Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Kicked two today which was nice; but does anyone know why Gussy spends so much time on the bench?

His stamina can't be this bad can it? Is he carrying an injury? Are we managing loads?
Maybe the less time he spends on the field the better he plays. We should try him on a single minute per quarter maybe he’ll kick four goals.

This bloke has to be massively under the pump. Noticeably shirked multiple contests yesterday. What is his role???

He was actually quite good as the receiver out of the contest, broke open a few clearances with his positioning.

Couldn't be more certain he's gonna finish his Melbourne career like Dom Tyson. Similarities are everywhere.

Both not good enough to stay inside all the game, both been pushed to the wings and slowly fading into an irrelevant player in the team.
Can see him leaving for another team for a 3rd rounder in a couple years.

Couldn't be more certain he's gonna finish his Melbourne career like Dom Tyson. Similarities are everywhere.

Both not good enough to stay inside all the game, both been pushed to the wings and slowly fading into an irrelevant player in the team.
Has that look about it. I don't mind him as he's got some ability to push forward that guys like Oliver and Viney haven't shown as much of, but is very much stuck in no man's land.
That said, not against trading him for a 15-25 pick if we can get it this year. Maybe run him through the guts a bit to raise his value later.

Fairly knee jerk reaction, quiet game coming off one of his better performances for the year based on coaches votes.

Think we need to get him in the game a bit more, rotating him into the middle and Clarry/Trac resting up forward should happen more often.

Fairly knee jerk reaction, quiet game coming off one of his better performances for the year based on coaches votes.

Think we need to get him in the game a bit more, rotating him into the middle and Clarry/Trac resting up forward should happen more often.
That's knee jerk if you hadn't read anything I've said about him for years.

Yeah I thought the opposite, particularly last week

its an easy out for people watching the game.

You could say a few negatives about Gus, but being soft isn’t one of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to argue with this tbh

Have we tried him off half back?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

There's a few key differences. Tyson is slow as treacle, can't field kick and can't kick goals. Brayshaw isn't slow, has some ability by foot and has good instinct around the sticks. If you remove Tyson's 2014, you see a guy who never quite fit.

I'm not going to go and watch the game again, but there were two times I noticed it. One time he went into a contest with his arm out rather than his body.

When I spoke about the game with my old man on the phone, he had noticed it too.

He was better with his chasing and effort to put pressure on last night then he has been in previous games this year, a step in the right direction I thought

I'm not going to go and watch the game again, but there were two times I noticed it. One time he went into a contest with his arm out rather than his body.

When I spoke about the game with my old man on the phone, he had noticed it too.

if you are going to make calls like that then you should back it up

Just like the one against the tigers when May set him up with a horrendous hospital pass in between two opp players, he hits at a full tilt and does about four flips in the air?

I get that there are people in here that don’t like Brayshaw but I think that clouds judgement. He was excellent early on Saturday when playing defensive side of centre bounces, but was moved out of the midfield rotation when TMc goes down.

Brayshaw is comfortably one of our top 10 performers this year. And he’s not being traded, not unless he asks for one, but that’s highly unlikely.

Remember a couple of years ago Brayshaw was sticking some really good tackles, at times momentum changing tackles, you just knew if he got a piece of the opponent he would bring them down. He needs to re-find this tackling prowess because it'll improve the rest of his game

Remember a couple of years ago Brayshaw was sticking some really good tackles, at times momentum changing tackles, you just knew if he got a piece of the opponent he would bring them down. He needs to re-find this tackling prowess because it'll improve the rest of his game
He can't tackle anyone who moves sideways in the slightest. His lateral movement is as bad as Bennell

He can't tackle anyone who moves sideways in the slightest. His lateral movement is as bad as Bennell

The tackles I'm thinking were probably chase down tackles to be fair, but that's still important. I can't say I've noticed his lack of lateral movement I'll start seeing it now probably!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back