Autopsy Late fight back not enough as dogs Bow out of finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that its all over for us, I must say that I am extremely grateful for the football this year and for the sacrifice by the players who've spent the better part of 4 months away from home (not to say others aren't doing it far tougher). We've been up and down, frustrating and exciting, dreadful and world beaters, but it's honestly felt to me like a godsend just to have something to cheer on. We were never realistically winning the flag, but in a difficult year it was nice that we didn't give up on the season after a shocking start and fought it out until October. I really think the players and the club (and the rest of the league) deserve a huge amount of kudos for that.
Yes, I agree, well said.

Roarke was good but if he’s in your best 22 your not going to be a top 6 team.

Gardner was poor, he competed but woeful by foot and terrible decision maker again if he’s your second kpd your not going to be a top 6 team.

They are depth players

Gardner should not even be a depth player.

Again, he improved a bit in the second half of the year, and well done to him for that.

But you need more from a defender than being barely adequate, which is all Gardner is really.

Also went on about how well our mids do for scores from centre clearances sitting second in the league. Centre clearances aren’t the issue the around the ground stoppages are.

Yeah this doesn't get mentioned enough we are ranked 2nd for scores from Centre Bounces. It's our stoppages that we struggle with.

Yeah this doesn't get mentioned enough we are ranked 3rd for scores from Centre Bounces. It's our stoppages that we struggle with.

Which is where English gets pushed or held off too easily due to lack of strength and aggression. Also our mids generally get in close to the ruck contest and the opposition ruck gets the ball out from the contest and we are left scrambling to get any pressure on them

Gardner should not even be a depth player.

Again, he improved a bit in the second half of the year, and well done to him for that.

But you need more from a defender than being barely adequate, which is all Gardner is really.

Based on the press conference he will be on the list and almost sounded like beveridge rates him above cordy

I know a few St Kilda supporters in real life and I’d be absolutely delighted for them if the Saints ever won their second flag.

But seeing St Kilda’s pissant supporters on the main board trolling their asses off makes me hope they never win another game again and end up in triple figures for their wooden spoon count.

I know a few St Kilda supporters in real life and I’d be absolutely delighted for them if the Saints ever won their second flag.

But seeing St Kilda’s pissant supporters on the main board trolling their asses off makes me hope they never win another game again and end up in triple figures for their wooden spoon count.

Not like you, Leon! :D

The last two ruck contests we had the momentum, Bev needs to recognise that in that situation if the hit out goes to saints advantage we are done for. That's the time Bev needs to put Bruce in the ruck to halve the contest and give us a chance. This is unforgivable and cost about about 20-30secs to get the ball back on our terms. Valuable time with 4mins to go.

Naughton has never played a good game coming back from injury. Probably no other option though. Similar with Wallis.

Duryea did a great job on Butler, he won his position. B.Smith played 4 qtrs and was excellent as an outside mid. Williams and Daniel were very good as they have been all year.

Playing Crozier our most reliable defender for the last two years forward is the worst coaching decision since Wood going forward. Why the F would you do this in the last game and in a FINAL. Destroys the defensive chemistry and just breaks any system all over the ground.

At half time it looked like Daniel moved into the midfield group and JJ into the backline. Why not put Crozier back instead, JJ started well and had virtually no impact after that.

Because we play our half forwards up at stoppages and they are too slow to transition back into the forward line, Bruce has to contest with multiple defenders. He has no chance and actually does alright not to be outmarked. Its not up to him once the ball hits the ground. Inside 50's are meaningless to our team.

Lapinski shouldnt be playing unless one of Bont, Macrae, Dunks or Hunter are injured. he is a nice back up for them but they cant all play in the same team.

Gardner and R.Smith were ok, but we need more than an OK game from them especially in a final. While other teams have game winners in their positions we pray for a solid game. We dont progress accepting that. Le.Young could have been developed over the last two years but thats been wasted. Surely a cooked Dickson playing his last game would have been better that R.Smith.

Richards hasn't done enough all year and same tonight, i'm fine with him being in the side and developing but not with others who need to be carried also.

