Autopsy Dockers vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoyed JL's presser and Serong's post match interview. I'm glad to hear the club is sick of honourable losses and not making excuses with the breaks and travel. The players and coach want to win games, and there's no out for rebuilding or any of the other excuses we've thrown up in the past few years.

We could actually become a no excuses football club for real again.

Perhaps someone can reassure me here, but I am beginning to become concerned regarding the team's trajectory, as last season the club was triumphant against Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Gold Coast, yet this year we've beaten none of those teams. Our win/loss record also makes for a slightly lesser achievement, and the forward line is still bereft of all functionality. I know this year is very much an aberration, but do we have cause for concern?

No.

We’ve lost Langdon and Hill, got a new coach who’s had to implement a new gameplan interrupted by COVID and then hub life plus we’ve been smashed by injury on top of that. All the teams you’ve mentioned have had stability and have improved from last year.

We’re going well.

Last edited:
Very few of our players have the confidence to have a shot from 45 metres and beyond. Tabs, Fyfe and Hogan's kicking for goal is demoralising. Acres got plenty of it tonight but is not the run and carry player that Langdon and B Hill were. Don't hang your hat on Acres being the saviour.
I worry about our very high draft selections of Liam Henry and Sam Sturt. Early days yet but Henry's lack of speed and kicking is poor. Sturt a nice kid that does not like the rough and tumble of AFL football. I don't blame him. His resilience and toughness is a concern. Nice cricketer! I wish them well but have serious concerns. Refer to these comments in two years. I will be happy to be wrong!!!
If your biggest concern is Sturt and Henry your life must be a breeze!

I'd be happy if we had players who would kick goals from 50m, let alone 60-70m bombs. I get so frustrated with players entering 50 and then trying to make some impossible pass. Cerra did it early. Brayshaw late. Acres took a mark where he would have been kicking from 50m. Hogan can't make the distance from 50.
The side were feeding Hayden Young the ball all through preseason, maybe that was going to be his role. I expect he would have straightened up our ball movement into the corridor if he were actually playing.

Underwood is terrible. Like she is impersonating commentators she’s heard before. Calling Walters the Energiser Bunny?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
She's hardly an orphan. Russell, MacLachlan, etc etc all can be grating, derivative and asinine. Maybe it's adding a difference in the pitch of voice and slightly different expression than we're accustomed to makes it stand out above the parapet more.

No.

We’ve lost Langdon and Hill, got a new coach who’s had to implement a new gameplan interrupted by COVID and then hub life. All the teams you’ve mentioned have had stability and have improved from last year.

We’re going well.
I agree.

Consider the following:
1. COVID - favors teams who has a game style already in place
2. Second worst injury list - Number of key backs injured is insane
3. Game style is better than in the dry and the number of wet or slippery was increased. Most of the time we play on a Sunday afternoons
4. Blues and Bombers could have easier went the other way. Also, Lions and Suns games we were in it.
5. Umpires can't get worse.

Perhaps someone can reassure me here, but I am beginning to become concerned regarding the team's trajectory, as last season the club was triumphant against Greater Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Gold Coast, yet this year we've beaten none of those teams. Our win/loss record also makes for a slightly lesser achievement, and the forward line is still bereft of all functionality. I know this year is very much an aberration, but do we have cause for concern?
These are the positives and negatives IMHO, mostly generalised dribble but I want to keep believing.

- Fans seem interested again!
-On the field ( not on paper) they look like a better team
-Justin seems to have bought a fresher approach to our game plan
- Last night was a good example, we used to get knocked for playing too defensively but yet we did that and still created plenty of scoring opportunities ( just didn't nail them 🙄)
- other then the Port game we only lost most of the games by a goal or so ( and a few of those controversial) , not bad for a new team , new coach
- we seem to have reasonable depth for the first time in a while and some good young talent to work with
- club culture seems to be on the up ( from the outside looking in )
- it feels like ( and Justin said it in his post game) that the goals are coming and one day it will click
- players need to be earning their spot which is what you want
- looks like they are starting to clean out some dead wood , hopefully there's some hungry young guns out there

Negatives
- the obvious ( and recurring) problem hitting the scoreboard
- EVERYONE need to be bolder at attacking the goals and know when to peel back from defense quickly
- Sonny needs to find himself and lead again , he belongs in the forward 50 , slippery and dangerous when he is on . The rest of the team will lift on the back of that .
- someone is going to need to replace Mundys cool head and silky touch in the next year or so ( but that someone is Caleb Serong !!!!👍👍👍)
- The window is the next 2 years , will our young guys have enough games in them ? Is there a ready made AFL player from another team who is out of contract , would fit and not become a liability ( cost and time )?

