Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for someone to educate this English simpleton who has never played the game. At almost all centre bounces we have 3 of Libba, Dunkley, Bont, Macrae and Smith. All quality players.

Why then, do we struggle at clearances so badly. I do not purely reference the win/loss figures but rather the actual quality of the clearance. We lose an awful lot of clearances where the opposition stream out of the stoppage and have 2 or 3 seconds to look for targets. Conversely, our own clearance wins are usually hurried kicks under pressure.

I actually don’t understand it. Why are teams so consistently better at exiting stoppages and also better at containing us when we clearly have the talent around the footy?
I feel it’s on the back English not being strong enough for long enough. He needs to understand he’s a ruckman first and foremost and not a midfielder. He has to channel some inner mongrel from somewhere and start to throw his body into contests get his frame in the way and get ugly. His non contests at times just put our mids on the back foot and the opposition mids just get it too easy.
Tim has all the skill and athleticism but needs to find some anger and aggression towards his opponents and the pill or this will continue to happen, he needs to find the junk yard dog with in him...

After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?
Bevo wouldn’t throw Gardner under the bus either way...but I think you’re probably right.

I don’t think anybody would be surprised to see Gardner named next week if Crozier is still out.

Alright after a night to sleep on the result, it's time to comment in a balanced and controlled manor. Brisbane had 26 shots at Goal
from around four and a half thousand metres gained for those statistic haters and i know you are out there that is way overs and
demonstrates a lack of control on the game in this case in the midfield. The Bulldogs had around 17 shots at goal from around
four thousand four hundred odd metres gained which is actually pretty spot on seasons parity. To me as an outsider the scope to
use Tim English in a forward role as our leading marker of the football is blatant and obvious, to bring in Aaron Naughton as good
as he is was an act of pure desperation that Bevo even excused prior to the game. We did a lot right last night and there are parts
of our game that to me are obviously broken and sadly the players know it and even worse have come to rely on it.

Last edited:

Alright after a night to sleep on the result, it's time to comment in a balanced and controlled manor. Brisbane had 26 shots at Goal
from around four and a half thousand metres gained for those statistic haters and i know you are out there that is way overs and
demonstrates a lack of control on the game in this case in the midfield. The Bulldogs had around 17 shots at goal from around
four thousand four hundred odd metres gained which is actually pretty spot on seasons parody. To me as an outsider the scope to
use Tim English in a forward role as our leading marker of the football is blatant and obvious, to bring in Aaron Naughton as good
as he is was an act of pure desperation that Bevo even excused prior to the game. We did a lot right last night and there are parts
of our game that to me are obviously broken and sadly the players know it and even worse have come to rely on it.

Good post, statistics + comments! 😉

Apologies for my pedantry, but what I enjoyed most about the post was your inadvertent(?) use of ‘parody’ instead of ‘parity’! 😀

Edit: had to take marks off for punctuation (or complete lack of it!) though Yoji, sorry.

Last edited:
English is tired & doesnt have a tank yet, thats the problem with him at the moment IMO. He jogged around last night looking like he had concrete boots and could barely keep up at times.

Apologies for my pedantry, but what I enjoyed most about the post was your inadvertent(?) use of ‘parody’ instead of ‘parity’! 😀

Edit: had to take marks off for punctuation (or complete lack of it!) though Yoji, sorry.)
Hah yes ... must be some name for using the wrong word but it turns out to be accurate??????

Edit: had to take marks off for punctuation (or complete lack of it!) though Yoji, sorry.)
Maybe some of the players were parodying real footballers, i will edit it i am shamed.

Didn’t Bevo say around round one or two that it almost felt like the season going ahead didn’t “feel right” Or was “insensitive”? Hubs/staff getting sacked etc... just don’t think it’s our year.

Last edited:
English is tired & doesnt have a tank yet, thats the problem with him at the moment IMO. He jogged around last night looking like he had concrete boots and could barely keep up at times.
That could explain it to some extent and agree with True Dog above. Frustrating to see him not even putting his hand up when competing in the ruck at times. I think and hope he will be a great player but seems he is not up to doing it all by himself atm

Why would Lewis Young be a worse choice than Gardiner? MC played him in a final last year as a KPD?
He gets out bodied worse than Gardner, turns it over and makes poor decisions. In time I think Young will be a better player, but not now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want to sink the boot in but if we select Gardner again we are not serious about contending or rebuilding we are entering north levels of running a club. He does not have afl qualities, he holds his opponent got pinned twice and should have been pinned early on big O as well. He puts his fist up and hope it makes contact he doesn’t actually commit to the spoil.

On bevo I don’t think we sack him but there needs to be strong words to him and a shake up of the coaching panel, whether that comes as a result of a football department review or just through common sense. 3/4 years missing finals (don’t see us making it this year) since winning the flag in 2016 is not good enough. In that time zero coaching staff changes. Selection has been a clear issue and structures and game plan has been an issue. People say bevo is stubborn but it’s only in particular areas, like not tagging, giving battlers plenty of opportunities and sticking with structures that aren’t working. Yet at the same time he dropped the 3 tall forward line after one game where everything went wrong, drops certain players after one bad game.

