Toast Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

Is Tom Hawkins the Best All-Round Forward in the AFL Right Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredibly athletic clearly 2m in the high jump as a junior. Injuries destroyed that but has completely change his game to be effective. Credit to him.

Over his career I have him behind Kennedy and about level with j Reiwoldt

And the length of Flemington behind Franklin

Tom Hawkins is an amazingly underrated footballer but he only had one good season in his first 5-6 years.

BE. PATIENT. WITH. YOUR. FORWARDS.

JK and JR have been outstanding for a longer period of time. Still believe JH is good footballer but nowhere near the other two.

riewoldt had a breakout year in 2010. Hawkins’ was 2012.

riewoldt has had a very quiet 19-20 (not his fault as such, he was injured for a lot of last year obviously) so I’d suggest they’ve been outstanding for the same period of time.

JK and JR have been outstanding for a longer period of time. Still believe JH is good footballer but nowhere near the other two.

Factoring in injuries and their career arc, I'd say Hawkins has had longer, more consistent production (8 straight years and counting of 90 marks/45 goals/15 goal assists, something JK and Jack have never achieved at any stage), that looks like it could continue for a while yet.

riewoldt has had a very quiet 19-20 (not his f
Factoring in injuries and their career arc, I'd say Hawkins has had longer, more consistent production (8 straight years and counting of 90 marks/45 goals/15 goal assists, something JK and Jack have never achieved at any stage), that looks like it could continue for a while yet.
Agree to totally disagree.

Tom Hawkins is an amazingly underrated footballer but he only had one good season in his first 5-6 years.

BE. PATIENT. WITH. YOUR. FORWARDS.

Honestly, he entered his prime when most players do, in their 5th-7th year, around 23-25 years of age. Peaking at an earlier age shouldn't be the expectation, because it is largely the exception, not the rule.

I think having some of his best seasons at an age when he should be "past his prime" (2018-onwards, aged 30 plus) more than makes up for his "slow start", and is arguably more impressive than "bursting onto the scene" early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has not been a more dominant forward since Carey.

Without a doubt the most criminally underrated player of the last twenty years. He doesn't get as noticed because instead of kicking bags of ten, he is always looking to involve his teammates in the game.
Oh and buddy

Quality 50-a-year focal point type since 2011 GF, and seems a lovely bloke (even if he reminds me of transformed fish face Zarbon at times), but I'd take JJK over him in a heartbeat.

JJK and Jack at their best were able to tear the comp apart, and have been in late-stage contention for the coleman on several occasions

Fun fact: we both ran our first marathon on the same day, as well as being '88 NSW babies (2006 is my draft class), so I've always quietly hoped he did well

Last edited:
3 Coleman's, 3 AA and 2 flags, one with less tall support than Hawkins has ever had.

Yeah total dud
the all australian in 2018 was a joke. It should of been hawkins instead who was better then riewoldt in almost every statistic. Hawkins and franklin were so far ahead of every other forward that year it wasnt funny.

and what tall support has hawkins had since he was a kid? pods for a year. he has had no support for 7 years. And lets face it we are only even comparing the two because hawkins stuffed his back in 2013 which impacted him greatly for 5 years.

riewoldt has had a very quiet 19-20 (not his fault as such, he was injured for a lot of last year obviously) so I’d suggest they’ve been outstanding for the same period of time.
There is the small matter of having a taller marking fwd in our team now.

Hawkins is a great player and good to see him get alotve space last night also for a bloke who’s built the proverbial hasnt really copped many running injuries, must be super professional to keep at the level.
Top 5 last 10 years

Tbh he probably should've won the Coleman in 2012 where he finished 2nd to Riewoldt by 3 goals and went into the final round only down 1 and had the ball kicked down his throat all game and kicked 4 whilst passing off many more than he should've. If he was a bit more selfish that game he'd probably have finished on double that of 4 goals.

There is the small matter of having a taller marking fwd in our team now.

Hawkins is a great player and good to see him get alotve space last night also for a bloke who’s built the proverbial hasnt really copped many running injuries, must be super professional to keep at the level.
Top 5 last 10 years

Hawkins suffered a debilitating back injury that looked like it was potentially career-ending with the way he was performing due to it but was able to reinvent himself to what he is today.

Nah most goals, FF.
Well, there's an asterisk to that given Geelong have played two extra games.

That aside, kicking the most goals means you should, as a general rule, be picked in the side. Not necessarily at FF.

Lance Franklin, for example, won the Coleman in 2017 and was picked at CHF.

Back