Recommitted Fischer McAsey - signed contract extension until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

McAsey sounds bit of a sook to if he wants to go home after only 2 years.
If I am the Crows I would demand a top 10 pick for him (what they paid for him) or just let him walk into the PSD

The Crows need to grow a pair now and make a strong stance here.
Crows can demand what they won't but they won't get it.

Not sure why they would shoot themselves in the foot by making him walk to the PSD

I Am sure there is some bad blood between The Crows and Saints after The Crouch fiasco.

If I am Adelaide I would simply refuse to even discuss negotiations with St Kilda as a matter of principal.

In an ideal world, Collingwood and Hawthorn should be interested, they seem like much fairer and reasonable to deal with than say The Bulldogs or St Kilda (of late)
Haha, what?

Why would Crows refuse to work with the Saints? Because they landed one of their players via FA?

If that was the case we'd have no clubs working with each other.

Strange comment

I Am sure there is some bad blood between The Crows and Saints after The Crouch fiasco.

If I am Adelaide I would simply refuse to even discuss negotiations with St Kilda as a matter of principal.

In an ideal world, Collingwood and Hawthorn should be interested, they seem like much fairer and reasonable to deal with than say The Bulldogs or St Kilda (of late)
Why bad blood with the Saints? Bloke was a fa and accepted their offer.

Crows can demand what they won't but they won't get it.

Not sure why they would shoot themselves in the foot by making him walk to the PSD

Giving they will likely have pick 1 in the PSD, they can simply say they will re-draft him if a club that he nominates is not will to pony up with adequate compensation.

There is nothing in the rules that says they cannot do that. They hold the upper hand in any potential trade. And I encourage them strongly to call use that Ace in the deck to perhaps get any Vic club desperate to get him to maybe pay 'overs'

Giving they will likely have pick 1 in the PSD, they can simply say they will re-draft him if a club that he nominates is not will to pony up with adequate compensation.

There is nothing in the rules that says they cannot do that. They hold the upper hand in any potential trade. And I encourage them strongly to call use that Ace in the deck to perhaps get any Vic club desperate to get him to maybe pay 'overs'
Everyone will know they have no intention of redrafting him. I also don’t expect Adelaide to be bottom.

Why bad blood with the Saints? Bloke was a fa and accepted their offer.

No the story goes that the Saints and Crows had a gentleman's agreement that St Kilda would offer Crouch a structured deal that would net the Crows Band 1 compo, but the Saints regened on that promise .

Of course Adelaide cannot publicly comment in that, but that is actually what happened.

Yeah I think it's a real problem at the moment. There's the odd occasion where it balances out, but on the whole, non-Victorian clubs are getting stitched up with players walking out after two years to the club of their choice. Whether it's four year contracts, or some other form of regulation, I think it's an area that needs some changes.
Three year contracts for first round picks seem fairer for non-Victorian clubs.

No the story goes that the Saints and Crows had a gentleman's agreement that St Kilda would offer Crouch a structured deal that would net the Crows Band 1 compo, but the Saints regened on that promise .

Of course Adelaide cannot publicly comment in that, but that is actually what happened.
There was a lot of fantasy stuff said by crows fans at the time this being one of them. They were desperate to cling to the hope they would get band 1 compo. I’d put money on that never happened.

4fd6b288e420f400d8633d40a4b9ad98.gif

Yes, I'm sure that happened....especially when from day one Saints said their terms on the contact and if matched 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am sure it has been said on this thread but players should only be allowed to nominate a state they want to go to, not specific clubs.
I agree for players on their initial contract. If someone is out of contract further into their career, they should be allowed to nominate a club. In McAsey's case, he should only be allowed to pick Victoria, whereas someone like Tom Doedee (OOC 2021) should be allowed to pick the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree for players on their initial contract. If someone is out of contract further into their career, they should be allowed to nominate a club. In McAsey's case, he should only be allowed to pick Victoria, whereas someone like Tom Doedee (OOC 2021) should be allowed to pick the club

I would be fine with that compromise. Perhaps at age 24 or 25 they are allowed to nominate a specific club, but before then they can only nominate a state.

Okay Saints and Dogs fans (who seem to be the most interested Vic club supporters) what would you guys consider a fair and equitable offer to a very raw but talented KPD who has just turned 20, and was pick 6 in his draft year ?

I do not believe a pick in the 20s is going to cut it either . I am curious as to see what kind of offer you think your club can offer up to satisfy the Crows ?

I would be fine with that compromise. Perhaps at age 24 or 25 they are allowed to nominate a specific club, but before then they can only nominate a state.
I'd even base it on a years of service type deal. It always bothered me that Tim Kelly, who was so desperate to get to WA for family reasons, insisted on West Coast over Fremantle. He was 25 at the time of his trade.

