Rolling All Australian Team 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a huge misconception that the Lyon Saints were this low scoring, 6 goals to 5, horrible slog team. Yes, we had those games (mostly in 2010 when Riewoldt missed most of the season) but in 2009 we had multiple 5-10 goal smashings and plenty of scores over the 90 point mark.

Even in the 2009 GF we had 23 scoring shots.

Richmond won flags with 29 and 28
West Coast had 24
Bulldogs had 24
Hawthorn had 27, 32 & 22

Our issue was kicking 9.14 instead of 14.9
In the 2009 prelim you had 15 scoring shots to the Bulldogs 18. We were let down by inaccuracy in front of goal.

Riewoldt was gifted a goal when he flopped at the start of the 3rd quarter and his fourth goal was disputed but no goal line replays back then.

It was dour negative football. It got you into finals but in a shoot out, you lost. witness the 2010 replay. In the 2009 Grand final you had 19 scoring shots not 23. Four were rushed behinds, that's the opposition conceding, not you scoring. Geelong kicked 8 behinds to your 10, that's 10 points difference if they had kicked 10 behinds. You lost by 12 points.

You had a good side, not a great one. with Nick Riewoldt at the Bulldogs we would have snagged a flag or two.

2010, Collingwood had more scoring shots 9-14 to 10-8 but you rushed 7 behinds to give them the draw. Negative play, just like Hawthorn changed the rule after 2008.

In the 2010 replay, you were 1-8 at half time to Collingwood 4-9. The rest we know....

No misconception, Lyon's style was awful.

A very quick crack at the 40 man squad. No doubt I’ve missed lots of players, most likely players from your team.

Certainly not wedded to this, happy to take feedback on players who need to go in our come out.

If you want to suggest some ins please also suggest some outs.

KPDs: Weitering, Andrews, Moore, Collins, Moore

Medium defs: Haynes, L. Ryan, Sheppard, Ridley, Vlaustin

S defs: Daniel, Maynard, Crisp, Saad

Inside or balanced mids: Neale, Petracca, Boak, Steele, Adams, Guthrie, Macrae, Merrett

Wings: Menegola, Whitfield, McLuggage, Duncan

Mid/forwards: Bont, Martin, Danger, Gray, Fyfe

KPFs: Hawkins, Dixon

Medium fwds: Wallis, Gunston

Small fwds: Ryan, Cameron, Papley, Butler
Rucks: Naitanui

A very quick crack at the 40 man squad. No doubt I’ve missed lots of players, most likely players from your team. Certainly not wedded to this, happy to take feedback on players who need to go in our come out.

Inside or balanced mids: Neale, Petracca, Boak, Steele, Adams, Guthrie, Macrae, Merrett

Have to find a spot for Kelly from the Eagles. I think I'd replace Gray with Kelly.

Vlastuin is stiff not to make the first side. Leading our B&F in a canter.
But you disagree with nearly every Richmond post anyway.
Third best intercept mark and total intercept player in the league. Possibly the toughest of all those other half backs. The best kick of those he is up against. Super reliable, rarely makes a mistake, Footywire stats has him at 0 clangers for the year, Haynes & Ridley 7, Maynard 11, Saad has 31.

There is nobody else close at Richmond besides Martin.

Last edited:
Ok, So from the premise of this thread, it seems as though Richmond won't have nor deserve any players in the squad this year.

I suppose not even having 1 game with home ground advantage all year contributes to that, as well as our poor culture, constant diving/flopping, cheating and general lack of skills. The teams full of role players only playing ugly team football with out any individual class.

Ok. We'll just have to prey for more good luck and fortune as per the last few years. Great chat.

P.S. Lock him in Eddie, looking forward to Grimesy being a lock

Martin will be there. Jayden Short an outside chance.

Pick three VERY IMPORTANT games that separates the best from the rest.

If you indeed want to delve deeper.

Scores Vs. RICHMOND

100 over - 0
100 points - 0
90-99 points - 2 (Saints/Power)
80-89 points - Once (Carlton)
70-79 points - Once (Hawthorn)
60-69 points - 3 (GWS, West Coast, Essendon)
50-59 points - Once (Melbourne)

Below 50 points
Collingwood - 36 points
Sydney - 26 points
North Melbourne - 23 points
Western Bulldogs - 49 points
Brisbane Lions - 41 points
Gold Coast - 32 points
Fremantle - 29 points
Geelong - 31 points.

So Richmond have kept eight teams to a score f LESS THAN 50 - which includes TWO teams currently in the top four, and Richmond can't beat themselves like you blokes enjoy doing, so there's your stat.

Never scored against over 100 points and kept half their opponents to less than 50 points this season. The key here is the QUALITY of opposition they've kept to low scores. Not just the fact they've merely done it, also the stats aren't diluted with early season pretender form.
Port have kept 10 teams to less then 50 points, and not one team has kicked over 100 on us either.

Jonas, DBJ, Hartlett >>>> you mob

Going to preface this by saying I think there's a perfectly good argument to not pick Stewart because of the amount of games he's missed this season. But it's interesting that he's statistically been better this season than he was in his previous two AA seasons (when accounting for reduced quarters) and will play the same amount of games as Andrews yet nobody seems to consider him while almost everybody in this thread is still locking Andrews in. But that being said, and I don't think this is fair either, the reality is that the AA incumbents are regularly favoured by selectors and given that I won't be surprised at all if both Stewart and Andrews are picked in the team.

In the 2009 prelim you had 15 scoring shots to the Bulldogs 18. We were let down by inaccuracy in front of goal.

