuito speak, he has also learned well from his mentor to have an excuse for everything as well and put the blame onto others for every bad decision he has made. Just recently he tried to put the blame onto the players for them leaving instead of his incompetent list management. Truly embarrassing stuff by him. We are a club that cannot even admit our own faults. Sadly we have become the excuse club.

Last edited:
I am dumbfounded that there are still people willing to defend the inclusion of DMAc in our starting 22.. its 2020 ffs, he’s 32, a very ordinary player and we’re bottom and winless.. what is there to gain from this bullshit?..

He shouldve been delisted/retired at the end of 2018 for *s sake... he has provided absolutely nothing of any note in the last 2 seasons and has done nothing but clogg up our list, hold back our youth and forced other more promising players (i.e Milera) to play out of position just to accomodate DMacs inclusion in the side..

The club is in the position its currently in due to decisions just like this one in including DMAC this week. And giving DMAC and guys like Douglas and Jerka plenty of games over the youth in 2018/9.

Douglas played around 8 of the worst games of football seen last year before he was finally dropped... 8 ffs!.. thats 8 games of experience that couldve gone to a younger player... all to a bloke everyone with half a brain could see was cooked and wouldnt be there in 2020..

What a complete and utter waste. 8 games lost forever.

DMac Represents everything thats currently wrong with this club whereby we pick “nice guys”, “good lads from good families” and “blokes who train hard” and “the regulars of the crows little ‘boys club’ of veterans” over raw talent, promising youth and rough diamonds.

There was simply no justification for his inclusion in the starting 22 for all the games he played in 2019... including him in this weeks 22 in season 2020 is a just a sick *en joke.

At this point I’d rather see a young player like scholl go out there, run around and not get a touch (not that he would, I bet he’d get a fair few) than see DMAC get 10 more of his absolutely mediocre possessions.

Listened to Nicks press conference today, here are some interesting bits from it:

- Sloane to spend more time in the middle...great. Crouchx2 + Sloane has been a real winner for us lately.
- Dmac is a real solid defender (must have not watched him play AFL yet - see GIF of him vs Melbourne) and will be important to us going forward.

Didn't mind the rest of the stuff about Mcpherson getting a gig, McAsey playing forward and the Stengle inclusion, but the above is a bit of a worry.

Listened to Nicks press conference today, here are some interesting bits from it:

- Sloane to spend more time in the middle...great. Crouchx2 + Sloane has been a real winner for us lately.
- Dmac is a real solid defender (must have not watched him play AFL yet - see GIF of him vs Melbourne) and will be important to us going forward.

Didn't mind the rest of the stuff about Mcpherson getting a gig, McAsey playing forward and the Stengle inclusion, but the above is a bit of a worry.

Glad to see we're gunning for a priority pick.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, what changed with Crouch? What could change? Maybe a message to the troops, but it's lost when he's straight back in.
He did what any AA level midfielder would do at SANFL level, totally dominated.

Keep him in the for at least another week

This is the age old argument of whether we are a well run club or whether we are a club with such a large supporter base that even the most incompetent leadership (which we do have) couldnt stuff up. We arent a well run club at all. We were a well run club through 93 to 98 as their was genuine football people who cared and made good decisions. What we are currently is an embarrassment and a butt of every clubs jokes. I know Chapman and cronies couldn't care less as they will have an excuse for every argument. Listen to Mark Riccuito speak, he has also learned well from his mentor to have an excuse for everything and put the blame onto others for every bad decision he has made. Just recently he tried to put the blame onto the players for them leaving instead of his incompetent list management. Truly embarrassing stuff by him. We are a club that cannot even admit our own faults. Sadly we have become the excuse club.
Lets just say poorly run clubs don't regularly make finals without having access to high draft picks.....they might be not as transparent as what some supporter want.

Standard stuff, he's not gonna bash anyone in a pregame presser.

1) We usually rotate 7 players through our 6 defensive positions (it allows them to have an occasional rest).

