Training Training Thread - News & Live Reports II

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick Skinner up before March 6 to fill our list spot

and put Comben on LTI for a pick in the mid season draft

isnt Comben due back by mid season? I can’t see us putting him on LTI if that’s the case but if he’s not up by then I hope so but we never seem to do it!!

Skinner seems a great option and I’d been keen on him pre-season for sure!

HS reporting we are playing saints in a scratch match - but from what I can tell, nothing about a specific date. Can anyone shed any light?

10 years in the AFL system. Unlikely much will change now. You cross your fingers and hope he turns up if he's picked in the team.

We'll all be happy if he recaptures his 2016-2017 form.

His 40 disposals, 10 inside 50's & 816 metres gained in 84% TOG vs the 2017 premiers will suit me nicely.

I think folks have forgotten that this blokes best is elite.

No one is denying we would be better with him in the team, but the Bradley Scott approach hasn’t worked previously, so the question is, would we be any closer to a premiership?

Brad's no longer the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll all be happy if he recaptures his 2016-2017 form.

His 40 disposals, 10 inside 50's & 816 metres gained in 84% TOG vs the 2017 premiers will suit me nicely.

I think folks have forgotten that this blokes best is elite.

In 10 years the elite output has been spasmodic at best. Optimistically we can hope he recaptures form from 4-5 years ago, reality is that’s unlikely. While he’s still on the list this year, hopefully he goes OK when he’s called on.

The relevant takes I got from it:

Leaders (not limited to onfield or just players either) need to be role models with their behaviours. You need to set the tone, because people inherently go with the crowd.

Processes over goals. Find out what a 'good day' looks like so that you can better create good days, because if you have enough good days you'll have a good month, and if you have enough good months you'll have a good year. Basically identifying and focusing on the minutia of the processes that lead to success, and less attention to the KPI's/goals themselves as they will sort themselves out if the process is right (and it's easier to create lasting positive reinforcement if you focus on the process).

Positive reinforcement/feedback are key. Reward and challenge behaviours, but positive reinforcement almost universally leads to better results.

Focus more on strengths than weaknesses. You dwell on negative things longer than positive, and when you point out and trying to fix a player's weakness too much, rather than reinforcing their strengths, you're not always doing them the favour you think you are.

Focus more on strengths than weaknesses. You dwell on negative things longer than positive, and when you point out and trying to fix a player's weakness too much, rather than reinforcing their strengths, you're not always doing them the favour you think you are.

And that is exactly to the tee what Andrew Russel said on the Dyl and friends podcast. That is a misconception nearly everyone thinks is beneficial. I cannot stress this point enough

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A much more professional club now, the days of not really getting the best out of yourself are over.

A gave this a bit of a viewing, not suggesting you all listen but it's relevant to what we expect.

That is *en excellent. Seriously Roos is good. You have to hear him in depth to understand but he gets what is going on and how to make things work. if he can translate his words into actions or knows people who can (ie Noble) then we will benefit.

Listening to that its easy to see the picture of the footy departments strategies, mostly off field. So not so much in the gameday detail but in building an organisation that is internally resilient and can function without reliance on particular individuals. Its how Richmond works. They have ... someone posted it here after one of their last two GF wins... I can't remember exactly but it was wtte of discipline, commitment and intensity. If we have him consulting to just keep our focus on what he is describing we will spend soe time at the pointy end of the ladder and give ourselves our best shot at multiple flags.

As an aside I think the way he talks about "safe" environments is good. It gets alot of s**t as a concept but only from people who don't get it. The SNAFU principle - "communication is only possible between equals" - is a problem in hierarchies, so being safe to criticise anyone or at least speak your mind is really important. Its not about protecting snowflakes, its about creating the same environment in your organisation that you get in a healthy society. Where people can speak freely whatever their status. Organisations function better when the information flow isn't impeded by artificial barriers. This is the sort of s**t dilettantes like Jordan Peterson don't understand when they bang on about how great heirarchies are. In wild primate societies (we're domesticated) it seems alot of energy is spent by the leaders (alpha males) trying to undermine the hierarchy they control in order to do their job and to make their society function.

Last edited:
Jordan Peterson and his views are not relevant to the thread.
Don't be so easily triggered. The guy who picked our coach basically said "We try to acknowledge the SNAFU principle and maintain open, free flowing comms networks as a result."

Two whole pages before culture war s**t starts rearing it's head fmd lol. Can we please just not?

Something I forgot to mention and similar to what ferbal said regarding Richmond, Roos talked about identifying a company's values and orientating actions and behaviours around that. We get a lot of talk about the shinboner spirit, will be interesting to see if the new regime properly adopts it. Use it right and it would be a very powerful motivator and cohesive tool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back