Analysis The Whipping Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta give the man credit for that!!! (and the fact he was one of the best contested ball winners in the competition ....and possession winners generally... and never dropped his head... and was a smart thinker... but none of those facts will earn him a whip)

This is the nub of it. The best whipping boys - or those preferred by BF - are generally good footballers. But we steadfastly refuse to believe it and ignore what is staring us in the face. Inconvenient facts.

But admittedly sometimes the popular whipping boy is not that good. Not long after I joined BF, Tony Armstrong was whipped from pillar to post. He was crucified, excoriated, an angry mob planned to storm the Holden Centre to demand his delisting (or whatever it was called then). Even playing two games in one day didn’t save him, although some posters were a little kinder to him after that. For a day or two.

I note that Tony now has something of a media career. Good on him. His regular bagging on BF must have been character building.

I rated Ben Johnson throughout the vast majority of his games and for me he was never a whipping boy. Shane O'Bree was a different story. I whipped him from about 50 games into his career and didn't let up. I am actually surprised I took so long to realise he couldn't kick further than about 30 meters, but once I did, my cat of nine tails ensured he played his last games with a torso consisting of only blood and bones.
It's the likes of you that were too slow to notice O'Brees outstanding credentials that robbed him of his 200 whipping boy games.

I noticed them after the first 50 games!
It wasn't soon enough for him to get his 200. He played 246 games all up - 227 for us. What really hurt was that he was an early draft choice for the Lions so slipped under the whips for them and then we slyly got him to nominate for the Preseason Draft, so we were chuffed to get him and that give him some whipping protection for us - for a while. We got him in the end though and really gave him some bloody good welts.

But admittedly sometimes the popular whipping boy is not that good. Not long after I joined BF, Tony Armstrong was whipped from pillar to post. He was crucified, excoriated, an angry mob planned to storm the Holden Centre to demand his delisting (or whatever it was called then). Even playing two games in one day didn’t save him, although some posters were a little kinder to him after that. For a day or two.

There's different rules for draftees than recruits. Those recruited from other clubs arrive tied up on a rack and have to be bloody impressive to not get whipped from the start, so they defy the rules regarding needing to play AFL. We whip them in the VFL too. Jeez the whips must have been frayed and bloody at the end of the day that Armstrong the flayed played twice.

Last edited:
This is the nub of it. The best whipping boys - or those preferred by BF - are generally good footballers. But we steadfastly refuse to believe it and ignore what is staring us in the face. Inconvenient facts.

I note that Tony now has something of a media career. Good on him. His regular bagging on BF must have been character building.

That story brings a tear to my eye. I dont think any of us need to hear any thanks from Tony. We do it because we love the club.

Last edited:
evidently we're keeping 2 spots vacant on our list for

That story brings a tear to my eye. I dont think any of us need to hear any thanks from Tony. We do it because we love the club.

Fond memories Mark?

We are shown up at times. I remember when Ryan Lonie was named bravest footballer by his peers...something like that. It was one of those end of year questionaires for players. I didnt a 30 second search by couldnt find the details. But I do remember it being a savage roast.

I had the same feeling when tex walker was named best captain.... I always wondered about that one..

I just remembered a name ....Mark McGough... what was he? 18? Anzac Day medal. Complete and utter failure. Finished up over here only a couple of years ago as captain of east fremantle.

Fond memories Mark?

It reminds me of the old Fitzy in the tennis. That tennis player we love to bag, bernie tomic, got a few hard pieces of advice from Fitzy and he responded in kind....and so they interviewed Fitzy about it during the tennis and he said "as long as the boy gets the best out of himself"...

and doesnt that just sum us up? We are saints bagging these blokes and dont get a red cent out of it.... if Tony was still in charge, we'd get knighthoods

I just remembered a name ....Mark McGough... what was he? 18? Anzac Day medal. Complete and utter failure. Finished up over here only a couple of years ago as captain of east fremantle.

Very disappointing end to a very promising whipping boy career. Slow and couldn't kick - so he had the tools, and could win the footy, so there was potential for him to get games and be an ideal whipping boy. If only he was a little bit better, he would have hung around for more years and games and we would have had the opportunity to absolutely savage him.

Last edited:
It reminds me of the old Fitzy in the tennis. That tennis player we love to bag, bernie tomic, got a few hard pieces of advice from Fitzy and he responded in kind....and so they interviewed Fitzy about it during the tennis and he said "as long as the boy gets the best out of himself"...

and doesnt that just sum us up? We are saints bagging these blokes and dont get a red cent out of it.... if Tony was still in charge, we'd get knighthoods

I don’t know much about tennis, but I am fond of bagging Tomic. Just because.