Keep believing, the boys feel it ✊

Whenever this purple team of ours finally gets (its forward line working) and then holds up a cup for the first time can everyone on this forum please, please, please, please ensure you don't turn into an entitled moronic Richmond-esk supporter?

I get that their base IQ is lower than average but they honestly make Hawthorn supporters seem humble by comparison.

I agree.

Consider the following:
1. COVID - favors teams who has a game style already in place
2. Second worst injury list - Number of key backs injured is insane
3. Game style is better than in the dry and the number of wet or slippery was increased. Most of the time we play on a Sunday afternoons
4. Blues and Bombers could have easier went the other way. Also, Lions and Suns games we were in it.
5. Umpires can't get worse.
Add in that less goals means that the runner can't get out on to the filed as often which makes messaging harder. For a young team this is a problem, lucky we have Mundy/Fyfe. For a well drilled, more mature team, this isn't such a problem as they know their role.

Glad I've stopped posting during a game. Acres was terrible in the 1st, making I think 3 errors in a row on the far wing when he didn't take the 1st option. Came back well though.
Hill is a real concern for me, just hasn't offered much for weeks. I don't want to see him go on if he's going to be dropped and fade away slowly. If all of our defense is fit, I just don't see a place for him. Sorry @Eshed I know you love him ( so do I!).
Can't wait to have both Young and Mundy in the team kicking the ball, we will look so much more dangerous through the corridor with those two picking out targets.
Walters needs a good game soon or he could get replaced by Henry. As others have said, we really need that quality crumbing forward. Walters slightly slowing shouldn't be a problem as his decision making is so quick. His going to ground a lot really concerns me. It's a sign that mentally you don't think you can win the contest IMO. Remember Grover at the end of his career? Spent half the game lying on the ground. Good players keep their feet, and if they fall they get back up. walters gets up looking at the umpire, so it shows where his head space is.
OUr young mids were fantastic again.
Fyfe is just awesome, not a great game last week but straight back into it this week. There's a reason that per game he's the highest Brownlow vote getter ever.
Mundy can stay as long as he wants.
Forward line obviously has issues, but goal kicking is really hard and goal sense can't be taught. Henry and Sturt have 'it' but they're not out there. System can give you the shots, but it's up to the players to finish off.
Very happy with how we're tracking.

Glad I've stopped posting during a game. Acres was terrible in the 1st, making I think 3 errors in a row on the far wing when he didn't take the 1st option. Came back well though.
Hill is a real concern for me, just hasn't offered much for weeks. I don't want to see him go on if he's going to be dropped and fade away slowly. If all of our defense is fit, I just don't see a place for him. Sorry @Eshed I know you love him ( so do I!).
Can't wait to have both Young and Mundy in the team kicking the ball, we will look so much more dangerous through the corridor with those two picking out targets.
Walters needs a good game soon or he could get replaced by Henry. As others have said, we really need that quality crumbing forward. Walters slightly slowing shouldn't be a problem as his decision making is so quick. His going to ground a lot really concerns me. It's a sign that mentally you don't think you can win the contest IMO. Remember Grover at the end of his career? Spent half the game lying on the ground. Good players keep their feet, and if they fall they get back up. walters gets up looking at the umpire, so it shows where his head space is.
OUr young mids were fantastic again.
Fyfe is just awesome, not a great game last week but straight back into it this week. There's a reason that per game he's the highest Brownlow vote getter ever.
Mundy can stay as long as he wants.
Forward line obviously has issues, but goal kicking is really hard and goal sense can't be taught. Henry and Sturt have 'it' but they're not out there. System can give you the shots, but it's up to the players to finish off.
Very happy with how we're tracking.
Hill is a concern.

Not sure if he is cooked or is playing through an injured

29 Years old is not old but Hill is playing like its his last year.

I do think we should have manage him better, maybe miss one game. Not sure less than 6 day breaks is good for Hill.

I'd be happy if we had players who would kick goals from 50m, let alone 60-70m bombs. I get so frustrated with players entering 50 and then trying to make some impossible pass. Cerra did it early. Brayshaw late. Acres took a mark where he would have been kicking from 50m. Hogan can't make the distance from 50.

All of these guys probably can kick 50m, they just have no goal scoring confidence. We have so many guys that don't want to take the shot and will make a lower percentage pass so they don't have to wear the responsibility. They're capable, it's just a mindset thing. How many in our team have that energy of "Give me the ball, I want to kick a goal"? Tabs, Walters.. anyone else? Lobb no. Schultz no. Hogan (!) no. Cerra could, but no. Brayshaw, I've never seen someone so afraid of having a shot for goal. Crowden and Frederick, maybe?

