Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the point when the game plan involves chipping the ball around the arc all day. We barely end up honouring the lead or even giving them a run at it all. We keep searching for the non-existent perfect pass.
We absolutely don't give our KPF a chance with the way we fiddle around and give the opposition time to flood back and close down any space in our forward half!!

I’d certainly prefer Lewis Young or Trengove at a push but Gardner was not the reason we lost that game.
Not the reason but gave them 3 goals to clear holding the man decisions. Take them away we have a close game on our hands. Smashed in the middle in the second quarter as well.
We lack a good KPD to get a stop Gardiner no good, Cordy over rated can’t mark or beat anyone 1 on 1, and Keith is trying yet no star either. None of them offer anything is offense either.

We need a genuine full back, like Brian Lake in his prime. Cordy and Keith manning big key forwards is not the answer, mostly they get murdered one on one. We need to play another ruck/resting forward but not Trengove. He makes us far too slow, watch the Richmond game. Lewis Young is the perfect option.

We need hybrid forwards. We’ve got Dale, Greene and Schache. For as soft as he is, we’re a better forward line with Schache in there. My current set up would be Naughton, Wallis, West, Schache, Dale, Lewis Young resting ruck swapping with English. No Bruce and Lloyd coming off the bench

Pretty much. There's some frustrating decisions at times, but I honestly think our MC mostly picks the best possible team each week. Who was the alternative to Gardner this week? Lewis Young, Trengove, Butler, Lachie Young all would have been even worse choices this round. We don't have the personnel to cover the loss of Crozier without leaving a gaping hole. Gardner is nowhere near ready and may never be, but we hardly have much better options. Teams like West Coast and Richmond didn't get to where they are overnight
Why would Lewis Young be a worse choice than Gardiner? MC played him in a final last year as a KPD?

I’d certainly prefer Lewis Young or Trengove at a push but Gardner was not the reason we lost that game.

But he was a big part of it. A better player wouldn't have had 4 goals kicked on him. I just about threw my remote through my TV when he left Hipwood standing in the goa lsquare to "influence" a contest that another player was already at - he just got in the way, ball went to Hipwood - easiest goal. Don't even start me on the holding frees. Granted i'll give him the one where Hipwood slipped and got "brushed" high

Now if you look at the flip side, and the free kick that should have been paid to Dunkley inside our 50 (margin back to around 18pts if he kicks it) that went down the other end for I think consecutive goals, followed by one right near the end of the term to go into the last term over 30pts down. We get the first of the last quarter, then Neale being tackled looks at the umpire, sees he's in trouble & blatently throws the ball out. Brisbane score. We got the rough end of the stick and it influenced the result. There was another where Wallis was hel off the ball right in front of goal - paly on

Umpires are completely out of touch with the game - go and watch the Rich v Port game and see the Rich goal that should have been HTB against Riewoldt and then the horrible double 50m where the Rich player is running flat out to get back to the mark. others may have a different opinion than me on these, but it *s up games

3 of their past 4 games have been at Adelaide Oval. Now they hit the road for a neutral game against Geelong, before getting back to Adelaide Oval the following week. They've played just 2 games all season where the opposition are genuinely on their home ground. Same with Brisbane actually.

Not knocking either of them necessarily. Good luck to them. But it's not bad if you can get it and start to build momentum.

Just an observation. Dogs can't play 4 quarters at the moment, so we won't win many games wherever we play until we fix that.
We were pretty stiff to draw Port at home given we also played them only once last year, on their home deck.

similar with Brisbane, the only game they had at the Gabba in the four week block was against us, and the evidence is there that they play worst at Metricon.

Said it at the time the draw came out but most were only focused on the short turnaround times.

in saying that while I think we would have beaten Port at Metricon, it wouldn’t have mattered vs Brisbane and only losing by 4 goals flattered us

Regarding leadership- is it time to look at getting a Luke Hodge Type player in like Brisbane have done?

I know it’s close to no chance but a few free agents I’d consider :
Simpson, Hurn, Isaac Smith and Mundy.

Heath Shaw would be the one I'd go after. Premiership player. Oozes leadership. Would come cheap.

But he was a big part of it. A better player wouldn't have had 4 goals kicked on him. I just about threw my remote through my TV when he left Hipwood standing in the goa lsquare to "influence" a contest that another player was already at - he just got in the way, ball went to Hipwood - easiest goal. Don't even start me on the holding frees. Granted i'll give him the one where Hipwood slipped and got "brushed" high

Now if you look at the flip side, and the free kick that should have been paid to Dunkley inside our 50 (margin back to around 18pts if he kicks it) that went down the other end for I think consecutive goals, followed by one right near the end of the term to go into the last term over 30pts down. We get the first of the last quarter, then Neale being tackled looks at the umpire, sees he's in trouble & blatently throws the ball out. Brisbane score. We got the rough end of the stick and it influenced the result. There was another where Wallis was hel off the ball right in front of goal - paly on

Umpires are completely out of touch with the game - go and watch the Rich v Port game and see the Rich goal that should have been HTB against Riewoldt and then the horrible double 50m where the Rich player is running flat out to get back to the mark. others may have a different opinion than me on these, but it fu**s up games
The Dunkley one inside our 50 would have made it only 12 points. Ouch

Brisbane was professional enough to get the job done before half time when it mattered then did enough without going overboard to keep us at arms length.

24 point margin hides many of our issues from coach to selection to application and skill.

Very disappointing and disillusioned.

