Review Round 2, 2021 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the first two weeks we’re making finals, but will be lucky to make the Prelims and certainly aren’t Grand final/ premiership material yet. We continue to lack the killer instinct.
Richmond is a given they will be there but Geelong and Brisbane have been poor and saints lost to the dees. Based on the first two weeks who is premiership material Richmond the dogs?

I walked from the oval after the game and although pleased with the win I was only vaguely satisfied.
I know that I’m getting older and little more grumpier but I really think that this Covid 19 thing is starting to get to me.
After season 2019 we decided to shift from the eastern wing - no shade or cover from the rain and you pay top dollar for that privilege - so in 2020 we went for the Western stand with no reserved seats and that worked out well. At the start of this season we got seats with some cover only to be told later, no way Jose you got to shift. The new seat allocation are OK.
So all of the above sort of gets to you and could be reason that I am only “vaguely satisfied” with the result.
The team is functioning very well sometimes and then an uncontested fumble will ruin the teams momentum and this seems to happen more often that not. This was in my opinion what was happening yesterday, all too frequently.
Yes, it’s early days and with longer quarters - adding over 20 minute extra time - we are scoring more but so are the opposition, so saying our backs aren’t functioning well is not correct.
Yes, we did the job yesterday and basically gave the bombers a touch up but I still walked away only “vaguely satisfied”
I walked away feeling "vaguely pleased" because we won a danger game. I guess it a matter of mind set!

They will both struggle against the better KPFs. I don’t think Pasini will make it, & we need an effective back up if AA goes down.
McKenzie I actually rate higher than Clurey.

On Kane Farrell this is going to sound rough but i dont care how "skilled" you are, we cant have passangers in a 22/23 team gunning for a flag.

Even then his main attribute kicking, i dont think i saw him pinpoint and hit a forward on the tit as well as a houston or amon. He usually doesnt play fast goes behind his mark give time for the oppo to head down and as a result bomb it high hoping a tall will mark it.

He has the same sort of build to fantasia/butters but doesnt have the same eagerness or ferocity at the contest. Lacks awarness and just gets outbodied time and time again.

What an exciting start to the season. Never looked like we weren’t going to win this.

most of our competition is floundering across the league, port is the form team two games in.

There’s a lot of focus on our traded recruited but some of our players have gone to another level this season and that is what is propelling our form I reckon.

butters - unreal performance. So much impact. Others have touched on what he does.

wines - I said elsewhere that if there wasn’t less stoppages this season he would win the Brownlow. Is in brilliant form. Was unreal to watch him running alongside motlop on the wing, and that kick. Has transformed himself. This is the player I saw dominate champs. 38d. This is the wines we wanted.

Houston - Houston’s form this season has been amazing. Best player in his position right now in the league. 2nd best on ground 2 games in a row imo

duursma - found more of it which was good. Hard and competitive. Still have been hoping to see more from duursma this season but hard to fault him.

lycett - huge game. Absolutely dominated Draper. One of the all time smashings. One of our best.

boak - stunning game. Still seems to be at his peak. Just controls the midfield. I blasted the main board at the start of the season cause none of them had him close to one of the top ten mids in the league. On form right now he’s in the top couple of mids in the league. he deserves to leave the game with a Brownlow or premiership. He’s too good not to.

motlop - continued good form. There was that bad kick but his workrate was still high.

Georgiades- stunning game. Really impacts contests. The frightening thing is he barely has an engine right now. He faded as the game went on. Scary what he could do when he’s actually physically ready.

Fantasia - snagging goals. Missed some but could forgive that.

Amon - another good game. Waiting to see the form he showed in preseason though. Kick is such a weapon and his speed out of clearances is a point of difference we need

Dixon - typical Dixon game where he fights really hard for ages to get a result. Must work harder than any forward in the afl for his goals. Enjoying his game.

hartlett - typical Hartlett, very good moments and some shocking moments.