We are pretty soft if a scrawny kid like Ben Long is confident enough to snipe out best mid and know he will get away with it. He didnt just come off the square once, commentators called it a few times. Coaches should recognise that in their planning as he has done it most of the year, not hard to instruct a half forward to counter that.

Don't think Dunks has been 100% all year, woudnt be suprised if we hear he goes in for surgery.

Last edited:
Playing Crozier our most reliable defender for the last two years forward is the worst coaching decision since Wood going forward. Why the F would you do this in the last game and in a FINAL. Destroys the defensive chemistry and just breaks any system all over the ground.

I couldn't agree more and was shocked when I saw that matchup in Q1, surprised I haven't seen more comments regarding this. Why are we changing a proven system in a final?

How low are people's expectations for Ryan Gardner and Roarke Smith if their performances tonight were considered adequate?

Roarke has been in the AFL system for 6 years and Ryan 5 years. How much longer should they get? When are they expected to deliver? What level are they actually capable of reaching? How many players show dramatic improvement after the age of 24?

Tonight they both had multiple chances to prove they belong on the biggest stage. Unfortunately they failed to grasp them again, particularly when they had the chance to take the initiative and do something positive/attacking for the team.

Neither of them has put together a strong record of prior performances at AFL or even VFL level to suggest they are capable of a lot more than they displayed tonight.

The AFL is a cut throat business where great footballers are shown the door at the end of every season. Many get little or no opportunity to display their wares in a senior match let alone a final.

I think they have both been pretty lucky to last this long, and it is time to give others more opportunities going forward.

Bevo said in his presser 'there's been significant growth in our year'.

Who's high - me or him? Where is this 'growth'. It's nice to throw words around but seriously.

Maybe if you compare the year to the first 2 games - sure.

But compared to last year we've basically stayed still which in a competitive field is the same as going backwards. Indicated by St Kilda going past up this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that English is often rag-dolled in the ruck contests, particularly at boundary throw-ins, but not getting to the position to contest the throw in as he has done on numerous occasions this season, is simply not good enough. Saints kicked an easy goal at a crucial time tonight because English couldn't/wouldn't get to the contest. Frustrating in the extreme.

Shattered about the result but how good is Libba?

Not sure if you noticed it, but he was screaming to have a set shot when Wallis took his last shot. And then his goal after that, delightful

Last year we got smashed in the final this year lost narrowly so that’s something

Who's high - me or him? Where is this 'growth'. It's nice to throw words around but seriously.

But compared to last year we've basically stayed still which in a competitive field is the same as going backwards. Indicated by St Kilda going past up this year.

Hear hear! Absolutely baffling decision.

My son was there tonight.

He texted me with, "we didn't deserve to win it, but we should have pinched it in the end".

Sums us up this year.

Yep. Fell into the eight really. Keep winning while teams around us fell flat on their faces with horrendous losses.

Tonight we went missing for two and a half quarters and only hit form in the last so would’ve papered over the cracks before a pummelling by the Tigers next week, so I’m actually glad we’re done.

Don’t think I’ve got over a finals loss so quick. It’s been a dull, uninteresting season for the league. Our games have barely held me let alone others. Will be interesting to see what happen next year and how long it takes for people to get behind it again.

Last edited:
MattDougie is someone who has invested a lot of time and significant amounts of money in our footy club. Whatever you think of his views.
Opposition fans can GTFO out of our review threads after a loss
MattDougie could've invested 7 figures into the footy club, we'd still be better off not having him.

This week was the first time I'd even thought about St Kilda since 2010 and I remembered I hate the campaigners. Rapist worshippers. Hope they never see their side win a flag, even the good ones. * 'em.

I don't see much growth as a team from last year either. If any. We added Keath, Bruce and Libba to a team that was apparently on the rise. Yet couldn't beat a team in the top eight, aside from a very injured Eagles.

Need more change than just adding JUH and growth from VDM and Weightmanto be a serious contender.

Hope the club shakes things up this offseason... Some new blood in the coaching box, put some players on the trade table like Port did, question a game plan that dominates inside 50s but isn't effective. Time for some change to take the next step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back