Toast Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

so yeah, best and fairests - and lets be honest One of Jack’s came in a very very average team,
So you hold that against Riewoldt, While then saying

no one has said he’s a dud. What support has Hawkins had since becoming a permanent forward?

So Which is it? Hawkins should be rated better because of a lack of support up forward, Or Riewoldt has his achievements because he had a lack of support? Be consistent.

Why, WHY do people do this?

mention Carey in a footballers conversation or Bradman in a cricket chat and immediately - ‘comparing him to Bradman? F*** off.’
People do it because, you know, it’s right 99.9% of the time.

Up there with other puzzling questions such as why people drive on the correct side of the road instead of into oncoming traffic.

So you hold that against Riewoldt, While then saying

So Which is it? Hawkins should be rated better because of a lack of support up forward, Or Riewoldt has his achievements because he had a lack of support? Be consistent.

my comment about Hawkins was literally in response to someone who’s argument was propped up by the Jack Had No Support defence.

People do it because, you know, it’s right 99.9% of the time.

Up there with other puzzling questions such as why people drive on the correct side of the road instead of into oncoming traffic.

it’s not right. That’s why they are called comparisons and metaphors and analogies - not similes.

If I said there was a Daicos like quality about some kid that’s just kicked a couple of freak goals from the boundary line, I’m not saying ‘he’s as good as Daicos.’

when people point out that Darren Bravo looks EXACTLY like Brian Lara batting, they’re not saying he’s as good.

when people say ‘is Lyon our best spinner since warne’ pretty sure they’re not making any attempt whatsoever to say he’s in the same league.

it’s not right. That’s why they are called comparisons and metaphors and analogies - not similes.

If I said there was a Daicos like quality about some kid that’s just kicked a couple of freak goals from the boundary line, I’m not saying ‘he’s as good as Daicos.’

when people point out that Darren Bravo looks EXACTLY like Brian Lara batting, they’re not saying he’s as good.

when people say ‘is Lyon our best spinner since warne’ pretty sure they’re not making any attempt whatsoever to say he’s in the same league.
Jeez you love getting worked up over nothing. 3rd post in this thread was literally Hawkins = best since Carey and pretty sure even that was tongue in cheek from said poster.

another AA jumper, and inexplicably denied one in 2018, another 20 goals this season and he gets to 50 for the 7th time in 9 seasons (his two misses were 46 when he missed four games, and 49).

people saying he’s at his career peak right now are probably right. But it’s not as though he been languishing in the reserves kicking 1.3 every week for the past decade.
Mediocre performer for much of his career. Still a good player though not within a bulls roar of the others mentioned.

People were disputing best since Carey.

the post I originally responded to was solely based around the fact that Carey’s name was mentioned.

there’s no argument anyone could make to say he’s the most dominant or best since Carey. Franklin owns that title and there’s a few more who have better claims than Hawkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

simply trying to apply some logic in a place generally devoid of it doesnt = getting worked up.
The logic you think you’re trying to apply isn’t even logical though.

I mean, you seem to be puzzled as to why people think certain statements and/or comparisons are ridiculous. Now excuse me while I go melt over my mates refusing to entertain that Ben Simmons is the best since MJ

I would rate both jack Riewoldt and Josh kennedy above hawkins. Jack Riewoldt has a big disadvantage when it comes to size, yet is a very good contested mark and ground ball player. Josh kennedy is consistently a better kick, despite hes awkward run up.

The logic you think you’re trying to apply isn’t even logical though.

I mean, you seem to be puzzled as to why people think certain statements and/or comparisons are ridiculous. Now excuse me while I go melt over my mates refusing to entertain that Ben Simmons is the best since MJ

If you didn’t agree with that you’d be right - if you blew up because Jordan’s name was mentioned you’d be completely misinterpreting what was being proposed

I would rate both jack Riewoldt and Josh kennedy above hawkins. Jack Riewoldt has a big disadvantage when it comes to size, yet is a very good contested mark and ground ball player. Josh kennedy is consistently a better kick, despite hes awkward run up.

size wise Hawkins is a lot bigger but there’s only 3cm difference in height

If you didn’t agree with that you’d be right - if you blew up because Jordan’s name was mentioned you’d be completely misinterpreting what was being proposed
Who’s blowing up here? The opinion was simply that Hawkins is not on the same level as Carey. The mental gymnastics you’re doing over something so simple is comical.

Who’s blowing up here? The opinion was simply that Hawkins is not on the same level as Carey. The mental gymnastics you’re doing over something so simple is comical.

It’s a general gripe within the forum not this discussion. Hawkins clearly ISNT the best forward since Carey. It’s just a general thing that comes up across dozens of discussions - how dare you mention so and so in the same breath as someone else’ when in reality no one is comparing them

Back