Society/Culture School principal makes boys apologize for............being born male.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do schools need to address social issues, just concentrate on the basics of Maths, English, Science, History etc, leave the moral/social issues to parents, their wider family and community.

.....................because sociology has permeated education.

Nothing compared to the non academic learning pushes by private Christian schools in Australia.

Here’s a mission statement from a private school in WA that forced a 7 year old student with a gay father to leave the school:

Christian education invites young people to see and understand the world through the perspective of God’s truth. The Bible becomes the lens in which students view what they are learning. The lens focusses their thinking on ultimate truth–a biblical vision for life where the world is created and sustained by God; where God has acted in history to deal with the distortions of creation caused by human rebellion; and where history is advancing towards a new creation in which all things are reconciled to God through Jesus who is not only the climax of the biblical story but is also the focal point of the lens.

It's poignant that you compare this bullshit with religion, because they are both sides of the same coin.

Why do schools need to address social issues, just concentrate on the basics of Maths, English, Science, History etc, leave the moral/social issues to parents, their wider family and community.
Some parents don't parent their kids. Unfortunate, but true. Teachers are left with the responsibility of being defacto parents and counselors in some cases.

You can't have a healthy workplace culture without expecting common values and tolerance towards others, so I don't see why it would be any different in schools.

Some parents don't parent their kids. Unfortunate, but true. Teachers are left with the responsibility of being defacto parents and counselors in some cases.

You can't have a healthy workplace culture without expecting common values and tolerance towards others, so I don't see why it would be any different in schools.

If teaching kids to apologise for the sins of their entire gender is parenting, then they're better off without teachers also.

Making one error of judgement is not a sackable offence. She made the boys stand up at assembly.

Principal Jane Boyle in a statement said in hindsight, the gesture was "inappropriate".

"Boys were asked to stand as a symbolic gesture of apology for the behaviours of their gender that have hurt or offended girls and women," she said.
"In retrospect, while well-intended, we recognise that this part of the assembly was inappropriate.

"Today, the school is contacting parents to explain the reasons behind the assembly and to ensure that any student who requires support is aware that it is available."

Ms Shepherd said she did not believe the school had any "malice" intentions, but they had got it "wrong" on this occasion.

"It wasn't a very thought-out process, I don't think, by the school," she said.

"I understand what they were trying to promote, they've just completely gone about it the wrong way."

I agree. But its not a sackable offence. Clear enough for you?
I really think it’s symbolic and literally that schools on the whole don’t consider the well being of developing boys.

The reality is that male education performance has been declining for years.

School principals like her never considered the impact they have on the boys.

Should she be sacked on the bases of a bad decision? No

Should she be sacked on the bases that she has an agenda and lacks empathy for half her students? Yes

If the issue isn't systemic, give the principal a slap on the wrist and an opportunity to learn from their mistake. They'll probably make a public apology in front of the students to make amends.

I'd be surprised if any boys have permanent psychological damage out of this.
Once off incident sure I agree that it wouldn’t permanently do damage.

A serial and continued message that males in nature are toxic and are unsafe, then yes it does have a permanent damage.

Personally for years I hated myself because of the actions or inactions of my father combined this man hating messaging.

If we want violence against women to reduce, I thought it would be better to have confident, resilient and healthy male population.

I dunno - what measure are you using? Anyway, given how bad it still is it must have been utterly unbearable in the past.
The inability to see the social progress we’ve made is a massive problem in the current culture wars. It’s so unhelpful.

That’s not to say we’re anywhere near finished though.

But you’d have to be absolutely dumb, or deliberately ignorant, to think we haven’t progressed or gone backwards in the last half decade.

Last edited:

Purely anecdotal but I think the percentage of children that would need teachers to be their moral compass would be extremely small.... although I admit my own children and my grandchildren have had lots of parental involvement/guidance and attended very good schools, the multitude of friends of theirs(and their parents I have met) seem fine as well.

Children (particularly primary school aged) live in the moment and want to hang with their friends and have fun, they are by and large empathetic and tolerant, they don't at all contemplate their place in the world and what is expected of them re social mores of society.

True, what made them ever think it was a well meaning idea in the first place?

I feel like they wanted to do more than the next school to stand out, they're taking real action etc. And the idea probably came from the top, so when (if) a discussion happened about the idea no one was game to speak up.

Also I heard that a 15 or 16 year old student refused to stand, that's courageous for sure. Apparently he got a talking to afterwards by the principal, I wonder what was said?

I feel like they wanted to do more than the next school to stand out, they're taking real action etc. And the idea probably came from the top, so when (if) a discussion happened about the idea no one was game to speak up.

In other words.......................virtue signalling.

Also I heard that a 15 or 16 year old student refused to stand, that's courageous for sure. Apparently he got a talking to afterwards by the principal, I wonder what was said?

He'll end up being the smartest kid in that class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other words.......................virtue signalling.

Yeah I would say so, I mean they're trying to look more attractive to parents of potential students i'd say, but nearly every dad and most mums are probably against this.

He'll end up being the smartest kid in that class.

I hope no one convinces him to go on ACA or something though.

The inability to see the social progress we’ve made is a massive problem in the current culture wars.
Can you give us some examples? From my point of view it’s a culture warrior habit to claim all is well and pointing out issues is just hysteria or unpatriotic.

Can you give us some examples? From my point of view it’s a culture warrior habit to claim all is well and pointing out issues is just hysteria or unpatriotic.

Are you serious?

Do you have any perspective of the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's whatsoever?

Gandhi? Luther-King? Greer? Paglia? Whitlam? The REAL gay rights movement?

You don’t have to go far to find them.
I’d say gay rights and civil rights progress are an easy launching point. Welfare is another one. Health is another one.

Steven Pinker’s work on the reduction of violence and poverty is more substantial if you’re looking for
something academic.

BTW I didn’t claim all is well. I said the work is far from done. I’m not sure where the unpatriotic bit came from.

My point is that it’s really unhelpful, and objectively untrue, to say that things are worse today than in the past. That’s not for everyone, but for the majority of people. The vast majority if you want to be superlative.

You don’t have to go far to find them.
I’d say gay rights and civil rights progress are an easy launching point. Welfare is another one. Health is another one.

Steven Pinker’s work on the reduction of violence and poverty is more substantial if you’re looking for
something academic.

BTW I didn’t claim all is well. I said the work is far from done. My point is that it’s really unhelpful, and objectively untrue, to say that things are worse today than in the past. That’s not for everyone, but for the vast majority of people.

The contemporary issue is about what is really relevant, due to the rise in professional victim academics & professionals.

What were once great movements have morphed in to professional industries.

OK.

Maybe you're not a true blue, dinky di culture warrior.

I'm actually a liberal, and I am not referring to the contemporary distortion of the word, as liberals cannot fundamentally be statist or totalitarian as many of them are now.

Is that not the subtext of your original post that I replied to (#156)?
" given how bad it still is it must have been utterly unbearable in the past. "

No I wasn't saying nothing has changed. I was saying that there is still a long way to go.

For example:

" Older women are the fastest-growing cohort of homeless people in Australia today. "

Remove this Banner Ad

Back