Preview 2021 AFL Community Series - Carlton v St Kilda Friday 4th March @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little perplexed about Stocker not getting a decent hitout Thursday, especially on the back of a decent preseason

Given we know what Mooore brings or doesn't to team, I would swap the two
Probably want a full game midfield Friday instead of bit parts Thursday .. he only got a 1/4 other day .. he will push someone out by round 5/6 I hope

Probably want a full game midfield Friday instead of bit parts Thursday .. he only got a 1/4 other day .. he will push someone out by round 5/6 I hope
Exactly I would say a full game in the reserves for him to push his chance and let McDonald & Moore make one last pitch for the final spot.

Little perplexed about Stocker not getting a decent hitout Thursday, especially on the back of a decent preseason

Given we know what Mooore brings or doesn't to team, I would swap the two
Do we though?

Moore played 2 games at AFL level last year and most all here have written him off. I’m not saying I think he’ll make it but I don’t think it’s fair to say we know all about him when he played 2 games last year that weren’t 12 a side.

Disappointed not to see stocker but given it seems that moore and McDonald are fighting for that spot it’s only fair to play them both.

I suspect his endurance is not quite where it needs to be just yet (last season wasn't much help). And there are other mids ahead of him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

No doubt on both counts, but this is a dead rubber of sorts, so why not play him and see what he can do.

No reason he cant get a full game Thursday, against a better quality opposition

Do we though?

Moore played 2 games at AFL level last year and most all here have written him off. I’m not saying I think he’ll make it but I don’t think it’s fair to say we know all about him when he played 2 games last year that weren’t 12 a side.

Disappointed not to see stocker but given it seems that moore and McDonald are fighting for that spot it’s only fair to play them both.

Fair comment, so leave both Mac and Moore in the side and replace another fringe player with Stocker. Nothing to lose, huge possible benefit

Got a long way to go before he gets anywhere close to Ed.

One is an endurance beast and the other has had his endurance questioned multiple times (even by another club). His core strength for inside work is too not quite there yet. That isn't to say he isn't taking small steps though.

I without a doubt want Stocks to prove he was a risk worth taking, but there doesn't seem to be the amount of talk surrounding his progress so far that warrants him any easy access to the main side.

Seems like he needs a little more time to develop. Especially having missed a lot of time with injury and personal matters in the last couple of seasons.

Got a long way to go before he gets anywhere close to Ed.

One is an endurance beast and the other has had his endurance questioned multiple times (even by another club). His core strength for inside work is too not quite there yet. That isn't to say he isn't taking small steps though.

I without a doubt want Stocks to prove he was a risk worth taking, but there doesn't seem to be the amount of talk surrounding his progress so far that warrants him any easy access to the main side.

Seems like he needs a little more time to develop. Especially having missed a lot of time with injury and personal matters in the last couple of seasons.
I agree, but when he builds his fitness his disposal may become a consideration. He will never be the Warrior Ed is.

I agree, but when he builds his fitness his disposal may become a consideration. He will never be the Warrior Ed is.

I am not denying that he can break into the line-up moving forward. There is obviously a reason however as to why he was given limited game time last week and has been omitted for tomorrow night's match. Compared to most of his teammates, his strengths look to be a little more raw.

I'm not really losing any sleep over him not playing this game (he most likely will be first in line should anyone be a late out). But he has missed an awful lot of match simulation over the past 12 months. I sense this practice match is more to do with preparing the strongest line-up possible for round 1.

Got a feeling DT is holding Stocker back a little bit and really making him earn it. I think he wants Liam to absolutely bash down the door and make it impossible not to pick him, similar to what Bolts did with Harry a few years ago. Nothing wrong with a bit of tough love and I think with Stocker that is the correct approach.

Moore is meh. I do agree we have seen enough. Why not give Parks a run?

I am not denying that he can break into the line-up moving forward. There is obviously a reason however as to why he was given limited game time last week and has been omitted for tomorrow night's match. Compared to most of his teammates, his strengths look to be a little more raw.

I'm not really losing any sleep over him not playing this game (he most likely will be first in line should anyone be a late out). But he has missed an awful lot of match simulation over the past 12 months. I sense this practice match is more to do with preparing the strongest line-up possible for round 1.
The future is in his hands. By all accounts his disposal and aggression is his main weapon. when he gets his opportunity he needs to shine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This concern about Stocker not getting a game is bewildering. I’m just glad he’s back on the park with the boys and in a good head space (according to all reports).

