News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again another poster who has overlooked Ronin O'Connor. Just because he is a first year player who couldn't play in the SANFL doesn't mean he doesn't exist!!
He is an inside mid(described as a bull!) who captained Claremont to the WAFL Championship last year. He averaged 18 disposals, 4.5 clearances & 6.3 tackles.
We now need outside mids with pace(Hollands, Maher) IMO.

Those aren't great numbers for an inside midfielder... Especially one who is 190 cm+.

Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by O'Connor, however, at this point, he should not be someone we're planning around. His job to bury whoever his competition is next year so we can say "yes, Ronin certainly is a likely type".

Outside midfielders is pretty low on the need list, and even by who you list show that as Hollands and Maher are projected to be more inside midfielders come the end of the day. Pacey inside mids are definitely a need, especially with how defence is developing around manic pressure. Primarily outside midfielders at this point isn't a genuine need however (though, could do with one more prospect, but happy to go high risk later in the draft here), seeing Hamill, Sholl and Milera all look like they'll be long term options and Smith is going to be around for a couple of years yet.

Nope. none of them have his size and only Poholke of those mentioned is anything other than pedestrian pace wise
They are all mids taken roughly at the same point in the draft.

Like Ronin, none of them set the house on fire in the underage years. He is a better physical specimen but he clearly struggled to accumulate enough of the ball while playing. It seems unrealistic to expect much of someone taken so late who wasn't first choice midfield rotation for his state junior side.

Those aren't great numbers for an inside midfielder... Especially one who is 190 cm+.

Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by O'Connor, however, at this point, he should not be someone we're planning around. His job to bury whoever his competition is next year so we can say "yes, Ronin certainly is a likely type".

Outside midfielders is pretty low on the need list, and even by who you list show that as Hollands and Maher are projected to be more inside midfielders come the end of the day. Pacey inside mids are definitely a need, especially with how defence is developing around manic pressure. Primarily outside midfielders at this point isn't a genuine need however (though, could do with one more prospect, but happy to go high risk later in the draft here), seeing Hamill, Sholl and Milera all look like they'll be long term options and Smith is going to be around for a couple of years yet.
Yeah, agreed.

I think he should be given opportunities, but we shouldn't be relying on third round pick midfielders.

Rant time..

This whole thing is rotten.. you just know the AFL are gonna go with the “vibe” the spiteful crows hating flogs in the media are creating of “brad is not worth pick 2”, totally ignoring their very own system in place that assigns the value, and find any excuse not to assign band 1 to brad going as a FA..

heck me.. the penalty we coped for tippet was so OTT and ridiculous when you see the penalties dished out to Melbourne for tanking, Carlton for their indescretions, Essendon for the drug saga (they ended upgetting pick 1 for that ffs) and geelong who admitted to systemic salary cap breaches over about 8 heckin years!..

then we lose dangerfield for heck all and he goes on to become the brownlow medalist, we are forced to massively overpay for gibbs and the vic media said we shouldve been grateful to do so, we lose Cameron, Lever, McGovern and have to scrounge to get the best deals all whilst the vic ******* media talked their trade values down and ranted about a camp as the reason gov wanted out ignore the huge bag of money Carlton stuck in front of the lad..

that absolute utensil smoker Gill supposedly believes the AFL media should have integrity but says nothing whilst the snivelling flogs talk brad crouch’s value down as much as they can due to their nasty vindictive little hatred of all things crows.

the whole AFL organisation is a heckin circus that has not one drop of integrity. Its seriously like its run by a bunch of teenage school kids with a little “cool kids” group and run on gossip and inuendo and if you arent in the right group your ****ed..

As long as Dunstan isn’t getting games, I’m fine with bringing him in if it means it gets pick 2 to the club

He’s the last thing we need, buttaking his salary might be the key to getting the first thing we want/need

Can't we just give the Saints a brown paper bag every year and not take Duncan instead?

They have their sights set on a King lol.
Ben King signed and extension with Gold Coast until end of 2022.

The only reason we told Brad to explore his options was that pick 2 was available after our pathetic season.

If his contract doesn't trigger band one we match it/keep him, trading for pick 15 (which will end up about 20) and their 2nd for next year (30 odd) is ridiculous.

Pick 15 plus Dean Gore Dunstan would be equally ridiculous.

Josh Dunkley is also easily worth 2 first rounds picks I've reliably informed by Trade Radio
That's just pick wise, you also have to take into account his marketing potential 😂😂
An inside mid who didn't dominate underage footy and was taken in the backend of the draft is more likely to not make it than make it.

It's not impossible for him, but you'd have to assume that the odds are stacked against him.
Given the lack of noise around him this season it's likely, but that could also just be COVID. He was a Hamish special that's for sure and I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Kornes talks a lot of BS, but I'm of the same opinion on this one. I wouldn't be offering Brad any more than 3yrs with his injury history, which is what the Crows have offered if what I read is true.
End of the Day the Saint are interested in getting a Player that will help win a flag in the next 3 years if they need to sign that player up for 4-5 years they will do so,

also i think the wages are dropping so band 1 wages should drop also
This is the bit I don't get. It's 4 days until the FA period starts, and about 10 until the trade period starts. Surely any decision on player payments reducing won't be made before then, given it has to get past the AFLPA, this won't be a quick process.

So surely any decision on compensation has to be made based on the current pay scales. If the player payments come down after that, all well and good, but that's an unknown and not something that can be taken into account right now.

Plus - that's also assuming the player payments will be adjusted down as a flat % across the board, when it could - might - be tapered so that the lowest paid players don't get hid unreasonably hard.

I don't see how a mooted, unknown future reduction in player payments can be used in determining FA compensation in the next week or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rant time..

