Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Powell, Phillips, Lazarro, Boner, Thomas, Taylor, Larkey, McKay, Scott, Young, Bosenavulagi, Mahony and Hayden have all played under 35 games, have all spent only one, two or three years in the AFL system (McKay four) and most have played under their second or third AFL in 18 months, so there will be a little disconnect as they learn another game plan. And while another loss is disappointing, again we showed glimpses of what will be the future of the NMFC in years to come, and when our younger players have an extra year or two in a stabile system and can better implement the game plan, we will be an exciting to team to watch.

In the meantime, there will be mistakes, some costly and embarrassing, it would be nice if people showed a little bit of patience and compassion towards the youngsters instead of calling for their heads.

Don't want to write him off so early, but I'm just not seeing it with Mahony yet. Could be proven wrong in time of course, but eh.

Good games from Bonar, Stevo, Atu, Powell and McKay. Avoided a potential disaster, another game into the kids. On to Perth.

Young looks highly promising to me, a few turnovers true but id expect those to tidy up over time. Hall has been awesome recently, he's straight back in when ready. Could easily have a few more years left in him the way he's tracking.
I'm with you, as much as Young frustrates me, his issues are mainly around decision making, so as long as he is learning and improving in that department I am happy and Hall has been good, and we do need some experience out there. Walker is out though as soon as Corr is ready to come back.

Don't want to write him off so early, but I'm just not seeing with Mahony. Could be proven wrong, but eh.

Good games from Bonar, Stevo, Atu, Powell and McKay. Avoided a potential disaster, another game into the kids. On to Perth.
And look he might be solid depth moving into the future. He might relish having other big bodies to help out when/if others return. He is definitely not in the discard pile. He’s 100% list worthy.

Mahony and Atley’s misses were diabolically momentum-killing.

We need to clone Cunners or at least ask Mrs Cunners for permission for him to artificially inseminate 6 or 7 willing recipients to produce an array of father sons/daughters.
Cunners was getting periodically dropped back to the two's in his second year, it virtually took him three seasons to anchor a spot in the ones. Same with the likes of Stevens, Schwass etc.
All that good work undone by the first gamer Atley.
Things will get better and better in a year or so, there will be more personnel changes for sure.

Nah fu** that, thats footy. Its unfortunate and I feel for Hall because he has made me eat my words this year, he’s been playing good footy. However, that was not malicious by Duncan. Doesnt deserve even a citing, neither did cunners from last week. However, downfield free kick, definitely. Yep. 100%
I didn't like the look of him turning his back to Hall, perhaps he was protecting himself, but it meant he wasn't watching where he was going and therefore couldn't evade. It was accidental and late enough that Hall was back on the ground when struck, so I think he should be looked at, and given a fine or perhaps a week seeing as Hall will be missing a game.

Young looks highly promising to me, a few turnovers true but id expect those to tidy up over time. Hall has been awesome recently, he's straight back in when ready. Could easily have a few more years left in him the way he's tracking.

Agree. Hall gets judged by some posters on here by different standards. The same poster has also said we should delist him at the end of the year just days after he was BOG against the Crows. He has had 8 possessions and a goal from 23% of game time this week so was on track to be in the best few again this week and he calls for him not to play another game this year. Evidence would suggest the poster is full of s**t.

Why wasn’t the Hall incident a free kick down the ground?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In real time - looked more of a collision, umps don't have the benefit of multiple replays at slow mo, AND the ump was probably eyes elsewhere (watching the ball to see if it was a goal to call all clear if necessary).
People want to throw out whinges about bias but pretty easy one to miss I'd think. A free missed that was there yes, was it an easily obvious one, no, not if you were in the umps spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't like the look of him turning his back to Hall, perhaps he was protecting himself, but it meant he wasn't watching where he was going and therefore couldn't evade. It was accidental and late enough that Hall was back on the ground when struck, so I think he should be looked at, and given a fine or perhaps a week seeing as Hall will be missing a game.

