Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of Macrea and Bont, we've become a side where our inside players are very inside, and our outside players (some of which are quite soft and don't get enough of it to be damaging) are very outside.

Brisbane have players running through their midfield that can play inside and out of the contest. Helped them generate a lot of footy from clearance but also killed us on turnover. Remember McCluggage's first half against us in Ballarat last year? Killed us inside and out.

Hopefully Baz can assist with this as he keeps developing, but more like this would address a genuine need.

If Richards can't even deliver the footy inside 50 to our advanatge or actually anywhere near a player wearing our jumper, in space with no pressure then he shouldn't be in the team. He can't actually do much else.

I would rather Hayes.

Had a poor night.

Still have faith in Richards but for a guy that is in team for his foot skills and his leg speed, averaging less than 12 touches a game and going at 40.7% kicking efficiency really isn't going to get the job done.

Lolling at people talking about Caracella. Not A chance in hell we will bring on any big names to our coaching staff in the off season. If anything we will probably cut more due to coronavirus.

A few harsh truths out of tonight (and the year) and I’m not posting this to be provocative or inflammatory. Losses like the last couple hurt. Not fun at all. But things need to change or it’ll just be the same.
  • Easton Wood needs to retire. Love the guy and he’ll always be a premiership captain but his tickets punched
  • Gardner needs to go back to VFL and stay there
  • We could/should try and get some sort of trade currency for Ed Richards but at the moment it’ll be minimal
  • Perhaps the same with McLean as much as it pains me to say it
  • I don’t think Bailey Smith has recovered from that concussion
  • We can’t afford to have part-time players like Lloyd, Vandemeer, Lipinski in our best 22. I’m not saying to get rid of them, we just can’t have part timers in our side
  • Despite a few fantastic games, English can still get monstered by some very average rucks
  • Bontempelli has lost a bit of touch around stoppages. I don’t know what to attribute that to but he panics a bit and gets caught far more than normal
  • I have no idea what has caused Bailey Dales drop, he was unstoppable towards the end of 2019
  • Bruce. Well, that sort of goes without saying. He’s just not up to it. I don’t know what sort of money we’re paying but it’s too much. I’ve said it before and been laughed at and had memes thrown around but Matt Taberner would be an upgrade, I don’t think anyone can really argue

Not a happy camper tonight.
The Lions are a good but not great side and we should have done a lot better particularly with the start we had.

The rot started by the self inflicted selection wounds looks like it may have become a chronic infection that has spread through the team.
Some of our more consistent performers are now starting to crack under the strain.

Positives: Macrae was enormous once again. Vandermeer continues to impress. Bont seemed more like his old composed self tonight, Wallis and Cordy consistent competitors at either end. We kept Cameron quiet.

Negatives: Got smashed in the middle despite Macrae's best efforts, forward line continues to be slow and ineffective, Bruce looks lost, and poor Gardner got taken to the cleaners down back as feared. Naughton had his usual bad first game back. English got taught another lesson. Bailey Smith looks like he is running low on petrol tickets, and Pat Lipinski looks like he would prefer to be down hill skiing in the alps rather than feeling the heat on the field in Queensland.

Coaching: Bev is so out of form it's not funny. The move that was begging and screaming to be made was Naughton back onto Hipwood, but as usual Luke was far too stubborn to make it.

I felt sorry for Gardner tonight. Despite being critical of his selection, I thought he started off a lot better than in previous games and did OK early particularly when he found himself up around the wing. He was also very unfortunate with at least one of the early free kicks (and subsequent goals) against him due to poor umpiring. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to be a natural defender. Would really have liked to have seen him pushed forward tonight swapping roles with Naughton.

Time to put a big mirror in Bev's hotel room and get him to take a good hard look at himself.

Wood kept Charlie Cameron goaless, close to the hardest thing to do in the comp. He’s a fine defender who doesn’t get stats.