Riewoldt was gifted a goal when he flopped at the start of the 3rd quarter and his fourth goal was disputed but no goal line replays back then.

It was dour negative football. It got you into finals but in a shoot out, you lost. witness the 2010 replay. In the 2009 Grand final you had 19 scoring shots not 23. Four were rushed behinds, that's the opposition conceding, not you scoring. Geelong kicked 8 behinds to your 10, that's 10 points difference if they had kicked 10 behinds. You lost by 12 points.

You had a good side, not a great one. with Nick Riewoldt at the Bulldogs we would have snagged a flag or two.

2010, Collingwood had more scoring shots 9-14 to 10-8 but you rushed 7 behinds to give them the draw. Negative play, just like Hawthorn changed the rule after 2008.

In the 2010 replay, you were 1-8 at half time to Collingwood 4-9. The rest we know....

No misconception, Lyon's style was awful.

Where did you get the stats on rushed behinds? Not disputing it, just genuinely keen to find another resource.

If Roo played for the Dogs you may well have won a flag or two. Same as if we had Jason Akermanis or Brad Johnson.

Agree that in 2010 we got smashed but that scoreline is incorrect. Pies kicked 6.5 to half time. Not sure where you got 4.9 from.

Anywho, we are way off topic.

Haynes Andrews Maynard
Whitfield May Daniel
Macrae Steele Gaff
Butters Hawkins Gray
Ryan Dixon Bont
Naitanui Petracca Neale
Gawn Oliver Boak Ridley

Any reason you have allocated, Melbourne equal most all Australians? Am I missing something or is this the same Melbourne that have lost to Geelong, Eagles, Tigers, Brisbane and Power?

Their only victory against a fellow top eight teams was against St. Kilda by 3 points and a depleted Collingwood outfit that was bullied?

So essentially what you are saying is, the demons, the team full of players that cannot beat the good teams should be recognised as the team with the best players this year?

Im just confused Big Footy, very, very confused.

Player distribution
1. Port Adelaide
Butters, Gray, Dixon, Boak (4)

2. Brisbane Lions
Andrews, Neale (2)

3. Richmond
- (0)

4. Geelong
Hawkins (1)

5. West Coast
Gaff, Ryan, Natanui (3)

6. St. Kilda
Steele (1)

7. Bulldogs
Daniel, McCrae, Bont (3)

8. Melbourne
May, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver (4)

A very quick crack at the 40 man squad. No doubt I’ve missed lots of players, most likely players from your team.

Certainly not wedded to this, happy to take feedback on players who need to go in our come out.

If you want to suggest some ins please also suggest some outs.

He is 190cm.

Port have kept 10 teams to less then 50 points, and not one team has kicked over 100 on us either.

Jonas, DBJ, Hartlett >>>> you mob

Why can't we recognise Port too? I have no issue recognising Port Adelaide with the most AA jsckets this year, they have best the best team this Home and Away season and the only team in the top 8 who have beaten Richmond this year.

Very underrated and harshly judged after one poor performance this year. Dunno why you are measuring dicks though, I agree with you .

What im trying to say is, majority of people here don't even have one richmond player in their AA and just letting them know the seldctors will pick two minimum, maybe three.

Vlastuin, Martin and Grimes will get in. Or two of the three at minimum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why can't we recognise Port too? I have no issue recognising Port Adelaide with the most AA jsckets this year, they have best the best team this Home and Away season and the only team in the top 8 who have beaten Richmond this year.

Very underrated and harshly judged after one poor performance this year. Dunno why you are measuring dicks though, I agree with you .

What im trying to say is, majority of people here don't even have one richmond player in their AA and just letting them know the seldctors will pick two minimum, maybe three.

Vlastuin, Martin and Grimes will get in. Or two of the three at minimum.
Doubt any of them will get in to be honest with you, again Jonas DBJ and Hartlett are more deserving and they will likely not make it either

Any reason you have allocated, Melbourne equal most all Australians? Am I missing something or is this the same Melbourne that have lost to Geelong, Eagles, Tigers, Brisbane and Power?

Their only victory against a fellow top eight teams was against St. Kilda by 3 points and a depleted Collingwood outfit that was bullied?

So essentially what you are saying is, the demons, the team full of players that cannot beat the good teams should be recognised as the team with the best players this year?

Player distribution
1. Port Adelaide

2. Brisbane Lions
Andrews, Neale (2)

3. Richmond
- (0)

4. Geelong
Hawkins (1)

5. West Coast
Gaff, Ryan, Natanui (3)

6. St. Kilda
Steele (1)

7. Bulldogs
Daniel, McCrae, Bont (3)

8. Melbourne

picking best individual players. Gawn and tracc are top 5 in CD and Oliver 10th. May has been the best kpd in the second half of the year, And overall I think a top 2 kpd

Player distribution
1. Port Adelaide

2. Brisbane Lions
Andrews, Neale (2)

3. Richmond
- (0)

4. Geelong
Hawkins (1)

5. West Coast
Gaff, Ryan, Natanui (3)

6. St. Kilda
Steele (1)

7. Bulldogs
Daniel, McCrae, Bont (3)

8. Melbourne
It's almost as if it's an individual award and not a team one.

It's almost as if it's an individual award and not a team one.

Every year it's the same. "Why does my team in the top 4 get less representatives than a bottom 8 side?" blah blah.

I'd actually consider it a credit to my side if they were top of the ladder or thereabouts with no AA representatives. A star team will always beat a team of stars as the saying goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back