This whole thing is rotten.. you just know the AFL are gonna go with the “vibe” the spiteful crows hating flogs in the media are creating of “brad is not worth pick 2”, totally ignoring their very own system in place that assigns the value, and find any excuse not to assign band 1 to brad going as a FA..

fu** me.. the penalty we coped for tippet was so OTT and ridiculous when you see the penalties dished out to Melbourne for tanking, Carlton for their indescretions, Essendon for the drug saga (they ended upgetting pick 1 for that ffs) and geelong who admitted to systemic salary cap breaches over about 8 fu**in years!..

then we lose dangerfield for fu** all and he goes on to become the brownlow medalist, we are forced to massively overpay for gibbs and the vic media said we shouldve been grateful to do so, we lose Cameron, Lever, McGovern and have to scrounge to get the best deals all whilst the vic ******* media talked their trade values down and ranted about a camp as the reason gov wanted out ignore the huge bag of money Carlton stuck in front of the lad..

that absolute utensil smoker Gill supposedly believes the AFL media should have integrity but says nothing whilst the snivelling flogs talk brad crouch’s value down as much as they can due to their nasty vindictive little hatred of all things crows.

the whole AFL organisation is a fu**in circus that has not one drop of integrity. Its seriously like its run by a bunch of teenage school kids with a little “cool kids” group and run on gossip and inuendo and if you arent in the right group your f’ed..
Now you're getting it. The AFL isn't a sporting competition with ethics and rules that govern who, how and when teams are succsesful - it is a long running TV show with storylines, recurring characters, spin-offs and plot arcs that keep people tuning in each week. If you ever want to truly put yourself in the mind of the AFL when they're about to make a decision, just think 'how would this story line play with the largest audience base in the AFL's demographic', and if you're struggling to do that, just tune into AFL media and they can let you know.

The AFL is basically WWE with a ball at this point. Might be a slight exaggeration for effect, true, but when those two organisations sit down at the end of the year and meaure their success against their metrics, how different do you think those metrics really are? I'm guessing they're pretty much identical.

Now you're getting it. The AFL isn't a sporting competition with ethics and rules that govern who, how and when teams are succsesful - it is a long running TV show with storylines, recurring characters, spin-offs and plot arcs that keep people tuning in each week. If you ever want to truly put yourself in the mind of the AFL when they're about to make a decision, just think 'how would this story line play with the largest audience base in the AFL's demographic', and if you're struggling to do that, just tune into AFL media and they can let you know.

The AFL is basically WWE with a ball at this point. Might be a slight exaggeration for effect, true, but when those two organisations sit down at the end of the year and meaure their success against their metrics, how different do you think those metrics really are? I'm guessing they're pretty much identical.
What we need is for Dangerfield to come out and say how good Brad Crouch is and that he is worth heaps of $$$ and Crows should definitely get pick 2 for him.

The only reason we told Brad to explore his options was that pick 2 was available after our pathetic season.

If his contract doesn't trigger band one we match it/keep him, trading for pick 15 (which will end up about 20) and their 2nd for next year (30 odd) is ridiculous.

Pick 15 plus Dean Gore Dunstan would be equally ridiculous.
100% agree. Brad is young enough and good enough to be a really good player for us for the next 5 years. The Only reason to not keep him is if we can get pick 2.

Change it to 3 at 800k with 2 years triggered at lower $$ and easy trigger clause to make same 5 year value
Unfortunately the AFL count all years including triggers and average it out. 3 years at 900 with 2 years triggering 400 would be averaged out at 700 per year, which would be band 2.

What we need is for Dangerfield to come out and say how good Brad Crouch is and that he is worth heaps of $$$ and Crows should definitely get pick 2 for him.
Do it Danger!

A thought. If band 1 is off the table then as a club we have to match so St Kilda don't get a free hit and we cop a sh1t pick for our best mid.

So I think we have to say as a non-negotiable that we get pick 15 and their 2021 2nd. Now maybe we give back a future 4th or 5th rounder but we have to AT LEAST get those 2 picks from the saints.

Then I would be looking to trade 20 & 29 with the dogs for pick 13

The next deal I would try to do is package picks 8 & 13 to get back into the top 5 - maybe GC / maybe Hawthorn

So having lost brad crouch and worked some trades a possible draft hand could be:

Pick 1 - Hollands
Pick 4 or 5 - Thilthorpe
Pick 15 - Another mid
Atkins pick (hopefully band 3 - big big fingers crossed) - Another mid

and then use later picks for Hately, Borlace, Edwards and Newchurch
Although not top 5 picks, Essendon and Carlton's first picks may be gettable too. Both clubs have big trade targets they are after and may be willing to split their first pick into 2 x later first rounders to facilitate the trades.

Blues currently have pick 7 which is way overs for Saad, we could offer them 15 and 20 for pick 7, they give up one for Saad and keep the other for themselves. Same with Bombers and Dunkley, it may help their situation to split the pick.

This may rule us out of the bulldogs swap for pick 13 but gives us more options at the pointy end.

I can see the AFL coming up with a band one and a half. They can't justify pick 2 for us, and pick 20 is not going to cut it, and so the Crows and St Kilda argue for the AFL to give us a first round pick before this years finalists - pick 12.
That would be another 'make it up on the fly' rule from the AFL, so it's probably the favourite option ATM

I can see the AFL coming up with a band one and a half. They can't justify pick 2 for us, and pick 20 is not going to cut it, and so the Crows and St Kilda argue for the AFL to give us a first round pick before this years finalists - pick 12.

I can see the AFL getting around this by saying "well Adelaide are losing Crouch, Atkins and Hartigan. Crouch is a band 2 player but we're adding on the value of Atkins and Hartigan, now it's pick 12, thanks seeya later"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back