Preview 2021 AFL Community Series - Carlton v St Kilda Friday 4th March @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not playing Stocker is correct.

If he played would be like last week, limited minutes in his preferred position, clearly they want to get as close to the round 1 side as possible.

On Friday Carlton & St Kilda VFL practice match is on, playing him in that he gets 4 full quarters in the guts, that’s got to be more beneficial than 10-15 min on Thursday Night.

With Covid & leaving the hub he missed out on a lot footy last year, so getting him a full game in the position they see him in going forward is surely the best option
His non inclusion makes the decision to give Stocker limited time in the praccy game against Essendon difficult to understand. Not sure I would have given Cripps so much time in the middle against a second rate team knowing he would be playing the following week against St Kilda. It would have been a great opportunity to rotate some of our emerging talent like Stocker or even utility types like Cuningham and Jack into the middle.

His non inclusion makes the decision to give Stocker limited time in the praccy game against Essendon difficult to understand. Not sure I would have given Cripps so much time in the middle against a second rate team knowing he would be playing the following week against St Kilda. It would have been a great opportunity to rotate some of our emerging talent like Stocker or even utility types like Cuningham and Jack into the middle.
Only two practice matches in an already shortened pre-season and significant players with minimal games together, I think the club is very much trying to get as close to the first round team as much game time together as possible.

Is LOB any closer to a round 1 call up than Stocker? I would've preferred to see more of Stocker tbh...
Certainly looks that way, plenty of time for Stocker and agree a full game in reserves is best for him right now IMO.

LOB interesting, classy and a beautiful user . A natural wing man for mine , hope he carves it up as Paddy did last week.

Williams named at H.B. interesting.......

Would rather give Cripps as much opportunity to build into match fitness and touch for the season proper, and Stocker can continue to develop in the reserves.

One interclub praccy match and one preseason match - that's all the senior blokes get outside of their usual training. Cripps takes priority over Stocker.

Is LOB any closer to a round 1 call up than Stocker? I would've preferred to see more of Stocker tbh...
I think the difference is the way they play and how it fits into our game plan. There is plenty more spots for an elite runner then there are for inside mids who are a bit slow.

Certainly looks that way, plenty of time for Stocker and agree a full game in reserves is best for him right now IMO.

LOB interesting, classy and a beautiful user . A natural wing man for mine , hope he carves it up as Paddy did last week.

Williams named at H.B. interesting.......
Is anyone else concerned about having Curnow and Setterfield on the wings? Such an important role in breaking a defensive zone and requires pinpoint kicking inboard and along the boundary line. I'm not sure where they go with Williams Walsh and Dow into the middle though.

And OMac named at CHF...

Don't worry too much about the positions they're named in. Williams will play mid and forward, and probably have a little run off HB at some point, Curnow will play wing, on ball and forward, Setters will play wing and probably some time down back.

We're creating quite a flexible core of players which will put us in good stead long term, lots of players with decent cops in a second position, and some freaks like Martin and Williams who could genuinely play on any line.

Is anyone else concerned about having Curnow and Setterfield on the wings? Such an important role in breaking a defensive zone and requires pinpoint kicking inboard and along the boundary line. I'm not sure where they go with Williams Walsh and Dow into the middle though.
Setterfield was BOG last week on a wing IMO, used the ball really well.

As for Ed, no one really tags in the pre-season so why not sift him out of the middle to allow others to practice their craft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep - but not with Setters, although I'd prefer he played midfield.

Last edited:
I still don't see this. I agree he's got a beautiful action, but his kick placement is often off, and he sprays it OOBotF at an alarming rate.
Better base fitness, leads to better disposal. His action will ensure that once he gets into AFL shape his kicking will become a weapon

Concerned about this game full stop. Saints seem to match up really well on us, I am having bad feels.

They've consistently had the edge over us in recent times, and our games against them are prime examples of how regularly our mids would get tunnel vision, collapse in on the contest and then get killed on the spread.

It's a good test for us in the preseason, almost the perfect prep for round one against Richmond. We just need to hold our structures and trust the ball winners to win the ball and feed it out, and our backline needs to be dialed in to combat a dangerous combination of quality talls and smalls.

They've consistently had the edge over us in recent times, and our games against them are prime examples of how regularly our mids would get tunnel vision, collapse in on the contest and then get killed on the spread.

It's a good test for us in the preseason, almost the perfect prep for round one against Richmond. We just need to hold our structures and trust the ball winners to win the ball and feed it out, and our backline needs to be dialed in to combat a dangerous combination of quality talls and smalls.
Who gets Membrey tonight , Plowman ? He has been a thorn in our side the last few outings against the Saints . I hope Plowman is a little bit better this week didn't he have Waterman last week ?

I

I also remember a time when Liam Jones was a failed forward but look at him now , maybe we trialled OMac in an intraclub and he smashed it ? Stranger things have happened .

Potentially, but my guess is that he's only playing there because we have Charlie/Levi/Gov/TDK injured...so he's there for structure purposes, giving us another tall up forward for our whole team to practice our usual structure.

I really like Setters on the wing. I like having a tall wingman that can run all day, tackle, and can also bop up in the forward line to create a mismatch. Setters has shown that he can do all these things. Not the quickest guy but he goes hard at the ball and will go all day. Someone like Setters on one wing and Martin on the other would be perfect. I think Curnow should play as an inside mid (giving Cripps a break) or be given a tagging role. Williams, Walsh and Dow too provide the dash in the middle.

Potentially, but my guess is that he's only playing there because we have Charlie/Levi/Gov/TDK injured...so he's there for structure purposes, giving us another tall up forward for our whole team to practice our usual structure.
Exactly they want to get as close to what they want throughout the year. With full respect to OMac he is a body that is put there to represent that player in that position

I really like Setters on the wing. I like having a tall wingman that can run all day, tackle, and can also bop up in the forward line to create a mismatch. Setters has shown that he can do all these things. Not the quickest guy but he goes hard at the ball and will go all day. Someone like Setters on one wing and Martin on the other would be perfect. I think Curnow should play as an inside mid (giving Cripps a break) or be given a tagging role. Williams, Walsh and Dow too provide the dash in the middle.
Also allows us to throw different options at taggers against Walsh (which will come pretty hard this year IMO), we can take Walsh inside and let him get some clearances and Cripps and co can put on some good blocks for him or we can push him back to the wing and let him blow the tagger up with his runner Bradley style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back