Toast Round 17: Collingwood 68-46 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that a backline containing all of Crisp, Moore, Maynard, Quaynor and Howe has the possibility of being the best backline the Pies have ever fielded. Quaynor is shaping up INSANELY well, and the other four are all AA quality already - and Moore/Maynard are still getting better.

It’s an embarrassment of riches down there.

Noble, Madgen, Langdon and Roughy all go alright, too.
Sorry not the best by a loooong chalk - the '27 - '30 side has and basically this backline any backline to have played the game well and truly covered.
That 4pete side weren't called 'the machine' without good reason - and a huge part of that was the backline.

Sorry not the best by a loooong chalk - the '27 - '30 side has and basically this backline any backline to have played the game well and truly covered.
That 4pete side weren't called 'the machine' without good reason - and a huge part of that was the backline.
I love a bit of trivia jonmac.
You teased us.
Who where the main players in that backline. I'm sure I won't know some of them but there is bound to be some famous names there.

that 27-30 side was something else. I know it’s comparing oranges and apples, with the modern game being what it is, but I’m not sure any team can measure up to them.

How good was Daicos in the second qtr I think.
Hemmed up against the boundary line, 2 GC players have him locked in and he does a bit of a zig and a bit of a zag and then cuts straight through them.
The Mason goal and that little move by Daicos were the two highlights for me.

And JDG is a freak.

I remember how people used to smash Daicos for being too small and slow and no good but rave about C Brown.... ah, times have sure changed.

Yeah, they are nowhere near the team we smacked last year. Have had a pretty good year overall.

The win was needed, but they did challenge us. They have some kind of pressure. Composure and inexperience mistakes is what cost them, which will get easier in time. They give me Brisbane 2018 vibes.

De Goey was brilliant.
Diacos.
Cox had his best game since the 2018 prelim
Crisp was fanastic.
Noble was good.

Not sure why anyone thought Quaynor on Sexton was a good idea lol

Good win. Lets get port!

yeahk I guess they had faith in quaynor, which is fine. He‘ll be a star eventually. Learning night forhim.

I love a bit of trivia jonmac.
You teased us.
Who where the main players in that backline. I'm sure I won't know some of them but there is bound to be some famous names there.
Rumney Dibbs Lauder
Collier Clayden Makeham

Leeter (Albert to his mother) was the lynch pin - this is the man that Jack Dyer described as a god.
Immensely powerful and ferocious in the contest with all the skill you could wish for in a backman of that era.

Rumney Dibbs Lauder
Collier Clayden Makeham

Leeter (Albert to his mother) was the lynch pin - this is the man that Jack Dyer described as a god.
Immensely powerful and ferocious in the contest with all the skill you could wish for in a backman of that era.
When I was a kid in primary school I had a fling with this girl, I'm talking child fling here. You know the type. "will you go with me" "yes" "wow I am going with someone" type fling.
Kids.
I can't remember her first name. But her surname was Whelan. She told me her uncle played for Collingwood and was a Brownlow medalist.
I didn't believe her at first and went and did my research.
Lo and behold her Uncle Marcus Whelan was a Collingwood Brownlow medilist.
Many many years have passed since those primary school days.
It may have just been a childhood fling but to this day I adamantly claim that I have a blood tie to a Collingwood Brownlow medilist.

How was that in any way disgraceful?

Sick to death of your whining anytime someone criticizes players here. You take it so goddamn personally.
Yep, I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be no hub for Sidey. He has to do a hard 14 day lockdown on his own in some drab Anastacia-approved hotel room. He wouldn’t be able to leave the room. If we assume our first final is on Sunday 4 Oct, he would need to fly up by no later than say Thursday to get one group training run in.

That’s a massive ask in this current crazy world. I couldn’t see most new dads (with a choice) leaving their partners with a newborn without some confidence that mum was coping at home. That would surely only come without seeing mum coping at home. And if anyone just writes that off, if they are parents, just hark back to the drive home and the first few days. No matter how competent a parent might end up being, the first few days are a step into the unknown.

Even if she had good support with say her mum offering to move in full time, it is still very unlikely to me. If we made the GF could be gone for 5+ weeks.
Geez a lot of common sense from you. Reluctantly I agree with all you say. Almost. I suspect they could self isolate as a group of 3 for the 14 days. As you say 1st child 1st weeks is daunting and it’s a big ask of her so would only work if she was confident about it.

Sidebottom has to do what is neccessary to play the first final

Whether thats quarantining in Queensland with or without wife and child, it simply has to happen. We need him.

If all he can do is squats and pushups... so be it.

He let the club down early in the year which nearly cost us a spot in the finals and quite frankly he owes it to the club to redeem himself.

Sidebottom has to do what is neccessary to play the first final

Whether thats quarantining in Queensland with or without wife and child, it simply has to happen. We need him.

If all he can do is squats and pushups... so be it.

He let the club down early in the year which nearly cost us a spot in the finals and quite frankly he owes it to the club to redeem himself.
Over to you jamc70, what are you going to call him??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back