Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Still no image of the Boundary Umpire setting the mark.

Shouldn't you be in a thread somewhere talking about how cooked Essendon's future is?

foxfooty showed a graphic of where the ball went out of bounds. Boundary umpire signals on the full, then runs to the exact spot and points to it as normal.

I don’t get why fans blindly agree with an umpire just because the call went their way? It’s nothing to do with Carlton, they did nothing wrong. The umpire stuffed it up.

if Freo won the game in the exact same circumstance reversed, I’d celebrate, laugh & agree that the umpire completely cooked it.

It's always that last play that makes the game. How many other decisions are made throughout the game that gift goals to teams? Why don't they come into the equation as to whether a team is 'robbed' or not?

those decisions during the game are both ways, and yes, always have some questionable ones.

but in this case it’s obviously different. There were 5 decisions the umpires made in the last 10 seconds, 3 of which were wrong

those decisions during the game are both ways, and yes, always have some questionable ones.

but in this case it’s obviously different. There were 5 decisions the umpires made in the last 10 seconds, 3 of which were wrong

Both ways huh? Did they lead to goals? In a game where each side kicked 5 goals, 2 of Freo's were the softest you'll ever see.

The deliberate was there, the downfield free was there, Docherty played on outside the boundary but that's a technical thing. If he had have played on over the line, he still would have run clear so you'd be looking for the ump to bring him back over the mark in that situation, the ball looked to have crossed the 50, over Gibbons head as he was standing on the 50, not going out right beside him, and yeah Gibbons was closest, but I suspect the umpire gave the kick to who he believed was taking the mark for the Fremantle kick in from out of bounds, not to who was closest when the ball went out. The confusion caused that mistake, although the umpire can only call it from when he knows the decision and not from vision on the TV.

Last edited:

We was robbed, but it’s been happening for a long time. It’s only coz this game was broadcast in to Melbourne on fta on a Saturday night during a pandemic that this has got the interest it has. Those umpires were hopeless

As Freo supporters, we’ll laugh about this in a few years.

It’s like when Matthew Carr was ironed out after a running shot at goal and kicked a behind. The umpire asked the opposition player whether he wanted the behind to stand, or if he wanted Carr to take the shot again.

Both ways huh? Did they lead to goals? In a game where each side kicked 5 goals, 2 of Freo's were the softest you'll ever see.

The deliberate was there, the downfield free was there, Docherty played on outside the boundary but that's a technical thing. If he had have played on over the line, he still would have run clear so you'd be looking for the ump to bring him back over the mark in that situation, the ball looked to have crossed the 50, over Gibbons head as he was standing on the 50, not going out right beside him, and yeah Gibbons was closest, but I suspect the umpire gave the kick to who he believed was taking the mark for the Fremantle kick in from out of bounds, not to who was closest when the ball went out. The confusion caused that mistake, although the umpire can only call it from when he knows the decision and not from vision on the TV.

Downfield free was the softest of the game. Widely condemned by all media, commentary, ex players etc etc.

But they paid it and we move on.

no point whinging about earlier frees. You won haha. Plus Weitering got a bath by the Craberner. Can’t blame him for getting nervous and grabbing the jumper 😉

Re Docherty, not sure how you can call it a technical thing, where he advanced the ball 15m by running outside the boundary line.

This then meant that he was able to bomb the ball to the 50m arc out of bounds on the full.

The only reason he could get it that far as the ump didnt make him kick the footy from behind the mark.

None of the stupidity happens if the ump does his job in that moment.

If ever anyone was in any doubt that umpires can influence games, watch the last 5 minutes of this game.
Downfield frees ignored, deliberate OOB’s, clear HTB’s ignored, then the absolute joke of a free to Car with 17 seconds left.
Magnificent kick by Newnes, but if he’d missed I’m sure the umpires would have found a way to give him another go.
Just disgraceful, and almost worthy of match fixing investigations. (Late edit: crossout, unfair on my part)
(and no, I don’t gamble, there‘s no ulterior motive here)
How on earth has our game come to this?
Examine ALL the game and get back to me nuffy

Re Docherty, not sure how you can call it a technical thing, where he advanced the ball 15m by running outside the boundary line.

This then meant that he was able to bomb the ball to the 50m arc out of bounds on the full.

The only reason he could get it that far as the ump didnt make him kick the footy from behind the mark.

None of the stupidity happens if the ump does his job in that moment.
1597663500265.png

The issue is not the free kick. The issue is the down field. The rule was officiated incorrectly. If freo were going to do anything this season they should lodge a formal complaint for siren gate 2.0. But as freo are unlucky to make finals they probably wont. But they should, that kind of blatant not knowing the rule from an umpire is shocking and shakes the foundation of the game.

Attachments

• 1597663529191.png
    1597663529191.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The deliberate was there, the downfield free was there, I'll have to go back to the vision to check where the mark should have been, and yeah Gibbons was closest, but I suspect the umpire gave the kick to who he believed was taking the mark for the Fremantle kick in from out of bounds, not to who was closest when the ball went out. The confusion caused that mistake, although the umpire can only call it from when he knows the decision and not from vision on the TV.

That's absurd logic. An umpiring decision doesn't become right or wrong depending on whether it results in a score.

Clearly umpiring decisions that result directly in scores have a greater impact on the outcome of the game. But just because Taberner and Lobb convert their frees doesn't mean that Carlton are "owed" an umpiring decision or five in their favour (that they wouldn't have been otherwise had both missed).

The fact is that both teams had 2 goals from missed, soft or wrong umpiring decisions (Taberner - soft, Lobb - soft, Cottrell - missed throw against Cripps, Newnes - wrong player from the wrong position).

Most games have a few goals scored on the back of soft, or missed decisions. In no game I can remember, have multiple contentious decisions and errors occurred, within the final 20 seconds, all favouring one team, resulting in a change in outcome of the game.

That's absurd logic. An umpiring decision doesn't become right or wrong depending on whether it results in a score.

Clearly umpiring decisions that result directly in scores have a greater impact on the outcome of the game. But just because Taberner and Lobb convert their frees doesn't mean that Carlton are "owed" an umpiring decision or five in their favour (that they wouldn't have been otherwise had both missed).

The fact is that both teams had 2 goals from missed, soft or wrong umpiring decisions (Taberner - soft, Lobb - soft, Cottrell - missed throw against Cripps, Newnes - wrong player from the wrong position).

Most games have a few goals scored on the back of soft, or missed decisions. In no game I can remember, have multiple contentious decisions and errors occurred, within the final 20 seconds, all favouring one team, resulting in a change in outcome of the game.
loving your salty tears..

?

Where did i argue the merits of the free kicks.

The ump always pays that deliberate in the last minute of the game for the narrative ( irrespective of the fact that they didnt pay a deliberate all game before that due to the wet conditions.

What im arguing is the incompetence of the ump to not force Docherty to kick over the mark.

Had he done so the brayshaw free kick doesnt happen so therefore its a moot point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back