Analysis The Whipping Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Daicos for mine. Hasn't played a decent game in his career.

Not yet, anointed ones slide under the radar for a fair while, but when the whip drops it cracks hard. So he has the potential to be a hall of fame whipping boy. He may end up having Jarrod Blair or even Jamie Turner like skills in this regard. We could be looking at a 150 game whipping boy career.

Just no.

His 2017 season wasn't even remotely comparable to his 2018 one.

In 2017 he averaged 18.4 touches and less than a goal a game playing predominantly as a winger, in what was his 6th season as an AFL player. Given that we're talking about a pure outside player who is so unaccountable, those numbers are bang average for a non-rookie.

In 2018 he averaged over 13 touches and 1.6 goals predominantly as a flanker. Quality.

In 2019 it was less than 15 touches. A goal a game. Bloody average in either position.

Like others, I thought we were dealing with a very talented player who was going to be a good solid member of the list for a long time. Now that he's going into his 10th AFL season - at 27 years old and after 137 games - I think we're just looking at an (albeit gifted) average player who had one out of the box season.

He's just not very good. However you or anyone could describe that assessment as 'amusing hyperbole' I'll never know.

Very harsh. In 2017 he was a very important player in our transition, had better than 1 R50, 3.5 I50's, just under 300 meters gained, career high tackle numbers, a DE% of just under 75%, a career high 3 ITC's, and still managed just under a goal a game. In 2019 he again started playing further afield and while his possession numbers didn't increase over 2018 he was 2nd only to Howe for marks per game, =7th in the team for scoreboard impact. As I said, not as good as 2017 & 2018, but certainly not as bad as some suggest.

Haha love the OP,

Of those not listed:

Madge: cops his fair whack and must be nudging top 10, looks like a 1970's footballer superimposed onto today's game
Murphy: has his fans but they are starting to turn on him: as a wingman? ...looks a decent opening batsman
Kelly: is one more significant injury away from making his charge - runs around the field like a baby giraffe on the veld
Wilson: may end the popular belief that ordinary basket-ballers make great footballers
Sier: what will come first, lifetime membership or 50 games?

I think you're being overly harsh. I think he's learning his craft as a forward having played most of his junior footy in defence. I'd like him to do more when he hasn't got the footy though.
If learning his craft as a forward is falling over and only kicking a goal when the defender falls over too Hes getting an A+

How have I trashed him? Because I called him average?

That's not insulting, nor is it a personal attack. He is average.

jackcass responded to a post in which I said that he has been "bloody average" other than in one season of his career and called my post "amusing hyperbole". My assessment was hardly outlandish. From your assessment of him being "not very good", it sounds like you agree with it.

I'm definitely in your corner. I think you're being very generous with the "bloody average". I was just a bit nervous that you put together such a logical case to back that assessment up. I just hope it doesnt set a standard. I like to blame WHE for a lot of pie's problems - most notably not winning. I wouldnt like to have to justify myself in the future. Keep up the good work

Not yet, anointed ones slide under the radar for a fair while, but when the whip drops it cracks hard. So he has the potential to be a hall of fame whipping boy. He may end up having Jarrod Blair or even Jamie Turner like skills in this regard. We could be looking at a 150 game whipping boy career.

Totally in agreement with you on this one. Huge potential and it could begin bearing fruit half a dozen games into next year. However, we cant take the easy path and not do the groundwork by building him up to be the greatest player in our history. The lesson with all great whipping boys is the trajectory of the descent. Sure there are useful whippets like Jack Madgen, who everyone has known to be crap since he first pulled on a footy boot. But the best whippets are the ones that let us down by promising so much.

And they dont have to be potential superstars either. As you pointed out, Jarryd Blair was the toast of the VFL devotees and there were pleas that he should get a go in the seniors..... and then his total inability to play the game became evident.

Totally in agreement with you on this one. Huge potential and it could begin bearing fruit half a dozen games into next year. However, we cant take the easy path and not do the groundwork by building him up to be the greatest player in our history. The lesson with all great whipping boys is the trajectory of the descent. Sure there are useful whippets like Jack Madgen, who everyone has known to be crap since he first pulled on a footy boot. But the best whippets are the ones that let us down by promising so much.

And they dont have to be potential superstars either. As you pointed out, Jarryd Blair was the toast of the VFL devotees and there were pleas that he should get a go in the seniors..... and then his total inability to play the game became evident.

I've just done some research and discovered that Ben Johnson is our current whipping boy games record holder. In a 237 game career, he managed a staggering 198 games as a whipping boy before we realised that he was actually pretty good. Shane OBree not too far behind where 189 of his 229 games for us were as a designated whipping boy. The point I'm getting to is that with the build up around this Daicos kid, if he doesn't reach expectations, he's got the potential to be our first ever 200 game whippee.

