News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I posted this morning that I felt it would be a "no match" and we would take the band 2 compo, and we'd trade picks with the Saints to make the outcome better. I still believe that's the likely outcome.

Theres no point in matching if you don't want the player. Match and trade makes no sense when you have a compo pick available to you which evaporates in a trade and match scenario. Yes Kelly said band 1 or match, but saying that keeps the Saints honest in negotiations. Assuming they want Brad enough it ensures they want to avoid a match situation.

It blows my mind that they didn't just pay Brad enough to guarantee that. A free hit was on offer which was surely worth an extra $100k pa. But Brad's patchy history obviously worried them enough to make them lower their base and add a bunch of triggers.

We obviously don't want Brad on the terms the Saints have put forward. He shopped himself last year and would have gone to GC had they not got cold feet (or another reason). We put a decent offer to him which he rejected and which we then withdrew. That, together with the difficulties we have had with him was probably enough for us to put a line through him.

I get the anger about not getting pick 2, but I don't quite get the anger at the club. This isn't a trade. Adelaide can't control what St Kilda or the AFL do. The criticism is that we clearly misread his market value. It sounds to me as though, if this wasn't an RFA year for Brad, we would have been looking to trade him anyway, given that we told him to explore offers. So we clearly saw an opportunity to get a band 1 pick, probably based on what GC offered him last year.

In the context of all that, I'm ok with the club taking the compo and trading picks to get us a better final outcome. Pissed with no band 1, pissed with the Saints for not making a better offer, pissed with the AFL for their stupid manipulation, pissed that another first round pick (which he basically was) has turned into a bust and wasted talent, pissed with the club for getting itself into this position. But ok with them trying to make the best of another s**t hand.

Can someone please explain why we would announce we were matching either today or yesterday?

We have until 5pm tomorrow. We may have already decided as a club to match yesterday or even Sunday night. There is no benefit in announcing it earlier than we need to.

GWS took two days to match.

God some of your are bedwetters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this morning that I felt it would be a "no match" and we would take the band 2 compo, and we'd trade picks with the Saints to make the outcome better. I still believe that's the likely outcome.

Theres no point in matching if you don't want the player. Match and trade makes no sense when you have a compo pick available to you which evaporates in a trade and match scenario. Yes Kelly said band 1 or match, but saying that keeps the Saints honest in negotiations. Assuming they want Brad enough it ensures they want to avoid a match situation.

It blows my mind that they didn't just pay Brad enough to guarantee that. A free hit was on offer which was surely worth an extra $100k pa. But Brad's patchy history obviously worried them enough to make them lower their base and add a bunch of triggers.

We obviously don't want Brad on the terms the Saints have put forward. He shopped himself last year and would have gone to GC had they not got cold feet (or another reason). We put a decent offer to him which he rejected and which we then withdrew. That, together with the difficulties we have had with him was probably enough for us to put a line through him.

I get the anger about not getting pick 2, but I don't quite get the anger at the club. This isn't a trade. Adelaide can't control what St Kilda or the AFL do. The criticism is that we clearly misread his market value. It sounds to me as though, if this wasn't an RFA year for Brad, we would have been looking to trade him anyway, given that we told him to explore offers. So we clearly saw an opportunity to get a band 1 pick, probably based on what GC offered him last year.

In the context of all that, I'm ok with the club taking the compo and trading picks to get us a better final outcome. Pissed with no band 1, pissed with the Saints for not making a better offer, pissed with the AFL for their stupid manipulation, pissed that another first round pick (which he basically was) has turned into a bust and wasted talent, pissed with the club for getting itself into this position. But ok with them trying to make the best of another sh*t hand.

How about we put on our big boy pants, and match like we said we would.

EDIT: To add, this is a direct quote from the AFC website

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly has confirmed Adelaide is willing to match any offer lodged for restricted free agent Brad Crouch.

I keep hearing folk say that the Saints hold all the cards, how is this so?
They want Brad, they pay up. I’m not sure how them wanting to keep picks for the off chance of getting King is your concern. The Saints midfield will cost them going further next year and if they pass off on Crouch and slip backwards next year the fans would lynch the club. It’s up to them to get it done

We have Laird, Matt Crouch, Talia, Smith, Kelly, Tex and Lynch all as FA's next year too.

Yep only Laird and the rest can do whatever they want. Got a couple of stale doughnuts for a couple of them.

Can someone please explain why we would announce we were matching either today or yesterday?

We have until 5pm tomorrow. We may have already decided as a club to match yesterday or even Sunday night. There is no benefit in announcing it earlier than we need to.

GWS took two days to match.

God some of your are bedwetters.
Poor communication from the club to members. Once again. Why am I not surprised.

Anyone have Fages’ mobile number? I’d love to sign him up to some gyms.

Saw Daniel Talia in Next Gen last Friday do workouts at 9am. A true professional.

Saw Daniel Talia in Next Gen last Friday do workouts at 9am. A true professional.
Just going to work like the rest of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back