Thoughts on AFL website? How do you rate afl.com in 2020 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The one redeeming feature of the website is that it is independent of the AF.......

...... actually, there are no redeeming features.

I actually believe that the driver of the shorter quarters and lower scoring games are so those damn push notifications of a "close game" can go out...

Clicking through to the match centre is an ordeal and a half. Everything has somehow become harder to navigate. I hate how you get redirected to a new page when you want to look at the broadcast options for a particular game and looking up the fixtures is a clunky experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so clunky and far more difficult to navigate then it should be. AFL should really be embarrassed by how amateur it is and how it has actually gotten progressively worse - probably by some idiot(s) trying to justify their role in "development and innovation" or some other horseshit.

Most of the issues have already been brought up in the thread and they are pretty much spot on. I also have an issue with the content that they try and ram down your throat that is only indirectly related to the actual game in the name of having a range and diverse amount of content. Sure have that content, but get the basics and what should be priorities correct first.

The mobile app is better. I also miss the days of the tracker as that was an awesome feature. I find the website hard to navigate and it isn't intuitive. You have to click on matches then fixtures to find the scores. Why not call it scores? Fixtures implies a page with information about where things are being played and a list of fixtures for each team. And if you don't want a scores page, why not have a tracker on the top like ESPN does? Why not just copy what ESPN does with everything (ditch the dumb talking heads). People shouldn't have to click on a menu then click on a button to find the most basic information which is what the scores are.

And the little things annoy me. Like why doesn't the ladder have sortable tabs at the top to sort teams by say percentage? This is an issue for the website and the app. AFL tables has that and that website wasn't built by a billion dollar organisation. It looks like it was designed in 1998 but it does EVERYTHING you want it to and works seamlessly. The stats page should be a top down table a la footywire. Instead it's rows of players with photos of the players.

The embedding of teams into articles is dumb. Should be an actual page which has them. The ladder needs to be on the front page maybe with some stats as well. Instead, it's just a sea of videos without any guiding organisation to help you find what you want. The content is bad apart from the match highlights.

The website seems like it was designed for style and video content but not other aspects of functionality. It's got a modern look but it's clunky.

Innovation isn't innovation when it is *ation.

The AFL have cooked their own website. It is the AFLX of websites. They've tried to throw in too many nifty innovative things and now it doesn't even know what it is.

I am a graphic designer and I dabble into web development from time to time so I like to think I have some idea of what makes an attractive design in that space, there is a foundation for a great website there but it's like they've just thrown in all these different plugins that just don't work with one another.

You used to be able to see right on the home page, every AFL game of the round at the top of the one screen (no scrolling). A single click, and you get the full match coverage.

Now you have to click matches, click fixtures, wait for whatever junk is going on in the background that causes the page to load painfully slowly, and you get to the games but they're set out so bulky and awkwardly that you have to go scrolling through for the game you want. Click the game you want and you've got another disaster staring you in the face, good luck if you just wanted a single page with all the stats because they're all over the ******* shop. Just awful.

It has always been a pile of sh*t. Each year I think it couldn't get any worse but somehow they manage to devolve it in to a bigger pile of sh*t.

This - but even by their appalling standings not having any scores or matches on the front page is an utter disgrace - who did they seriously design to come up with this crap?

Probably cause someone in AFL house has a cousin who's a web developer that needed a job.
Have heard from a few people in the industry that you only get a job by who you know or what you look like. It sounded like photos were a required part of any application

You just wonder who they are paying big bucks to, to make it this much worse than previous versions.
Steadily worse every year IMO.
If they did a reset to previous version and just went with IDK, even 2018 - I'd likely double my visits.

I give it a miss for most game day things now.
A few of the draft articles are worth looking up.

At least the gambling is off the front page - it should be off entirely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back