2) Whilst 11 of the selected 22 players have played in defence at various times over the last few years

- Brodie Smith has mainly been playing on the wing this year = 10
- McAsey has played both as a forward and a back in his junior footy and hint, hint...Tex is missing = 9
- Bran Nue Mackae has spent some time at half back in recent years but he has mostly played on the wing = 8

3) So one of the remaining 8 players will not be playing in defence. I will go out on a limb and suggest that The “mystery player” is not Talia, Hartigan, Brown or McPherson. Hamill has played some footy on the wing in the Twos, Kelly has been tried (unsuccessfully) in the midfield and quite a few posters have suggested moving Laird or Doedee into the midfield.

My guess is that Hamill will play mostly on the wing along with Mackay and Smith. Sloane will play as a forward with some squirts in the midfield. McAsey will play as a key forward.

Sholl has played almost all of his footy with us as a defender. I suspect the choice was to bring in McPherson or Sholl.
With Tex and Fog injured, McAsey was preferred as a tall forward over Himmelberg and Strauchan (pretty logical).
Stengle for Murphy, a no brainer.
So we needed another wingman, who was available??? Seedsman, Gibbs and Mackay.

I am disappointed that Poholke was played as a forward last week, then dropped. As a defensive inside mid it is currently a choice between Keays and Poholke. I expect Dylan to be given further opportunities unless it was him who sent off ROB’s text.

The ball spends 80% time in our back half, maybe they are onto something with playing every single defender on our list. Although is reeks of reacting to our midfield sucking rather than improving our midfield.

Scholl just had to come in instead of Mackay, it is a stupid decision and will further infuriate fans more than any other self inflicted board stupidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As even JIB was capable of pointing out, the only time that Mackay should be selected is when they're seriously considering Gibbs' return. Outside of that, we're better off seeing how nearly every other player on our list goes as a run and carry player. If they dropped Kelly or Brown, I could at least attempt to mount the argument, but that's still ignoring Sholl.
I'm not saying that they should have selected Mackay. My first response when I saw it was "WTF?".

You previously stated that the only reason for bringing him in was to counteract the loss of Tex's experience. This is nothing but apocryphal claptrap.

Surely he didn't actually say Mackay is important going forward. What a muppet, Mackay would be lucky to be on the list next year

Surely he didn't actually say Mackay is important going forward. What a muppet, Mackay would be lucky to be on the list next year
It's clear he isn't a blasting sort of a coach, he won't cook a bloke in public.

I'm not saying that they should have selected Mackay. My first response when I saw it was "WTF?".

You previously stated that the only reason for bringing him in was to counteract the loss of Tex's experience. This is nothing but apocryphal claptrap.

There's no other valid reason. If you wanted a decent performance and/or future dividend, it's not Mackay you look to.

Perhaps he meant AMac?

It's clear he isn't a blasting sort of a coach, he won't cook a bloke in public.

He could just not say it though.

Just listening to the presser now and he said that Sloane playing on the wing was to manage his body, not for strategy reasons which is disappointing to hear

He could just not say it though.

Just listening to the presser now and he said that Sloane playing on the wing was to manage his body, not for strategy reasons which is disappointing to hear

I thought the exact same thing re Sloane. No plan to give younger mids time on the ball, just a way to let Sloane play even though he shouldn’t be out there.

Shows there's not yet any clear picture about how this rebuild is actually going to take shape.

We know we need to improve our midfield but we don't quite know how to go about it with our existing pieces.

We know we need some experienced players around our kids but we don't know who or exactly how many.

You feel like the first five rounds has thrown up more questions for Nicks than answers.

False alarm, this comment was about McPherson not Mackay. I just listened to the presser

There was no comment made about Mackay I believe

I thought the exact same thing re Sloane. No plan to give younger mids time on the ball, just a way to let Sloane play even though he shouldn’t be out there.
Yep...

and how’s how he said the decision to play or not to play Sloane with his injuries in recent weeks have been decisions made by “Rory himself’..

not by the medical staff and coaching staff... “Rory himself“

There's no other valid reason. If you wanted a decent performance and/or future dividend, it's not Mackay you look to.
I gave you a reason in my previous post.

Nobody, not even the Adelaide selectors, is dumb enough to select a player purely on the basis of experience. Only 1 person I can think of is dumb enough to believe that it may even be the reason.

Back