For the 10 minutes he was on last week he looked great. Got the ball, disposed of it well, looked strong in the contest and was wearing a Rambo-style headband. The only person I see him displacing is LOB and frankly LOB, given he’s a year older, has more on the line and more to prove.

Also, if we can get Paddy and LOB firing that will be something else. Especially, LOB’s run and his kick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My starting midfield is the same as everyone elses : Cripps|Walsh|Williams|Ed| Setterfield and then two others on the IC. Dow is favoured for one IC spot - dont know who the other mid rotation might be as oppossed to forward rotation that can play mid - which would be two of Cuningham/Newnes and Gibbons - assuming Teague wants a bench spot for a defender IC as well - Williamson ( assumimg SPS starts on ground).

Stocker is probably in the next batch fighting for a spot against pure midfielders- without the leg speed / endurance to play wing. Which means he will need to beat Dow - who Teague is prepared to play as a HFF as well. Stocker was training off HBF previously - but the defensive structures is now pretty well catered for.

I think he will have to do his time in VFL along with Kennedy/SOJ/LoB etc

My starting midfield is the same as everyone elses : Cripps|Walsh|Williams|Ed| Setterfield and then two others on the IC. Dow is favoured for one IC spot - dont know who the other mid rotation might be as oppossed to forward rotation that can play mid - which would be two of Cuningham/Newnes and Gibbons - assuming Teague wants a bench spot for a defender IC as well - Williamson ( assumimg SPS starts on ground).

Stocker is probably in the next batch fighting for a spot against pure midfielders- without the leg speed / endurance to play wing. Which means he will need to beat Dow - who Teague is prepared to play as a HFF as well. Stocker was training off HBF previously - but the defensive structures is now pretty well catered for.

I think he will have to do his time in VFL along with Kennedy/SOJ/LoB etc

I think Stocker will replace Ed Curnow. When that happens is up to Stocker, Teague, Barker and Ed Curnow. Probably in that order.

No doubt on both counts, but this is a dead rubber of sorts, so why not play him and see what he can do.

No reason he cant get a full game Thursday, against a better quality opposition

Fair comment, so leave both Mac and Moore in the side and replace another fringe player with Stocker. Nothing to lose, huge possible benefit
I can’t help but feel that Dow stole any midfield minutes that would have been thrown around tomorrow night with his performance last week.

To play stocker you’d want to be taking out a mid and the only mids on the bench that probably won’t rotate through other positions are Newnes and LoB. LoB is in the same boat as stocker game time wise and Newnes is deservedly above him in the pecking order at this stage.

Nothing stopping stocker or any on the outside forcing their way in. Seems he will have to do it “off Broadway”.

Not playing Stocker is correct.

If he played would be like last week, limited minutes in his preferred position, clearly they want to get as close to the round 1 side as possible.

On Friday Carlton & St Kilda VFL practice match is on, playing him in that he gets 4 full quarters in the guts, that’s got to be more beneficial than 10-15 min on Thursday Night.

With Covid & leaving the hub he missed out on a lot footy last year, so getting him a full game in the position they see him in going forward is surely the best option

Can’t fault the team selection for tonight’s game. As Teague mentioned, this is a proper hit out in preparation for round 1. We only had 2 practice matches to prepare. So have decided to treat this as a full warm up.

There’s a bunch of players pushing for spots 21 and 22 including Gibbons, Cunners,
newness, JSOS, LOB (although I don’t thinks he’s really in the mix).

Makes sense that Stocker doesn’t get a look in, although I’d love to see him play a solid half, as he’s not quite in best 22 calculations.

The Moore/OMac selection also makes lots of sense. We need to use this game to work out who we go with in RD1 if Levi doesn’t get up. I see their role as primarily being the backup ruck. We also need to work out which one we want as back up if any of our KP players get injured...we have limited cover for all of Weiters, Jones, Harry, Pitto, Levi. If any of these go down in the 1st half of the year we’ll be in big trouble.

In our last encounter the margin was only 3 goals in the end but they did dominate throughout. We never looked like winning. As well as holding Cripps down they also moved geary forward to restrict doc’s influence and he also kicked 2-3 from memory. Im really looking forward to seeing how our midfield and defence hold up this time now that we have Saad and Zac in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back