You're allowed to try smother the ball. The contact was late but the intent was not to bump or make contact, he had almost landed himself ffs.

Flip it around, if any North player got cited for that you and everyone else here would be fuming.

In real time - looked more of a collision, umps don't have the benefit of multiple replays at slow mo, AND the ump was probably eyes elsewhere (watching the ball to see if it was a goal to call all clear if necessary).
People want to throw out whinges about bias but pretty easy one to miss I'd think. A free missed that was there yes, was it an easily obvious one, no, not if you were in the umps spot.
Disagree - they frequently pay much softer ones than that every week. Bad umpiring to miss that.

hyperbolae much ? Ludicrous assertion.
Kept Hawkins to one goal.

Goes when he needs to, stands his ground in a contest, doesn't panic, can spoil a lead, strong, can take the heat... should I go on?

The bloke is a nightmare already for big forwards and he is still young.

Edit: I did say he was quickly becoming a potential best we've seen. Never said he is right now. But at the moment, he is on fire.

I'm with you, as much as Young frustrates me, his issues are mainly around decision making, so as long as he is learning and improving in that department I am happy and Hall has been good, and we do need some experience out there. Walker is out though as soon as Corr is ready to come back.

Yep its mostly decision making, even his turnovers arent from a completely butchered kicks. Has pace, appears adaptable to smaller types (perhaps not the super speedster types) or 2nd/3rd talls, good over head, will take on play and technically sound skills. We have a player here imo.

Powell, Phillips, Lazarro, Boner, Thomas, Taylor, Larkey, McKay, Scott, Young, Bosenavulagi, Mahony and Hayden have all played under 35 games, have all spent only one, two or three years in the AFL system (McKay four) and most have played under their second or third AFL in 18 months, so there will be a little disconnect as they learn another game plan. And while another loss is disappointing, again we showed glimpses of what will be the future of the NMFC in years to come, and when our younger players have an extra year or two in a stabile system and can better implement the game plan, we will be an exciting to team to watch.

In the meantime, there will be mistakes, some costly and embarrassing, it would be nice if people showed a little bit of patience and compassion towards the youngsters instead of calling for their heads.

I concur, Cunners was getting periodically dropped back to the two's in his second year, it virtually took him three seasons to anchor a spot in the ones. Same with the likes of Stevens, Schwass etc.

You're allowed to try smother the ball. The contact was late but the intent was not to bump or make contact, he had almost landed himself ffs.

Flip it around, if any North player got cited for that you and everyone else here would be fuming.
The intent may not have been there, but the contact to head was, and n this day and age, it should be reviewed and a punishment, if required, metered out.

Positives:
This board coming around on a few players - Scott and Hayden are not up to it, they have areas of good work but they need time in the VFL. They aren't first years either.
-Mahony is useless, is obviously useless, and we have stopped the barrage of "but he did 2 nice handballs, and he's young"

Defence has something to work with

Negatives:
We have at least half a dozen guys who don't impact enough at senior level and need to develop (Lazzaro, Phillips, Hayden, Scott) or play out their days (Mahony, Walker, Campbell) in the 2s.

Josh Walker

Aaron Hall injured - but to be honest he's only a "for a month" player max so...

Poor depth meaning we can't really bring in much to replace the 7 who just aren't up to it right now

Don't want to write him off so early, but I'm just not seeing it with Mahony yet. Could be proven wrong in time of course, but eh.

Bonar a huge plus so far, exceeding my expectations. Looked all at sea in guts but down back he's a different player.

There was an ump 20 metres away looking directly at it

The intent may not have been there, but the contact to head was, and n this day and age, it should be reviewed and a punishment, if required, metered out.

And I'm saying a punishment is not required, no if, because you're still a) allowed to smother the ball and b) it's a contact sport.

The AFL has never said anything to the contrary. Duncan did not choose to bump, he did not choose to make contact - that's the key difference.

Of course if you choose to make contact when you had another option and you hit the head it'll be reviewed.
This was more two players in play and neither intended to make contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back