Which 2 can step up in 2016 to make us a genuine contender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year Dustin Martin finished 7th in the Brownlow. That is elite! (surely Cotch and Lids can claim elite status too?????)

The OP is for 2 players to BECOME elite.

1 mid and 1 forward go from ordinary to elite, I think will get us top 2.

Conca and Vickery

From what I've seen over the pre-season, Lennon could be the one for me. Improved fitness base and noticeably more aggressive. Add that to an already impressive skill set of good hands and great kick and we have a player.
I would love to see Griff be the other big improver. So many traits that could see him as one of the best big men in the comp. I'm pretty confident Vickery will make it now and be a huge part of our future success. If Griff comes on as a more mobile further afield target/relief ruckman that kicks more goals, then we would have a forward line that would put the fear into god (not that Gary Ablett senior liked to defend much at the Best of times)
Conor Menadue could be a guy to help fill the spot Yarram was recruited to play. I don't think he'll ever be a big unit but more a rangy Grimes like build but he has competed well from what I've seen and don't be at all suprised if he's there Rd1.

Last edited:

Don't know about Conca, but you're wrong, wrong, WRONG about Yarran.

That's not even an opinion bro, that's a fact. :cool:

Yarran is going to be one of our best players in 2016, take that to the bank buddy! :thumbsu:
Am I in front ATM ? My concern was Yarran getting back to some level of fitness and each time he is hit with a niggling injury his confidence could plummet followed by attitude as he has time off.
At this stage I'm still think he has a higher chance of being bust for 2016. Possibly too many things working against him. May need
another year.

Not sure if it's been said but I think it needs to happen in the midfield. We need to bat deep enough to make sure we can put in very hard to beat 4 quarter's. Having control & maintaining the ball is a big part of where our fortunes will be decided....

Am I in front ATM ? My concern was Yarran getting back to some level of fitness and each time he is hit with a niggling injury his confidence could plummet followed by attitude as he has time off.
At this stage I'm still think he has a higher chance of being bust for 2016. Possibly too many things working against him. May need
another year.

If your concern was about Yarran's potential for pre-season injuries hurting his preparation, I don't think I would have disagreed with you, because that was always a potential risk.

But I got the impression that your concerns seemed to have been coming from thinking Yarran's talent wasn't enough to improve us as a team, assuming no injuries, which is why I disagreed with you. :)

Yarran's definitely had some bad luck over the pre-season, so his 2016 probably won't be as good as it could have been, but he'll still play more games than any kid taken with Pick 19 would have, and long term, he'll still become a very important player for the RFC. :thumbsu:

As for his actual impact in 2016, well, surrounded by a good team during his early days at Carlton, we've seen what Yarran can do even with limited preparation, and it's not as if we'll be relying on him to carry us.

He is a "gravy" player, which is why he suits us well. We already are one of the better teams in the competition, and I have no doubt that when Yarran comes into the team, he'll add that extra touch of class and speed that will make us a great team! :cool:

If your concern was about Yarran's potential for pre-season injuries hurting his preparation, I don't think I would have disagreed with you, because that was always a potential risk.

But I got the impression that your concerns seemed to have been coming from thinking Yarran's talent wasn't enough to improve us as a team, assuming no injuries, which is why I disagreed with you. :)

Yarran's definitely had some bad luck over the pre-season, so his 2016 probably won't be as good as it could have been, but he'll still play more games than any kid taken with Pick 19 would have, and long term, he'll still become a very important player for the RFC. :thumbsu:

As for his actual impact in 2016, well, surrounded by a good team during his early days at Carlton, we've seen what Yarran can do even with limited preparation, and it's not as if we'll be relying on him to carry us.