I've just done some research and discovered that Ben Johnson is our current whipping boy games record holder. In a 237 game career, he managed a staggering 198 games as a whipping boy before we realised that he was actually pretty good. Shane OBree not too far behind where 189 of his 229 games for us were as a designated whipping boy. The point I'm getting to is that with the build up around this Daicos kid, if he doesn't reach expectations, he's got the potential to be our first ever 200 game whippee.

thats a big call... and i'd hate to focus on his downside because I'm really keen to put in the work for the rest of the year so that the collingwood faithful are pounding on the doors of the great wall centre demanding nick play in round 1 next year. I think if we can do that, it will be akin to the titanic slipping down the slip way in belfast....

which reminds me of the irish boys and how i forgot to mention them in past posts. I got threatening emails from some of their mates, burning down my house, normal irish stuff. Anyway, I think they should have a good year. The one that played last year (all irish look the same to me) looked like it was the first time he'd even seen the game, so with that type of progression, I have no doubt that theyre going to get a lot of support.

I think you're being overly harsh. I think he's learning his craft as a forward having played most of his junior footy in defence. I'd like him to do more when he hasn't got the footy though.

i'd like to see him take his phone on the ground and call his mum. He seems to do his best work when he's got that smile on his face...

I rated Ben Johnson throughout the vast majority of his games and for me he was never a whipping boy. Shane O'Bree was a different story. I whipped him from about 50 games into his career and didn't let up. I am actually surprised I took so long to realise he couldn't kick further than about 30 meters, but once I did, my cat of nine tails ensured he played his last games with a torso consisting of only blood and bones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rated Ben Johnson throughout the vast majority of his games and for me he was never a whipping boy. Shane O'Bree was a different story. I whipped him from about 50 games into his career and didn't let up. I am actually surprised I took so long to realise he couldn't kick further than about 30 meters, but once I did, my cat of nine tails ensured he played his last games with a torso consisting of only blood and bones.
Callum Brown has been cloned as a Shane O`bree. exactly the same maximum kicking distance 35 metres , but OB did get a bit of it, knew his limitations

OBree might have been a poor kick... but his unique quality is that he was equally incompetent on both sides of the body!!!! I've never seen somebody so poorly skilled at kicking that he didnt care if he was forced onto his left. Gotta give the man credit for that!!! (and the fact he was one of the best contested ball winners in the competition ....and possession winners generally... and never dropped his head... and was a smart thinker... but none of those facts will earn him a whip)

OBree might have been a poor kick... but his unique quality is that he was equally incompetent on both sides of the body!!!! I've never seen somebody so poorly skilled at kicking that he didnt care if he was forced onto his left. Gotta give the man credit for that!!! (and the fact he was one of the best contested ball winners in the competition ....and possession winners generally... and never dropped his head... and was a smart thinker... but none of those facts will earn him a whip)
Must say,now that you mentioned it , OBree was a better kick on his non preferred left foot. weird ha

I recall that he was meant to be dual-sided, but this translated in reality as no-sided.

Ryan Lonie

Loved him gets drafted in this day and age would dominated Half Back.

Came through the era where Brisbane bullied blokes and if you were not tough you couldn't play.

Callum Brown has been cloned as a Shane O`bree. exactly the same maximum kicking distance 35 metres , but OB did get a bit of it, knew his limitations
O’Bree was good until about 09. When he came at the start of 2000 something changed at the club. Mick came and we started to compete. O’Bree was massive in 2002 part of the reason we nearly punched a flag that season. His endurance was similar to Tom Philips. Speaking of Philips it looks like he’s going to kill it for hawthorn

This is a thread dedicated to the players who cop the most heat from the Collingwood Big Footy fans. I thought it might be fun to offer your top ten. Who knows? This thread could become a place for us to vent our little hearts out. After our two devastating practice match loses, there are plenty of candidates. Here's mine, feel free to add yours:

1. Callum Brown - has really come on in leaps and bounds. Once much loved by the BF army, now seen as incapable of even basic human functions.
2. Josh Thomas - regularly targeted since the whole drug thing. Can play well without being noticed.
3. Brody Grundy - champion player who now suffers from the Cloke syndrome. Everything measured against the contract. Could win the next five Copelands and would still be in the top 10.
4. WHE - the hyphen cops plenty. Seen as soft.
5. Steele Sidebottom - another champion who has fallen on hard times. One too many scotches has led to him being on the outer amongst the progressive thinking BF army.
6. Chris Mayne - big slide from Mayne, previously our number one by a mile. Lift your game Chris!
7. Roughhead - solid season last year but generally seen as a hack
8. Brayden Sier - Phil has swayed between the great hope and the great flop. Potential to increase in the ratings.
9. John Noble - just doesn't look like a good footballer. Gets the hack tag.
10. Mason Cox - well he is American.
I’m liking Sidebottoms chances for a high finish this year. Top 3 probably. Always had his detractors and probably at the stage of his career where decline starts.

Brown I think you’re overrating because he just won’t get that much game time. Will sneak into the top 10 late in the season as we start picking up injuries.

As a smoky who you haven’t nominated, I’m going Daicos. Now has the BF sponsorship curse, weight of expectations and could struggle a bit (relatively speaking) as he is likely to draw more opposition attention. Picking him for a top 5 finish

One bloke who I think really wasted his talent to be whipped was Dane Swan. That gait, the double handed ball drop from the chin, the body shape that made him look a bit overweight. He had it all. He could have been the greatest whipping boy ever if he had have just stuck to 20 possessions a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back