Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

People underestimate your 2011 flag. Collingwood went 20 & 2, Geelong 19 & 3, Hawthorn 18 & 4, and WC 17 & 5. That's an unbelievable top 4. To come out on top of that was special.
I have often said that year was the absolute peak of the competition....You had Geelong reaching the end of our dynasty, the Hawks about to start their dynasty & the Pies going for back to back....You don’t get that level at the top very often at all.

I have often said that year was the absolute peak of the competition....You had Geelong reaching the end of our dynasty, the Hawks about to start their dynasty & the Pies going for back to back....You don’t get that level at the top very often at all.
And then us in 4th having a dead cat bounce year with our older mid 2000s premiership winning players having their best seasons in several years, and a handful of first and second year players having breakout seasons (Shuey, Gaff, Darling, etc). We finished with seventeen wins that year before finals, we won more games than we did in grand final years 2015 and 2018.

People underestimate your 2011 flag. Collingwood went 20 & 2, Geelong 19 & 3
Not to mention that five years atop the tree is a really long time.

Cast your mind back to 2015, five years ago now - Hawthorn and West Coast squared off, the other top five sides were Freo and Sydney. Five years is a VERY long time in footy.

And then us in 4th having a dead cat bounce year with our older mid 2000s premiership winning players having their best seasons in several years, and a handful of first and second year players having breakout seasons (Shuey, Gaff, Darling, etc). We finished with seventeen wins that year before finals, we won more games than we did in grand final years 2015 and 2018.
Absolutely, it was remiss of me not to mention you guys also, especially the fact you took it right up to the Pies in the QF with that young group... It was a peak into the future & what you would become. 👍

Absolutely, it was remiss of me not to mention you guys also, especially the fact you took it right up to the Pies in the QF with that young group... It was a peak into the future & what you would become. 👍
In all honesty only the top three that year were a chance to win the flag, we made the most of a wooden spoon fixture for sure though. That year was fun, definitely one of my favourite as an Eagles supporter, at no point were we realistically challenging for the flag, just to finish as high as we can, and to win at least one final considering how bad we did the year before.

This current Richmond team is a great team, & as you mention they have some great players.....But the competition for the Premiership was much harder in our era, in two of our three flag years we had to defeat teams who went 20-2 during the season, this current Richmond team would be doing well to defeat them teams tbh, especially the Pies team of 2011, who were a juggernaut that year, unbeatable to everyone else bar Geelong.
I agree that this year the quality of the top four is wanting.

But that's just the way that it is with Geelong in there...

I agree that this year the quality of the top four is wanting.

But that's just the way that it is with Geelong in there...
If you go through the thread you will have noticed I have already touched on my teams current strength difference between now & then.....Nobody is denigrating your flags, as you can only beat what’s in front of you, but the fact remains we had stiffer competition to overcome than Richmond...Even you must concede that a 20-2 Saints of ‘09 was a better team than a 13-9 Giants team of ‘19?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Geelong's team back then was more dominant and in hindsight they probably did slightly underachieve, but people saying the competition was stronger back then are wrong. Maybe the top 4 was slightly better but the rest of the league was nowhere near as competitive as it is right now. Probably better poll to ask after the dust has settled as people generally don't like giving credit to teams or players that are still playing and have a bias/nostalgia towards history.

Richmond could win the next 2 but still wouldnt beat those Geelong teams head to head, however, 4 flags from 5 years would surpass their silverware haul.
Never in all my time watching footy has a team left me not wanting to watch as i already knew the result like those Geelong teams, Richmond dont have that aura about them.
I tend to agree. The Geelong of those years was scary. You could be flying but everything had to go your way to beat them. Richmond is a very very good team but that fear factor isn’t quite there in the way Geelong and the 80’s Hawks had.
One of the things all three have in common is that you can go in at 3/4 time close and lose by 6 goals and be left scratching your head as you know you played really well... they just had the extra gear when it mattered... every freaking time

We've done a great job as a club to win two flags and there might be a third within the next couple of years but I don't think we belong in the same category as that Geelong side. They routinely flogged other sides whilst in second gear and had about 10 generational players playing at once, we have had about 4. Looking at their 22 in 2007 it's incredible and yes they probably underachieved.

This doesn't make what we've done less impressive, we've had a good system and to be fair we've won all our finals in 2017 and 2019 with an average winning margin of about 8 goals. But no way would guys like Castagna, B.Ellis, Townsend, Broad be getting a game for Geelong.

Cats pretty comfortably I would think.

I think this Richmond side could win 5 flags, but that would say more about the comp. overall than Richmond in particular.

That’s looking back with rose colored glasses, go through the various teams of the 2000’s there are a lot of average teams playing, there are always 3-4 teams that sit at the top for a few years.

Just being in the same conversation as Geelong and even hawks of the last 20 years, is a compliment. Geelongs teams between 07 and 11 are the best for me. There is always going to be a better team from a better era, but that takes nothing away from what richmond has become, after being lost for so long. I also think people forget how hard premierships are to win. Regardless of how strong they think the competition is.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If, as the OP suggests, Richmond wins this year, I'll be more than happy to be the worst side to have won 3 flags in 4 years (with the distinct possibility of more to come).

I'll also greatly enjoy the melts from the 'neutral' supporters on BF.

Geelong 07 team is daylight ahead

In straight position swaps only Martin and Riewoldt get in the 07 team from the initial Tigers team

Back