Preview 2021 AFL Community Series - Carlton v St Kilda Friday 4th March @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The glaring issue in my view with the midfield line-up most are proposing (probably accurately) is that 3 are below average kicks - Ed, Dow and Cripps .. probably in that order. Setters is average to me, though should be better IMO and Walsh I would say is a little above average.. Off half-back, for argument’s sake, Doc, SPS, Saad and Williams... It’s not bad, not great, imo. I struggle to see our F50 entries improving to the level required until we have better kicks running through the middle - further reason that I hope we see more of Cunners playing midfield. Cunners, Martin and Fish are probably our best users - we need some of that skill delivering the footy permanently rather than having them occasionally playing up the ground. Hope we see it tonight, but not holding my breath.

I would say that’s it got nothing to do with skill level but more game awareness for these guys plus the forwards leading at the ball. Last week Dow hit Harry with a beautiful lead up pass out of the centre square so it can be done.... it’s just knowing to lower your eyes number 1 and number 2 the forward presenting correctly. That’s why I want SPS forward of centre ... he’s eyes are always lowered!

I would say that’s it got nothing to do with skill level but more game awareness for these guys plus the forwards leading at the ball. Last week Dow hit Harry with a beautiful lead up pass out of the centre square so it can be done.... it’s just knowing to lower your eyes number 1 and number 2 the forward presenting correctly. That’s why I want SPS forward of centre ... he’s eyes are always lowered!

Very much a glass half full view! .. I think it’s undeniable that those first 3 names are below average. They’re AFL footballers so of course they’re going to nail some of their passes lace out. It’s being able to do it consistently that separates the highly skilled from the average.

Get the feeling Setters is being played as a wingman, to also add some height when pushing back defensively and or due to his disciplined nature to cover when the likes of Saad goes on a run.

Personally I prefer him around stoppages and I believe he will return to the guts, soon enough

This is what I like about him.

He’s a quick reader of the game, can get his hands on the pill and be effective no matter where he is.

As a comparison, Jack SoS is a similar size, but when he gets hold of it he’s got no impact. See ball, kick ball type.

Both are very good defensively.

Just an observation.

Very much a glass half full view! .. I think it’s undeniable that those first 3 names are below average. They’re AFL footballers so of course they’re going to nail some of their passes lace out. It’s being able to do it consistently that separates the highly skilled from the average.

Ed is not a great kick and Cripps is an engine room player not a finisher agreed.That’s why you get the ball to Martin, SPS, Williams, Williamson types to finish off your work.
Dow will be an interesting watch this year he might surprise you

Our balance is severely hampered by a missing Casboult. The 2nd tall forward and chop out in the ruck. Its also a roll De Koning could quite easily play, but he is also unavailable.

In terms of winning, and going by Stkildas seemingly ruthless performance against North last week, id expect them to be strong favourites. Im determined to not let the result, win loose or draw to really impact my thoughts on the season ahead. More interested in game within the game TBH.

Our balance is severely hampered by a missing Casboult. The 2nd tall forward and chop out in the ruck. Its also a roll De Koning could quite easily play, but he is also unavailable.

In terms of winning, and going by Stkildas seemingly ruthless performance against North last week, id expect them to be strong favourites. Im determined to not let the result, win loose or draw to really impact my thoughts on the season ahead. More interested in game within the game TBH.
Agree with this. Expecting us to lose fairly comfortably but just want to see the right signs from the right players.

Was mooching Kayo access off a family friend but he's since closed off his account. Might need to sign up myself.

Would love to see the club negotiate some kind of digital membership in partnership with Kayo. I'd struggle to get to more than 2 or 3 games these days, but would happily shell out $150+ for a Kayo season pass and nominal club membership.
Tis only$25 per month and the amount of other sports on there is great value but you raise a good point about a club deal . 👍

You'd have to expect our forward line to not work very well without Levi/Charlie/Gov/TDK/Betts and having O McDonald up there who's not even officially on our list.

Lacking in key talls and might be lacking in synergy. If our F50 conversion is poor i'd give it a pass due to the missing players, but would like to see our midfield and defence looking sharp since they are basically full strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bought a new TV late last year and the gave me Kayo for 12 months for free valued at $300!! (although if I didn't want Kayo they would only take about $120 off the price of the TV). Now I could have got the same thing for $60 because telstra are no longer able to offer the AFL live pass and my Telstra bill hasn't gone down at all!! :mad:

Was mooching Kayo access off a family friend but he's since closed off his account. Might need to sign up myself.

Would love to see the club negotiate some kind of digital membership in partnership with Kayo. I'd struggle to get to more than 2 or 3 games these days, but would happily shell out $150+ for a Kayo season pass and nominal club membership.
If you are with Telstra you can get a Kayo membership for $5 a month atm to make up for the no longer streaming live games on the AFL app, that’s a $20 a month discount for I think 12 months so it’s good value although we lose the no data usage from the afl site which is a pain. 😁👍

The glaring issue in my view with the midfield line-up most are proposing (probably accurately) is that 3 are below average kicks - Ed, Dow and Cripps .. probably in that order. Setters is average to me, though should be better IMO and Walsh I would say is a little above average.. Off half-back, for argument’s sake, Doc, SPS, Saad and Williams... It’s not bad, not great, imo. I struggle to see our F50 entries improving to the level required until we have better kicks running through the middle - further reason that I hope we see more of Cunners playing midfield. Cunners, Martin and Fish are probably our best users - we need some of that skill delivering the footy permanently rather than having them occasionally playing up the ground. Hope we see it tonight, but not holding my breath.
Obrien and Williamson on the wings would rectify this problem in a hurry as both are exceptional kicks and both are long accurate kicks as well, let’s hope we see some of this tonight at some stage.

Gibbons is another that did this well late last year and off both feet, just so important for them all to lower there eyes but also to look to the open fat side opposite to where they are running as this would generate a lot more scoring opportunities from set shots, especially for mids pushing forward inside the 50, both Setters and Kennedy are very good at finding the space when pushing inside 50 from the midfield players just need to look laterally more often before going long to the hot spot all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back