For the first time in my life as a Bulldog supporter, I didn’t watch or hear the second half, just better for my mental health. It is a tough time for the team at the moment, being out of Victoria, but other teams are coping and playing well. I just don’t know what we are trying to achieve at the moment, I feel very disillusioned.

Time for someone to educate this English simpleton who has never played the game. At almost all centre bounces we have 3 of Libba, Dunkley, Bont, Macrae and Smith. All quality players.

Why then, do we struggle at clearances so badly. I do not purely reference the win/loss figures but rather the actual quality of the clearance. We lose an awful lot of clearances where the opposition stream out of the stoppage and have 2 or 3 seconds to look for targets. Conversely, our own clearance wins are usually hurried kicks under pressure.

I actually don’t understand it. Why are teams so consistently better at exiting stoppages and also better at containing us when we clearly have the talent around the footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time in my life as a Bulldog supporter, I didn’t watch or hear the second half, just better for my mental health. It is a tough time for the team at the moment, being out of Victoria, but other teams are coping and playing well. I just don’t know what we are trying to achieve at the moment, I feel very disillusioned.

Even tougher time being in Victoria, particularly Melbourne.

They’ve got it a hell of a lot easier that many people who back here are out of work, confined to home, battling with mental health, not to mention our health workers and those who’ve lost people to the virus.

They’re in Queensland, many with their families, a well paid and secure job, a virus free state, and as supporters, the least we could expect is better than some of the limp, disinterested performances we’ve been dished up so far.

Edit: By the way, I’m totally in favour of the lockdown FWIW. Has to be done.

Last edited:
Time for someone to educate this English simpleton who has never played the game. At almost all centre bounces we have 3 of Libba, Dunkley, Bont, Macrae and Smith. All quality players.

Why then, do we struggle at clearances so badly. I do not purely reference the win/loss figures but rather the actual quality of the clearance. We lose an awful lot of clearances where the opposition stream out of the stoppage and have 2 or 3 seconds to look for targets. Conversely, our own clearance wins are usually hurried kicks under pressure.

I actually don’t understand it. Why are teams so consistently better at exiting stoppages and also better at containing us when we clearly have the talent around the footy?
It comes down to leg speed apart from B Smith non of our mids have any pace so are always have opposition mids hot on our hammer and therefore have pressured clearances.
Our lack of pace allows the opposition if they get a ball to the outside to just run away with it, and that gives them time to select a good target and put it too advantage with their clearances.

Pretty much. There's some frustrating decisions at times, but I honestly think our MC mostly picks the best possible team each week. Who was the alternative to Gardner this week? Lewis Young, Trengove, Butler, Lachie Young all would have been even worse choices this round. We don't have the personnel to cover the loss of Crozier without leaving a gaping hole. Gardner is nowhere near ready and may never be, but we hardly have much better options. Teams like West Coast and Richmond didn't get to where they are overnight
All would have been much much better choices than Gardner, I mean, obviously.

The bloke let soft as butter Eric *ing Hipwood kick 5 on him.

he is the worst player I’ve ever seen pull on a bulldogs jumper, I’ve never seen a player look as out of his depth as he does. Watch him every single time the ball comes in he’s completely lost, has no confidence in his ability he’s literally faced away from play just watching his man. It’s ******* u15s level. He has no skills, no footy brain and he doesn’t even have any athletic ability. I could understand if he was a crazy athlete trying to learn the game but it’s not like that. He has literally no upside, why does he keep getting a game it’s ******* crazy.

All would have been much much better choices than Gardner, I mean, obviously.

The bloke let soft as butter Eric f*n Hipwood kick 5 on him.

he is the worst player I’ve ever seen pull on a bulldogs jumper, I’ve never seen a player look as out of his depth as he does. Watch him every single time the ball comes in he’s completely lost, has no confidence in his ability he’s literally faced away from play just watching his man. It’s ******* u15s level. He has no skills, no footy brain and he doesn’t even have any athletic ability. I could understand if he was a crazy athlete trying to learn the game but it’s not like that. He has literally no upside, why does he keep getting a game it’s ******* crazy.
If I see Gardner picked I just don't think Bev is serious about winning. He may have some other agenda in picking Gardner but it's not winning.

Gotta admit when everything else is combined Bev's attitude at selection it has made it impossible to invest much in this season. Bev sure as s**t hasn't.

Just give WC the flag and be done with it.

Regardless of which alternative to Gardiner that we should have picked, we simply aren't winning that game with how our midfield lost. You put Crozier back and peak Dale Morris and we would still struggle to win that game. Lions were always going to be tough to beat on their own home deck. And it was curtains when their midfield got on a rampage.

A lot would need to go right for us to beat them. Bruce being inform, Naughton will more game time etc would also help.

Dogs started well, kept the game open early Q1, our forwards were getting good delivery and got a couple of goals up

Fagan chuckled and said oh Bevo I see what you are doing.

Brisbane readjusted and were never going to be beaten from then on

Bulldogs had no plan B apart from moving Bont up forward which kills our midfield

After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?

After that performance last night, I refuse to attend any match for the rest of the year! Gosh, darn it, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore. grrr... :mad:

Dogs started well, kept the game open early Q1, our forwards were getting good delivery and got a couple of goals up

Fagan chuckled and said oh Bevo I see what you are doing.

Brisbane readjusted and were never going to be beaten from then on

Bulldogs had no plan B apart from moving Bont up forward which kills our midfield
What was Bev doing? How did the Lions adjust?

After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?
I understand we desperately need a big, strong and athletic defensive stopper, but Gardner has some of the worst footballing instincts and general ability I’ve ever seen. That is no exaggeration. It’s an absolutely indictment on Bevo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back