I used to bag Nick Kyrgios too, but then he called Djokovic a ‘tool’ and since then I’ve loved Nick. I won’t hear a word against him.

Very disappointing end to a very promising whipping boy career. Slow and couldn't kick - so he had the tools, and could win the footy, so there was potential for him to get games and be an ideal whipping boy. If only he was a little bit better, he would have hung around for more years and games and we would have had the opportunity to absolutely savage him.

The weather gods were terribly unkind to Mcgough. If only it rained more... he’d have played more.... and been bagged out more.....

Poor kid suffered the ultimate humiliation and ended up at StKilda. That is where we send our Whippees. Tony Francis , Damien Monkhorst, and the great Nathan Freeman.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know much about tennis, but I am fond of bagging Tomic. Just because.

I used to bag Nick Kyrgios too, but then he called Djokovic a ‘tool’ and since then I’ve loved Nick. I won’t hear a word against him.

some sportspeople say "please ....whip me".... and that's bernie for ya. Nick was delivering food to BFs in canberra to extract himself ...and then he lands on a goldmine - whipping someone who is more whippable than what you are... It's the ultimate get out of whipping card for free tactic.

i'd love to see Josh thomas and jack madgen organise a press conference so that they can bag callum brown.... an obvious way to improve team culture

some sportspeople say "please ....whip me".... and that's bernie for ya. Nick was delivering food to BFs in canberra to extract himself ...and then he lands on a goldmine - whipping someone who is more whippable than what you are... It's the ultimate get out of whipping card for free tactic.

i'd love to see Josh thomas and jack madgen organise a press conference so that they can bag callum brown.... an obvious way to improve team culture

I liked the hospital pass that Thomas gave to Kelly. It was really nicely done. It could have exposed Thomas to more whipping for a s**t kick and some tried to take it that way, but more importantly it diverted us to canning Kelly for being made of glass - that's the whipping that will endure.

I liked the hospital pass that Thomas gave to Kelly. It was really nicely done. It could have exposed Thomas to more whipping for a sh*t kick and some tried to take it that way, but more importantly it diverted us to canning Kelly for being made of glass - that's the whipping that will endure.

Kelly is a dud... there's some huge amount of irony in him getting Ben Reid's number... What's that hospital that they all go to? That Epworth or something. It seems it's got a Reid-Kelly ward. I think the swans will get more games out of buddy than what we'll get out of kelly for the next couple of years.

i was thinking about all the brothers/sons of star players over the years...clokes, browns, etc. If the fathers played the sons in a game, they would slaughter them. Take em to pieces. The sons team would probably play with 17 men to keep callum on the bench...

We are shown up at times. I remember when Ryan Lonie was named bravest footballer by his peers...something like that. It was one of those end of year questionaires for players. I didnt a 30 second search by couldnt find the details. But I do remember it being a savage roast.

I had the same feeling when tex walker was named best captain.... I always wondered about that one..

Lonie was very soft but gee he could kick the footy better than pretty much everyone on our current list. I remember several long bomb running drop punt goals from the edge of the centre square. Plus we had Rocca, Buckley and Clement all capable of goals from well outside the 50m arc.

We currently lack forwards capable of regularly scoring from long range, which forces our mids to deliver the ball deeper and predictably into a more crowded F50. We need some long-bombers!

Lonie was very soft but gee he could kick the footy better than pretty much everyone on our current list. I remember several long bomb running drop punt goals from the edge of the centre square. Plus we had Rocca, Buckley and Clement all capable of goals from well outside the 50m arc.

We currently lack forwards capable of regularly scoring from long range, which forces our mids to deliver the ball deeper and predictably into a more crowded F50. We need some long-bombers!

It's a league-wide thing. There just seems to be less players capable of consistently kicking from 55+.

Classic ‘horses for courses’.
Was great on a Heavy 8

i'm not sure where you'd go with this. He's pretty well trashed and I just dont see fellow BFer's being motivated into going again.

One bloke who I think really wasted his talent to be whipped was Dane Swan. That gait, the double handed ball drop from the chin, the body shape that made him look a bit overweight. He had it all. He could have been the greatest whipping boy ever if he had have just stuck to 20 possessions a game.
Such a shame he went on to be the best player in the comp otherwise we could have whipped him mercilessly

You missed the point. Our current blokes are a bunch of spuds who can't kick over a jam tin.
well i thought lonie was old news. I suppose as a leading whipping boy from the past, we can use him to humiliate the current crop. it just dawned on me that talking about his silky skills does make you wonder where they dug up the current lot. Maybe we should glorify frankie raso and say how he'd be a star in today's team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back