Sure. But he’s lost that D50 rebound danger to him. He doesn’t take those floating intercept marks like he used to. He was a huge reason we ran deep in 2016. He’s no spring chicken for that sort of role either

A few harsh truths out of tonight (and the year) and I’m not posting this to be provocative or inflammatory. Losses like the last couple hurt. Not fun at all. But things need to change or it’ll just be the same.
  • Easton Wood needs to retire. Love the guy and he’ll always be a premiership captain but his tickets punched
  • Gardner needs to go back to VFL and stay there
  • We could/should try and get some sort of trade currency for Ed Richards but at the moment it’ll be minimal
  • Perhaps the same with McLean as much as it pains me to say it
  • I don’t think Bailey Smith has recovered from that concussion
  • We can’t afford to have part-time players like Lloyd, Vandemeer, Lipinski in our best 22. I’m not saying to get rid of them, we just can’t have part timers in our side
  • Despite a few fantastic games, English can still get monstered by some very average rucks
  • Bontempelli has lost a bit of touch around stoppages. I don’t know what to attribute that to but he panics a bit and gets caught far more than normal
  • I have no idea what has caused Bailey Dales drop, he was unstoppable towards the end of 2019
  • Bruce. Well, that sort of goes without saying. He’s just not up to it. I don’t know what sort of money we’re paying but it’s too much. I’ve said it before and been laughed at and had memes thrown around but Matt Taberner would be an upgrade, I don’t think anyone can really argue

Vandermeer is a “part-timer”?! Gee, whiz.

Sure. But he’s lost that D50 rebound danger to him. He doesn’t take those floating intercept marks like he used to. He was a huge reason we ran deep in 2016. He’s no spring chicken for that sort of role either
That’s why he doesn’t play that role anymore... Crozier does. Wood is now a lockdown defender, not an intercepting one.

I’m completely over our match committee.

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Some say Bevo has too much influence and no one can stand up to him and that he’s surrounded by yes men.

Others have said that Gia is the one who constantly pushes for Gardner.

Whatever the hell it is that’s going on that leads to Gardner and Gowers keeping on coming back into the side, something has got to change.

It’s not just those two.

Toby McLean got dropped after one average-ish performance, whilst the above two have gotten selected again after stinkers.

Rhylee West hasn’t been seen for weeks. Why?

I like Ed Richards and think he is a good and smart footballer, but he has needed to be dropped for at least two weeks now.

I also like Tim English and think he is a very good footballer and will be an even better footballer in time. The fact that he continually has no support in a second ruckman week in week out is mind boggling.

TLDR = the match committee has got to change. Sick of them.

That being said I think Bev Seaver’s the chance to accept a new panel surrounding him and see how that goes first.

I’d be going after Caracella HARD to be senior assistant.
So after one year with Essendon you think he would make another change ?

Clearly there is a plan in place at Essendon which Carcella is a big part of and he is not going leave after 12 months to come to the Bulldogs when he has a history at that club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you watched the season? Is the standout debutant this year. Not even close. You called him a “part-timer”. You’re kidding.

perhaps a bit harsh on a first year player but there are a few who you’d be forgiven for not realising they were playing in the side that week

I’m completely over our match committee.

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Some say Bevo has too much influence and no one can stand up to him and that he’s surrounded by yes men.

Others have said that Gia is the one who constantly pushes for Gardner.

Whatever the hell it is that’s going on that leads to Gardner and Gowers keeping on coming back into the side, something has got to change.

It’s not just those two.

Toby McLean got dropped after one average-ish performance, whilst the above two have gotten selected again after stinkers.

Rhylee West hasn’t been seen for weeks. Why?

I like Ed Richards and think he is a good and smart footballer, but he has needed to be dropped for at least two weeks now.

I also like Tim English and think he is a very good footballer and will be an even better footballer in time. The fact that he continually has no support in a second ruckman week in week out is mind boggling.

TLDR = the match committee has got to change. Sick of them.

I see people on here berate the MC week in week out regardless of selections. That’s a cop out.
We don’t have the depth to be completely honest and until that gets fixed, we won’t be a good side.

