Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the premise of ‘we have too many inside mids and should trade the one that hurts us least if he leaves but gets us something decent in return’ but Oliver is the one we have to keep and build around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gawn, Oliver, Petracca stay. Full stop.

I like Viney but Harmes and Gus have also been in this kind of form at times in their careers. If they're playing Sparrow to get some currency, it's working. He looks ok. Would be happy to let either of Harmes or Gus go end of year to a team where they will be in the starting midfield three. Would like Viney to stay, but if he goes he goes.

I like Viney but Harmes and Gus have also been in this kind of form at times in their careers. If they're playing Sparrow to get some currency, it's working. He looks ok. Would be happy to let either of Harmes or Gus go end of year to a team where they will be in the starting midfield three. Would like Viney to stay, but if he goes he goes.

I'm a fan of trading Brayshaw if we get something good in return. I truly think a needs-based player as opposed to draft picks - last year, a straight swap for Langdon would've been fair, for example.

That being said, depth is important. Jonesy will be gone after this year. Sparrow's shown some promise, be interesting to see if he can find a role relieving outside/HBF/HFF, which Gus and to a degree Harmesy haven't been able to.

Id trade Gawn too, really like the look of Jackson.

Lmao Sam Mitchell is one of the best decision makers of all time, I guarantee he never handballed to a bloke 1m running towards him.

Not to mention one of the best opposite foot kicks of all time also.

Good to see him play well last night regardless of my opinion of what would be best for the club. About time. :)

Moar please. Im not ready to rip my panties off and throw them at him just yet like some of you.

Last edited:
I posted yesterday that Trac has his confidence now and when Oliver gets it he’ll improve a lot. That’s what he showed last night. Hopefully do it more consistently now. Will crack 100 games next year.

Why? Cause you're scared of the unknown and worried the picks won't work out?

Well yes actually, we have a very poor record using high draft picks in the last 20 odd years. Very rare we nail a star, Petracca finally emerging, and Oliver would be the two best top 10 picks I can remember off the top of my head in recent times. And so so many wasted, lots of teams have similar experiences. Draft picks are over rated, rather keep the proven player who is still young and still must have more upside which we saw last night.

We do better trading our second round picks for ready made players anyway, should focus on that, excellent hit rate in recent times.

Well yes actually, we have a very poor record using high draft picks in the last 20 odd years. Very rare we nail a star, Petracca finally emerging, and Oliver would be the two best top 10 picks I can remember off the top of my head in recent times. And so so many wasted, lots of teams have similar experiences. Draft picks are over rated, rather keep the proven player who is still young and still must have more upside which we saw last night.

We do better trading our second round picks for ready made players anyway, should focus on that, excellent hit rate in recent times.

You're welcome to have the opinion there is no way the club should trade Oliver, but.....

Like I said to schmutt, there is no way I'm investing more in experienced players while Goodwin remains our coach. Just burning our cap room and our future by doing so.

Worrying about past issues with drafting is not something a club should ever let drive decisions in list make up. Nailing draft picks is a must if you want to be any good over an extended period of time. . Harden the * up and back yourself in rather mortgaging the future and salary cap on marginal talent from opposition clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're welcome to have the opinion there is no way the club should trade Oliver, but.....

Like I said to schmutt, there is no way I'm investing more in experienced players while Goodwin remains our coach. Just burning our cap room and our future by doing so.

Worrying about past issues with drafting is not something a club should ever let drive decisions in list make up. Nailing draft picks is a must if you want to be any good over an extended period of time. . Harden the fu** up and back yourself in rather mortgaging the future and salary cap on marginal talent from opposition clubs.

Yeh I would agree with not letting the past failures drive future decisions, but I reckon paying high for top draft picks is an over rated strategy. But I suspect that is where the difference of opinion lays, some people rate Oliver really highly and some people rate him lower.

I believe our current list is a good list, and as most of us think, it's just not being used maximally. There are already guys on our list who potentially offer what we are lacking, pace and uncontested ball movement, they just aren't being developed or given any experience at the top level. The second coming of Weid has hopefully solved one of our other big problems coming into the season.

The Goodwin argument becomes circular though, because if we freed up salary cap space and gave him two top 10 draft picks he'd probably just go get two more inside midfielders to replace Oliver, so it's a catch 22.

Yeh I would agree with not letting the past failures drive future decisions, but I reckon paying high for top draft picks is an over rated strategy. But I suspect that is where the difference of opinion lays, some people rate Oliver really highly and some people rate him lower.

I believe our current list is a good list, and as most of us think, it's just not being used maximally. There are already guys on our list who potentially offer what we are lacking, pace and uncontested ball movement, they just aren't being developed or given any experience at the top level. The second coming of Weid has hopefully solved one of our other big problems coming into the season.

The Goodwin argument becomes circular though, because if we freed up salary cap space and gave him two top 10 draft picks he'd probably just go get two more inside midfielders to replace Oliver, so it's a catch 22.

Oliver wouldn't be traded while Goodwin was coach anyway, it's more just a random thought of mine about list makeup than any realistic chance of happening.. 0% chance he gets traded.

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far from our draft picks from this past draft. Long way to go but I like what I see. Taylor has done pretty well when given the chance to select in the first and second round throughout his time at the club.

Oliver wouldn't be traded while Goodwin was coach anyway, it's more just a random thought of mine about list makeup than any realistic chance of happening.. 0% chance he gets traded.

I think that's the case with most of what we say on this board, a lot of what we think makes sense, but Goodwin's a different cat. I still don't trust that Weid won't be thrown into some centre ruck contests randomly next week.

Always put ya hand up when it's your time, exited the stoppages in the type of fashion that could make him a gun.
Real question is whether he can keep that up or revert to type again next week or the week after.
Time is on his side. Won’t even be at 100 games this season. Will only get better. Very excited by what he was doing the other night.

Hopefully Max told him to stop hand balling to blokes that are not looking . Looks a different player when he takes a few steps and steadies . Very good tonite

Loved that he went for the banana and kicked it.

The guys composure and decision making is so much better when he puts in 4-5 powerful first steps. Gives him time to wind up and kick through it too. Back to his best the last 2 weeks
I actually felt confident he would kick that banana goal, he just looked so composed. It was highlighted on fox footy last game that Oliver can take his game up a notch if he just use his pace and take a few more steps. I know the coaches would have been working with him on this part of his game but it's a funny coincident just how much he seem to take the game on more this game.

Yep, really good. Hit some lace out kicks as well as another goal.

He has maybe worked out how much time he really has when he picks it up so much faster and cleaner than anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back