Either way, it's pretty clear something needs to be done to address the issue of "homesick" trades. It seems to be a problem overwhelmingly affecting Victorian draftees who go interstate, and more often than not they request trades to larger Vic clubs. Helps with overall equalisation if a club like North has just as much chance at these kids as an Essendon/Collingwood/Hawthorn.

Okay Saints and Dogs fans (who seem to be the most interested Vic club supporters) what would you guys consider a fair and equitable offer to a very raw but talented KPD who has just turned 20, and was pick 6 in his draft year ?

I do not believe a pick in the 20s is going to cut it either . I am curious as to see what kind of offer you think your club can offer up to satisfy the Crows ?
I was really keen on McAsey in his draft year (thought he had potential to be another Naughton-quality swingman) but he's shown nothing so far at AFL level. A lot can change in a year though, and if he shows anything close to the level he demonstrated in U18s, then I might be a lot more content with seeing us use a 1st.

As it stands, I wouldn't be happy with offering anything more than what we paid for Schache (Pick 25 + Pick 40). Unless he shows a lot more this year, I don't think a first round pick should at all be involved in discussions. If we're attempting something close to fair/equitable, then nothing more than Pick 20 should be involved tbh.

Caleb Marchbank a fair comparison?

GWS didnt get a great deal for him. Geelongs 2017 first + p45 + p58 for Marchbank, Pickett, GWS 2017 Second.

Both didnt play much in there first season and second season (McAsey doesn't look like a regular yet) and positions in 2016 at GWS were far more difficult to crack than Adelaide in 2021.

McAsey's value would be p20-24 right now IMO.

I'd even base it on a years of service type deal. It always bothered me that Tim Kelly, who was so desperate to get to WA for family reasons, insisted on West Coast over Fremantle. He was 25 at the time of his trade.

Either way, it's pretty clear something needs to be done to address the issue of "homesick" trades. It seems to be a problem overwhelmingly affecting Victorian draftees who go interstate, and more often than not they request trades to larger Vic clubs. Helps with overall equalisation if a club like North has just as much chance at these kids as an Essendon/Collingwood/Hawthorn.

You make a good point about years of service being a better metric as I forgot about muture age recruits.

I think the problem with Victorian players wanting to go back to Victoria compared to players from other states is the Victorian kids growing up in the system know that there is a 56% chance that they are going to be drafted by a Victorian club, so these teenagers never mentally prepare for going to another state, they in the back of their mind assume that they are going to be picked up by a Victorian club. However, when they are not picked up by a Victorian club, they are basically blindsided, them not having mentally prepared at all for leaving home, and not happy when it suddenly happens.

Compare that to a South Australian teen who is expecting to be drafted into the AFL. He grows up knowing that there is only a 11% chance he is staying in South Australia, so for years he has been mentally preparing for going to another state, so when it happens it is not a shock to him.

It is impossible to say right now as it really depends on what happens over the season.

If things continue the way they are and he plays most of the season through the VFL in a bottom side I can't see how the Crows can push for anything more than an early 2nd at best.

If he can make his way back into the side and play some promising footy than it likely becomes a pick around 10-20 somewhere.

Three year contracts for first round picks seem fairer for non-Victorian clubs.
...as long as they aren't on $180,000 in the third year after playing all their career thus far like they were in year one and year two.

That could cost them $350,000.

I think the fairest way is for the draftees to nominate whether they want to sign a two, three, four or five year deal with a staggering of rewards on that.
Year 1 - $100,000 base plus match payments and games played bonus
Year 2 - $100,000 base plus match payments and games played bonus
Year 3 - $300,000 base plus match payments and games played bonus
Year 4 - $400,000 base plus match payments and games played bonus
Year 5 - $600,000

Then the club can see what the player is committing to signing before the draft and choose the commitment it wants to make to that player as it drafts them.

If a Victorian nominated for the draft and the first ten picks of the draft are all interstate clubs and he doesn't want to work away from his current life, then he just nominates the two year standard. If a Victorian has a mum who he wants to get away from and is happy to work outside of Victoria then he might nominate the full five year option, a club like Gold Coast might see that added security as being worth a few extra draft picks up the order and take him.

It is too early to say, what he does this year will dictate what his value is.

If he looks average all year again why should he be worth anything close to a top 10 pick.

Yes key position players take longer to develop but you can normally see signs early that they have what it takes. He definitely needs to show something this year.

Expecting a bit of karma in this one given how they handled the Hatley scenario.

If we finish below the Crows, he's going to walk to the PSD.
Beat me to it. Really hope he walks to North. That Hately move really irks me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back