Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Breakfast Club for the first time earlier this year - has it aged badly? Because i totally did not get the hype. Totally would the goth girl though

Probably depends what youre expecting. Its a single set, dialogue heavy, teen coming of age story. Its not really a comedy and unless you can relate to the universal themes of the kids struggles it would be pretty dull. Its got some glaring issues (Bender and Claires relationship starts with straight up sexual assault for starters) but overall its pretty iconic. Not Another Teen Movie literally for Paul Gleason to reprise his role for an homage bit 20 years after the fact and it still works.

I watched Breakfast Club for the first time earlier this year - has it aged badly? Because i totally did not get the hype. Totally would the goth girl though
Taken in isolation the plot is very paint by numbers, the characters are pretty boring 2D cutouts and their ‘big secrets’ are all fairly predictable.

The big strength of the film is mostly John Hughes’ skill at writing dialogue that feels like the genuine lived experience of actual, normal ‘80s teenagers. That’s rare and pretty difficult to do.

The ideas may be mundane and hackneyed, but in its own way that helps - being a teenager is mostly about discovering the mundane and hackneyed things for yourself, and feeling like you’ve uncovered something immensely unique and special.

It’s not a film I personally like very much, but I understand why it’s so iconic. If I had seen it as a teenager it probably would have resonated with me immensely.

Last edited:
Taken in isolation the plot is very paint by numbers, the characters are pretty boring 2D cutouts and their ‘big secrets’ are all fairly predictable.

The big strength of the film is mostly John Hughes’ skill at writing dialogue that feels like the genuine lived experience of actual, normal ‘80s teenagers. That’s rare and pretty difficult to do.

The ideas may be mundane and hackneyed, but in its own way that helps - being a teenager is mostly about feeling like the most mundane and hackneyed things are immensely important, because they are all happening to you for the first time and so they must be unique and special.

It’s not a film I personally like very much, but I understand why it’s so iconic. If I had seen it as a teenager it probably would have resonated with me immensely.
Yep thats my experience. Am the same age as the students so it totally resonated with me. I watched it again a couple of years ago and i think its dated pretty badly. Wasn't the principal outed as a pedo?

Never saw the appeal either, mostly because I once did detention IRL where the resident psycho/school bully tried to kill the teacher with a pair of scissors

The breakfast club was a bit lamo after that

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ideas may be mundane and hackneyed, but in its own way that helps - being a teenager is mostly about feeling like the most mundane and hackneyed things are immensely important, because they are all happening to you for the first time and so they must be unique and special.

i caught this on Saturday on Foxtel, i never really liked it when i first watched it in the 80's, i wasn't quite a teenager when it came out and didn't really like it so didn't watch it again until about 15 years ago and i really enjoyed it, maybe i was too young to fully appreciate the movie when it came out

Breakfast Club came out the same time for me at the same age of the kids depicted. Loved it. Probably watched the VHS tape 60x or more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Night Stalker starring Lou Diamond Phillips.

Based on the real life events of nototorious seriel killer Richard Ramirez who ran amok in the 1980's. I enjoyed it.
Where did you see it? I've caught the start on tv twice on my lunch break but had to go back to work. Tried torrents but no luck. Terrible copy on YouTube too.

Was a rainy lazy Sunday yesterday and I did a weird combo.

His House - Horror with themes of death and racism. Pretty Good.

Duplex - I was tired and just left it on TV because I'd never heard of it despite DeVito directing and a couple of bankable leads. Was kind of a nothing movie. Supposed to be a black comedy but not really funny. I'm a sucker for Barrymore though.

Do Americans really have to go to detention on the weekend?
There’s plenty of schools in Australia which do weekend detention (or used to). Ours did, although it was a significant step up from after-school detention.

My school nominally had caning on the books as punishment for most of the 90s, although it was never used during my time there.

Yep. Most do it before/after school though.

Wow. Ive never known of a weekend detention at either of the schools i worked at. Apparently getting an after school is a nightmare, all the paperwork or something. I could be wrong about that tho idk... its not like i had the authority to hand out detentions anyway.

Do Americans really have to go to detention on the weekend?
Then yes, now not sure.
My school nominally had caning on the books as punishment for most of the 90s, although it was never used during my time there.
This is true. I was primary school in the 80’s and we got the cane.
Then I went home to my Jehovah’s Witness cult mother and got decidedly worse. 😢

Wow. Ive never known of a weekend detention at either of the schools i worked at. Apparently getting an after school is a nightmare, all the paperwork or something. I could be wrong about that tho idk... its not like i had the authority to hand out detentions anyway.
80s bro.

Then yes, now not sure.

This is true. I was primary school in the 80’s and we got the cane.
Then I went home to my Jehovah’s Witness cult mother and got decidedly worse. 😢

I am still astounded to this day, how long it took to totally eliminate corporal punishment from schools here. Just... really shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back