Think about Hawthorn in their prime. Any time they had a player within range, their eyes lit up. They were all hungry for goals. Breust, Puopolo, Gunston, Roughead, all their mids too. Some of those guys aren't any better than our players, but they were coached to have a crack whenever they were in range. If you can do it at training, you can do it on match day. And I'd bet they did it at training, a lot.
I reckon it should be a focus for us over the offseason, not just for the forwards but for the mids too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever this purple team of ours finally gets (its forward line working) and then holds up a cup for the first time can everyone on this forum please, please, please, please ensure you don't turn into an entitled moronic Richmond-esk supporter?

I get that their base IQ is lower than average but they honestly make Hawthorn supporters seem humble by comparison.
And please stick to drinking beer as opposed to those chardonnay drinkers down the road.

All of these guys probably can kick 50m, they just have no goal scoring confidence. We have so many guys that don't want to take the shot and will make a lower percentage pass so they don't have to wear the responsibility. They're capable, it's just a mindset thing. How many in our team have that energy of "Give me the ball, I want to kick a goal"? Tabs, Walters.. anyone else? Lobb no. Schultz no. Hogan (!) no. Cerra could, but no. Brayshaw, I've never seen someone so afraid of having a shot for goal. Crowden and Frederick, maybe?

Think about Hawthorn in their prime. Any time they had a player within range, their eyes lit up. They were all hungry for goals. Breust, Puopolo, Gunston, Roughead, all their mids too. Some of those guys aren't any better than our players, but they were coached to have a crack whenever they were in range. If you can do it at training, you can do it on match day. And I'd bet they did it at training, a lot.
I reckon it should be a focus for us over the offseason, not just for the forwards but for the mids too.

It's why i was so please with Mitch yesterday.

Kicked two goals, never looked like missing or giving them off

It's got me ****ed that more players don't want to kick goals.

Taking a mark in the forward line and walking back, knowing you're going to have a shot on goal is right up there with morning sex and a top notch cab sav as one of the best things in life.

Spot on. Players should want to kick goals.

Frederick is a good example ... he seemed so hesitant to kick for goal against Sydney from 50. Kicked the bloody thing over the fence, would have gone 60m. I think I saw a practice match clip where he snapped a snag from outside 50 off a couple of steps. He can kick.

I have no doubt that most missed shots on goal (under no pressure) are primarily because of what is going on upstairs. Sometimes fatigue, but mostly just confidence and routine. We say some players are bad kicks, but that is mostly for passing. These are AFL players and kicking the ball straight is actually a piece of piss for them if they are down the park with nobody around.

We've seen Taberner grow confidence in recent weeks, then he hits the post from a sitter and loses it. Next kick shanks it out on the full by 20 metres. I could tell that was going to happen with his body language before kicking it.

Spot on. Players should want to kick goals.

Frederick is a good example ... he seemed so hesitant to kick for goal against Sydney from 50. Kicked the bloody thing over the fence, would have gone 60m. I think I saw a practice match clip where he snapped a snag from outside 50 off a couple of steps. He can kick.

I have no doubt that most missed shots on goal (under no pressure) are primarily because of what is going on upstairs. Sometimes fatigue, but mostly just confidence and routine. We say some players are bad kicks, but that is mostly for passing. These are AFL players and kicking the ball straight is actually a piece of piss for them if they are down the park with nobody around.

We've seen Taberner grow confidence in recent weeks, then he hits the post from a sitter and loses it. Next kick shanks it out on the full by 20 metres. I could tell that was going to happen with his body language before kicking it.
[/QUOTE

You can read him like a book. He looks like he is going to die of fright 😨

Brayshaw, I've never seen someone so afraid of having a shot for goal.
I tell you what though, when (not if) Brayshaw gets that confidence he is going to kick some serious numbers of goals for a midfielder. His gut run is incredible which is why he has opportunities time after time and we notice it so much. It seems a weakness now but looks a real weapon at some point in the future.

edit - actually this applies to Freddy also. It is micro seconds between rushing and not executing or being composed and hitting targets. This kid, like Brayshaw, can rack up opportunities to impact games. I'll throw Henry in this bunch as well once he gets his defensive work rate sorted.

Hill is a concern.

Not sure if he is cooked or is playing through an injured

29 Years old is not old but Hill is playing like its his last year.

I do think we should have manage him better, maybe miss one game. Not sure less than 6 day breaks is good for Hill.
I’m unconvinced Hill and Shahid Afridi weren’t born at the same hospital. Hill’s birth certificate might say 29, but he genuinely looks 35 in the face

We will never win a flag. The AFL will never sign off on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back