I see people on here berate the MC week in week out regardless of selections. That’s a cop out.
We don’t have the depth to be completely honest and until that gets fixed, we won’t be a good side.
Pretty much. There's some frustrating decisions at times, but I honestly think our MC mostly picks the best possible team each week. Who was the alternative to Gardner this week? Lewis Young, Trengove, Butler, Lachie Young all would have been even worse choices this round. We don't have the personnel to cover the loss of Crozier without leaving a gaping hole. Gardner is nowhere near ready and may never be, but we hardly have much better options. Teams like West Coast and Richmond didn't get to where they are overnight

Gardner had 4 goals kicked on him (most free kicks), and someone else (Oliver Gigacz?) posted a screen grab saying he was responsible for 3 direct turnovers that resulted in goals. If none of those goals are somehow doubling up, that means he was responsible for up to 7 goals - if Trengove or Young play and are only responsible for 3-4, that's a massive difference.

Trengove would have been a solid option, who also could have chopped out in the ruck. Lewis Young would have been a solid option who also could have chopped out in the ruck. West was sensational against North and showed he had a future at the top level - dropped after a bad game a week later, yet others like Lloyd get 2, 3 consecutive bad games to turn it around.

IMO we put our best 22 on the bloody park the we can start talking about how our depth looks then. Because to me feels like we go in a man (or two) down every week before a ball is bounced.

Know MD would disagree but I would take Jong on the wing over JJ, Richards and Lipinski who actively run away from the ball in the contest. McLean is ok over the ball, but what is his role. Maybe in defence?
Jong for all of his shortfalls at least is a competitive beast with some speed.

JJ is just about done, Richards is playing on potential not output, Lipinski yep agree and if Mc Lean is not on ball I am unsure what his role is and can see why he is often left out of the team

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Negatives:

Gardner committing the same defensive error twice and it being an easy one to stamp out.

Richards inside 50s

Tim English. His situation has been mismanaged. He should probably play roaming 2nd ruck for a while and we should put an AFL ruckman in the majority of stoppages. I know right? Genius. Enjoy his strength, not suffer for his obvious weakness.

Handballing backwards. We’ve done it for 5 years, maybe longer. Opposition teams love it.

Conceding 1 million uncontested marks

Being perpetually vulnerable defending the rebound whether it’s from stoppage, kick in or turnover

The centre clearances. The end tally flattered us to be honest.

Lipinski not being able to lay a tackle

At one point Jj didn’t rush a behind due to not knowing the rules and got a let off. In the same situation mcgluggage knew what to do

the umpire missing a blatant HTB in front of goal and not pinging Cameron

Positives:

Despite the embarrassment, the last quarter effort suggests they care- they are just brutally disorganised, somewhat inexperienced and being lead poorly by our footy club

Vandermeer. I’ve been skeptical but he sticks tackles, runs with power and kicks true.

Lipinski was smooth a couple times in junk time

Mitch Wallis continues to be a nice story. The goal kicker. Love him.

Macrae is amazing. Love him so much. So so much. Best game for a dogs loss in a long time by an individual mid. Never stops.

You can tell Dale and Naughton will help with our potency

Bailey Williams is good

This was a good post if I do say so myself
Thoughts on Bevo? Or our game style?

I want his head, he’s a shell of what he was IMO. Doesn’t have what it takes to lead us out of this list wasting slump, becoming more and more obvious everygame.

We need more speed!!!! Lachie Neale just has another gear and nobody from our team gets close except for maybe Vandermeer. We are too one-paced when Wallis, Daniel, Mclean, Dunkley, Libba and Lipinski are all around the ball. Cordy is slow, Gardner moves like treacle. Whatever speed Wood had is gone.

I'd offer Shai Bolton 600K to come across and make space by trading Mclean.
Agree was keen to have a crack at Bolton last trade period. We wouldn't be able to afford him now unfortunately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back