Ladhams - in and out of the game. Patchy. Like last week came into it more late when we gave him more ruck time. Had one brilliant tap to advantage which was good to see

Alir - quality game. Very good to have his height back there. Loves to sit in the hole.

Drew - great to see drew find more of it. Growing each game.

Dbj - usual Dbj

Burton - didn’t notice him a lot but typical safe burton game

Bergman - horrible, absolutely horrible start. Seemed to be further up the ground? Later on he seemed to be back more and his performance was way better. Needs to be played in that defensive sweeper position for a bit longer I reckon. Attacked the aerial ball, and really loves to take off and run.

Jonas and clurey - barely noticed them. I don’t need to. Just safe as houses.

gray - quiet week.

Farrell - competed well without standing out.

Where's Northalives to say "Butters was weak"
You are a joke. Aliir Aliir was weak last week. Why the f**k talk about Butters and why the f**k can't you precious innocents see beyond your cultish ignorance.

Aliir was better yeaterday - at least he looked like he meant it. Last week he f***ed around. If he f**ks around against West Coast next week, he could cost us big time. You can bet your balls Butters won't be weak.

The only thing weaker than Aliir's performance against North Melbourne is the acceptance by some Port supporters of half hearted performances - now that is weak.

I thought Aliir was pretty average tbh. Beaten in every one on one and gave away a few dumb frees in front of goal. Wasn't his best outing.
But he was a bit harder this week, don't you reckon? He looked a bit more dinkum, not as dinkum as he should but a he tried a little harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really noticable when the ball goes into our defensive 50 and Aliir isn't on the scene. As they did last year, our other defenders look extremely vulnerable to giving away marks and frees at all times. When Aliir is in a position to impact the contest, it rarely turns out badly.
With all due respect, you've been looking through rose coloured glasses. What Aliir does when he's on the ground is that oppositions try and keep it away from him which means they try and hit others because he is an imposing physical presence, however, in contests, he has not done anywhere near enough to impact the contest. Yesterday, he did effect some spoils but in "busy" situations, he may as well not be there; he behaves like he's an "outside" player and given his size and athleticism, he'd be far better for the team if he imposed himself.

People should look a bit closer and not just marvel at how good he is when in possession because he rarely misses a target but that's not all there is to football and the position he is playing. He must be willing to take front spot in the role he is playing and be willing to be steamrolled on occasions by the pack behind him. That's what a player playing that roaming/clogging position must do and Aliir has not done that. He has been timid.

The extent to which Boak went down on his performance last week is about the same extent to which Butters and Wines went up. Boak did less because we needed him for less. There are only a finite amount of stats for the taking in any given game.
Corkies aren't easily shaken either and they do hinder a player. Boak was good again I reckon.

Why are you so obsessed with Aliir? In both his games so far he's been serviceable. Not fantastic but played his role.

And even if he wasn't up to scratch its no reason to get vitriolic to the extent that you have.

Why are you so obsessed with Aliir? In both his games so far he's been serviceable. Not fantastic but played his role.

And even if he wasn't up to scratch its no reason to get vitriolic to the extent that you have.
Nah, I'm not obsessed with Aliir - he is just another Port Adelaide player who gets a wrap when he plays well and a bollocking when he doesn't.

It's dick heads who obsess about having one of their darlings given a caning for not playing well and then introducing Zak Butters into the conversation that are obsessed with Aliir Aliir and they take every opportunity to take a swipe at anyone who dares to criticise.

You are a joke. Aliir Aliir was weak last week. Why the f**k talk about Butters and why the f**k can't you precious innocents see beyond your cultish ignorance.

Aliir was better yeaterday - at least he looked like he meant it. Last week he f***ed around. If he f**ks around against West Coast next week, he could cost us big time. You can bet your balls Butters won't be weak.

The only thing weaker than Aliir's performance against North Melbourne is the acceptance by some Port supporters of half hearted performances - now that is weak.
giphy (4).gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back