Our midfield isn’t the strength we think it is. We are one paced in there mostly but refuse to throw other guys in there. We are very unaccountable, we lack structure, the amount of times we didn’t have a defensive sweeper allowing easy goals is ridiculous. We work hard forward but lack defensive effort.

Forward line functioned so much better with naughton up there reduced the opposition marking the ball, spread defenders better. Still lack that pressure forward with speed and goal sense.

Backline I have worries over, no doubt we have some very good attacking running defenders in JJ Daniel Williams Crozier, the issue is the defending ability of these guys which makes me wonder can we play them all? We lack a lockdown mid-small defender, I think cordy and keath can hold the kpd positions, just can’t play Gardner.

Ruck is a massive issue, English does look spent but 8 day break he probably bounces back, we’ve seen what he can do on many occasions this year but he is probably 2-3 years off being that consistent ruck that can do it week in week out. Can we carry him for those 2-3 years though? Or will that waste our best players in their prime.

He gets out bodied worse than Gardner, turns it over and makes poor decisions. In time I think Young will be a better player, but not now

Lewis young is a better player on football IQ alone than Gardner. He reads the play better, is a better mark, is no worse of a kick than Gardner. The thing that young is lacking is body on body defending but Gardner lacks that too and his spoiling isn’t coming across with a big punch it’s close your eyes put your fist in the air and hope it makes contact style of spoiling.

Lewis young is a superior footballer to Gardner and it would be a lot more tolerable having him beaten at times than Gardner because we can all see the potential in young

Last edited:
A worrying feature of his centre bounces was the number of times he took his eyes off the ball and looked at his opponent instead. Not going to win many taps that way.

His body and mind are both way down. Time for a rest.

In Gardeners defence at least 2 of the free kicks were very very soft and were certainly not reciprocated when our forwards were contesting. Brisbanes midfield dominance made it pretty hard to defend so many entries. It is a team game after all. Bailey Smith has been off for a few weeks and his effectiveness has decreased. I wonder if the concussion is having lasting effects. We are all disappointed but the absolute vitriol that is thrown at one player is disgusting.

I’m kind of sick of the accusations that if you comment on a players footballing ability or lack there of, the players selection in the team, the coaches coaching ability or anything football related that is a negative somehow that constitutes vitriol that we should all be ashamed of and that is akin to death threats.

Seriously it’s a football forum to discuss guess what football and dissecting a players ability or coaches ability and team selection is a discussion about football. Not a single poster is getting personal about a player or coach, or touching on anything even remotely offensive. The amount of your opinion is different to mine so it’s offensive statements is ridiculous and a sign of society atm.

In Gardeners defence at least 2 of the free kicks were very very soft and were certainly not reciprocated when our forwards were contesting. Brisbanes midfield dominance made it pretty hard to defend so many entries. It is a team game after all. Bailey Smith has been off for a few weeks and his effectiveness has decreased. I wonder if the concussion is having lasting effects. We are all disappointed but the absolute vitriol that is thrown at one player is disgusting.
Ryan Gardner went at 100% Disposal Efficiency yesterday, he is a scapegoat and should never be held up as the reason the team
wins or losses. Sometimes the knife block is the obvious place to stick the knives. (Analogy 101)

After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?

I can’t listen to his pressers. Win or lose, they get on my nerves.

2 things that absolute break me from the Beveridge presser:

1. Him referencing the age profile. Again. You chose this age profile luke. You’ve chosen to consistently field underaged teams. ENOUGH!

2. Being pleased with how we fought it out. There has never been more garbage time in the history of the game than the last quarter of a game that a top team has sewn up, when they’re trying to preserve players with so many games in so few days. That is utter GARBAGE time Luke. If Brisbane needed to keep the foot to the floor, they would have. Junk time possessions and goals to pad stats for some of our boys in the last.

1. Him referencing the age profile. Again. You chose this age profile luke. You’ve chosen to consistently field underaged teams. ENOUGH!

2. Being pleased with how we fought it out. There has never been more garbage time in the history of the game than the last quarter of a game that a top team has sewn up, when they’re trying to preserve players with so many games in so few days. That is utter GARBAGE time Luke. If Brisbane needed to keep the foot to the floor, they would have. Junk time possessions and goals to pad stats for some of our boys in the last.
I said this last night. It would have almost been better to get the 40 point loss we deserved. At least that way Bevo can’t delude himself into thinking we were a tweak away from getting back into the game.

As it stands, Bevo is pretty content with things bar an awful 5 minute spell.

Based on last nights availability, only Trengrove and Dickson would be available to provide an experience boost (ridiculous how Trengrove doesn't get more games). You are right though, too often he goes with that cop out excuse. Rings hollow when he constantly drops McLean out of the side.

Duryea, Jong, Hunter, Crozier out does hurt though. They are in the experience sweet spot that we require.

On the one hand it's good we fought it out and turned a likely 8 or 9 goal loss into a 4 goal loss, but that might detract from the wake up call that's needed. Too many broken tackles, some bizarre skill errors and too many players aren't up to it, but they're somehow still selected :huh:
We’re surely leading the comp in broken tackles against. So many times it’s either broken or a decent enough possession is delivered against us anyway when we seemingly have an opposition player cold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back