Toast Round 17: Collingwood 68-46 Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing what a fit and firing De Goey/Cox combo does to our forward line.

I still firmly believe on our day that we can beat any mob in the comp.

Time will tell if we're up to it this season, not a bad time to have a crack at the Prison Bars Footy club on Monday.

With De Goey back and Cox finding form I reeeeeeally hope Buckley understands how important Stephenson becomes. He complements the others and can work freer as the 3rd/4th forward.

Sneak Sidebottom back in for finals, throw Elliott forward and suddenly that forward looks legitimately dangerous again.

Yeah I reckon he might be across it

The Gold campaigners were always going to be up for our game. It was their way of finishing off the season on a high. The cheerleaders in the commentatory box were laughable.

If Bruzzy didn't gift them 2 goals from kicking in then we win by 6 goals plus.

I just want to see us keep pulling the trigger when going forward. Surely you'd rather turn it over in your forward half then kick it backwards 3 times and end up in your back pocket?

Quaynor let Sexton run goal side. As a defender thats the one thing you can't let happen.
He did that 3 times early, played himself back into it.

IQ is a very attacking defender. His ability to intercept is high class. The next step for him is to blanket his opponent. If he can get to that level, he will become an A grader with a bullet next season. I reckon he could become a damaging wingman as well with his acceleration and ball use.

The Gold campaigners were always going to be up for our game. It was their way of finishing off the season on a high. The cheerleaders in the commentatory box were laughable.

If Bruzzy didn't gift them 2 goals from kicking in then we win by 6 goals plus.

I just want to see us keep pulling the trigger when going forward. Surely you'd rather turn it over in your forward half then kick it backwards 3 times and end up in your back pocket?

It’s about the third week running where some Clangers or strokes of luck have ended up in flattering the opponents score.

I bet the AFL have rules against Airbnb or else I'm sure he'd be able to find something quite nice...

It’s not the AFL, it’s the QLD government. Think it has to be an approved quarantine hotel. Something like a Novotel in Brisbane. Although I do note Simonds (the big boat guy) did his quarantine at the QT on the Gold Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not the AFL, it’s the QLD government. Think it has to be an approved quarantine hotel. Something like a Novotel in Brisbane. Although I do note Simonds (the big boat guy) did his quarantine at the QT on the Gold Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d happily quarantine at QT, stayed there for a wedding was great 🤣

Frustrating but eventually a good win. Much better balance but concerning is Grundy's decline. Not sure what is going on or if he is injured but the guy is continually being beaten, is 2nd to the contest and spends 50% game time on the ground and I mean on the ground. Cox did a better job tonight in the Ruck.

Grundy has to be carrying an injury. Was it the Richmond game Round 2 that he copped a huge hit? He hasn't looked the same since then. Isn't covering the ground anywhere near like he used to. All will be revealed post season I have no doubt. He's also a victim of setting an elite standard for the past few years.

Sidebottom has to do what is neccessary to play the first final

Whether thats quarantining in Queensland with or without wife and child, it simply has to happen. We need him.

If all he can do is squats and pushups... so be it.

He let the club down early in the year which nearly cost us a spot in the finals and quite frankly he owes it to the club to redeem himself.

Uh oh, you dared to make sense. Get ready for the hysteria:

Grundy has to be carrying an injury. Was it the Richmond game Round 2 that he copped a huge hit? He hasn't looked the same since then. Isn't covering the ground anywhere near like he used to. All will be revealed post season I have no doubt. He's also a victim of setting an elite standard for the past few years.

100% agree. He looks as if he’s lost his ability to power off from stoppages. There was bit of play, might have been in the 3rd, where he was in some congestion and trying to attack the ball and it was clear he didn’t have the power in the legs the drive through the traffic. Seems to have lost power In his legs.

Good victory in the end. That was a huge danger game, against an opponent that had nothing to lose. Especially coming off a bye where most teams always start a bit sluggish...I was worried if GC got off to a good start that their momentum was going to be hard to stop.

So we did what we had to do, locked in finals, and walked away unscathed from an injury perspective.

The dewy conditions are going to be a huge factor this finals series. So getting experience on the GABBA in these conditions could be a competitive advantage for us.

I don't think we expected the physicality of the Suns. On a few occassions, our mids ran forward of the ball expecting that their team-mate would be able to break a tackle or get the ball into space. But the Suns hunted in numbers and did well from clearances etc. So we'll need to sharpen up.

We also need to put a stop to these blatant turnover goals. I reckon Maynard's leg was feeling a bit heavy last night. He is prone to the odd turnover, but it looked like his leg just died on him with those kicks. Those who have had shocking corkies know how heavy the leg can feel, and even though he had a long break, he was probably still feeling some effects. Still, he has to be smarter. For starters, you should always take a few steps before kicking the ball. Kicking off one step is the worst mistake you can make from a kick in where you have no pressure.

Overall, I'm really proud of the club that we fought through a difficult season to still make finals for the 3rd year straight. There were a number of times this year where I had written us off...but we scraped in some tricky victories when we had to, and put some shockers behind us quickly. We have been far from our best, yet have still done what is needed.

I can't see us being a huge force in the finals unless a switch magically clicks. Sometimes that can happen. The Doggies looked shot in 2017, but managed to get key players back over the bye week and then just got on a roll. We are in a somewhat similar position with some real guns still to come back in. But based on our form over the last month, we'll be honest but lucky to win a final. Still, you gotta be in it to win it, and we have at least put ourselves in the hunt. I'm sure there will be a few teams in the top 8 dissapointed to see us scrape in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back