He is a "gravy" player, which is why he suits us well. We already are one of the better teams in the competition, and I have no doubt that when Yarran comes into the team, he'll add that extra touch of class and speed that will make us a great team! :cool:
you maybe right reaper,but i think a few people are getting the jitters at this stage.Even old Postie Tiger Mick at the local TAB (who has never said a bad word about any Tiger) said this could be a bigger disaster than Chris Knights. I told him to turn it up,but injuries ,attitude and application were all the concerns i had with possum yarran;)

While I think Lennon will make a big difference and will step up ..and I also think the recruitment of Yarran will help considerably..and Vickery having a more consistent year ..which I think he will ...all these things will help .....but I hope the recruitment of Moore and Townsend will provide the biggest difference ..certain teams kill us in the middle and if we can arrest that with these two,s help then all the other flow on benefits up forward and down back will be huge ...maybe as much as another 3 to 4 games in the win column in H&A ..that puts us top 4 ..anything can happen from there ...

Will also be interested to see if we have more speed across the ground in general Menadue,Yarran ..that will help our forwards immensely

First one to step up

Hardwick - He has been going OK but still IMO tries to get creative at the wrong times. I want to see some messages coming from him. A player regardless of who it is, strays from the game plan, drop them. A player has a block of poor form, drop them, regardless of who they are, till they prove they are in form in the VFL....Also i want to see how he has been innovative this year in our ball movement. We were to slow with the ball a lot last year, hurt our offence via protecting our defense. I want to see what innovations he has done to the game plan to correct that.

The other one for me is Rioli.

I hate putting pressure on the kid but we have been screaming out for a defensive "skilled" small forward who has X factor and can apply pressure in our F50. If he can do that, will go a long way to make us a more formidable side.

Conca and Cotchin.

With a tiny bit more time and space Cotchin can get back to being the football genius we all know he can be (we saw it in 2012).
And a fit Conca growing in confidence as the season progresses would be a massive boost. Almost like a new recruit because we've never seen the best of him in my opinion.

Not a lot of love for Flossy here. Personally I think he's a prime possibility to take the step up better than average this year. Nothing flash, but one of those guys who just seems to improve every year, until suddenly he's mid 20's and regarded as a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First one to step up

Hardwick - He has been going OK but still IMO tries to get creative at the wrong times. I want to see some messages coming from him. A player regardless of who it is, strays from the game plan, drop them. A player has a block of poor form, drop them, regardless of who they are, till they prove they are in form in the VFL....Also i want to see how he has been innovative this year in our ball movement. We were to slow with the ball a lot last year, hurt our offence via protecting our defense. I want to see what innovations he has done to the game plan to correct that.

The other one for me is Rioli.

I hate putting pressure on the kid but we have been screaming out for a defensive "skilled" small forward who has X factor and can apply pressure in our F50. If he can do that, will go a long way to make us a more formidable side.

Agree on Hardwick. We have some major weaknesses, and some pretty impressive strengths. These weaknesses are fairly obvious. The squad weaknesses have only recently been addressed through recruitment. In terms of playing style we sometimes seem to get stuck on some bright idea, and can get taken to the cleaners by a good coach. I hope we see rewarding of VFL form and the inclusion of some new players. I also hope that we make it normal that we move the ball fast to our tall KPFs, with some decent small crumbers coming in. If we can get that style of tough defense matched with genuine attack we will annihilate many teams. The other thing is stopping teams when they get on a role. Sometimes Dimma has to take it on the chin and restructure to stop the opposition when his plan isn't working. He's not a player, but the coaching in general can improve a lot. Still among the top line in the AFL, but I reckon we can improve to absolute top end.

LOL yes agree
In hindsight I don’t even really understand what we wanted him to be
He was to short to be a kpp but to big to be a small forward
He was only going to ever be maybe a 3rd tall type but we were acting like he was gonna be a superstar

In hindsight I don’t even really understand what we wanted him to be
He was to short to be a kpp but to big to be a small forward
He was only going to ever be maybe a 3rd tall type but we were acting like he was gonna be a superstar
He was meant to be our version of Menzel but never had the athleticism , leap , speed or agility not to mention a total knob and self entitled princess that he was. Terrible pick in so many ways

Lids picked up how lazy he was in the first year and gave it to him but Lennon just sooked to the coaches and it got out that Deledio was terrible with the junior players.

Glad he has gone

There were a number of acceptable answers, including- Short, Grimes, Vlastuin, Edwards and Martin. Top marks to you if you voted for any of these players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back