Injury 2021 Injury Updates Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s because they used the medical sub when they took him off.

That's not the rule. The morons at AFL house couldn't grasp that concept.

I did hear some discussion about the situation where the medical sub was used for something other than concussion and they suggested they might need to get the injury assessed by an AFL doc if they came straight back in the next week. But the whole thing is a bit of a dog's breakfast, so I didn't know what they ended up doing.

I did hear some discussion about the situation where the medical sub was used for something other than concussion and they suggested they might need to get the injury assessed by an AFL doc if they came straight back in the next week. But the whole thing is a bit of a dog's breakfast, so I didn't know what they ended up doing.

Not sure anything came of that. We've already had examples of several players playing the next week having been subbed off.

Not sure anything came of that. We've already had examples of several players playing the next week having been subbed off.
Yeah, I was thinking that as I wrote that. So it's gone the way most thought it would. It's up to the coaches whether they want to use it for a routine injury and hope they don’t actually get a concussion later in the match, or just make up a 'sprain' later in the game to get some fresh legs..

Yeah, I was thinking that as I wrote that. So it's gone the way most thought it would. It's up to the coaches whether they want to use it for a routine injury and hope they don’t actually get a concussion later in the match, or just make up a 'sprain' later in the game to get some fresh legs..
As long as the club MO determines it is reasonable that the unconcussed player will be unfit for 12 days they can be subbed out and still play the next week.

3. A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.
a. Only the Club Medical Officer can determine a Player is medically unfit.
b. A Medical Substitute can be activated at any stage during the match.
c. A Medical Substitute can occur even after the Interchange Cap of 75 has been met as per current AFL Regulations when an injured player has exited the Playing Surface.
d. On or before the first working day after the match, the Club Medical Officer must provide a Medical Certificate to the AFL certifying that the Player replaced by the Medical Substitute Player sustained the injury.

A Concussed Player:
A player who is substituted out of the match with concussion will be sidelined for a minimum of 12 days as per current 2021 AFL Concussion Guidelines in place.

Any idea on the time frame for mead?
Was hoping to see him debut sooner rather than later☹️

Yes it is the rule.

Clubs will be able to replace a player who has been concussed or suffered a match-ending injury, but in order to avoid exploitation of the rule, it will be only be done the player is officially declared by a club doctor as medically unfit to continue.

To be eligible, the doctor must decide that a player will not be able to play a game in the next 12 days. The doctors must provide the league with a medical certificate the next working day after the match as evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it is the rule.

Clubs will be able to replace a player who has been concussed or suffered a match-ending injury, but in order to avoid exploitation of the rule, it will be only be done the player is officially declared by a club doctor as medically unfit to continue.

To be eligible, the doctor must decide that a player will not be able to play a game in the next 12 days. The doctors must provide the league with a medical certificate the next working day after the match as evidence.
That info, which I'm aware you've quoted from the ABC and another site, is different from what's on the AFL website:

Club doctors must provide the AFL with a medical certificate on the first working day after the match as evidence the substituted player sustained the injury.

Should a subbed-out player recover from an injury other than concussion before the next match, he may be granted to play provided his return is ticked off by the AFL Medical Officer.

No doubt in my mind that Houston can / will play without AFL sanction if he's deemed fit by the club.

Bad luck for meady. Sounds tough like his dad.

Didn't Jeremy Clayton injure his spleen and get his magery in hospital?

This will sound really harsh under the circumstances and Duursma obviously had a couple of massive moments including that mark in the last quarter, but generally speaking he's been a bit average in our first few games. I'd be surprised if someone couldn't step up and match his early season form.

Not so sure about that, I think you are undervaluing the gut running he does at both ends, but particularly defensively. Big part of what Ken wants and there's only one guy in our club who can gut run as well as duursma.

Not so sure about that, I think you are undervaluing the gut running he does at both ends, but particularly defensively. Big part of what Ken wants and there's only one guy in our club who can gut run as well as duursma.

The tougher the game the more likely it is Duursma will be the last guy left on the field with any gas left in the tank. Completely untouchable and it's beyond ridiculous he would ever be mentioned in this thread.

Yes it is the rule.

As posted by me yesterday prior to your post, from the AFL's official statement;

"A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days."

I am super gutted re Jones' injury! What a year we are having, esp after last year's injury-free ride. Bum!

On the positive side, we know this team is capable of going deep into finals. Now with so many of these first-22 players out injured, it means that the likes of Bergman, Woodcock, Mayes, and now at least one other fringe player gets to come in and join the fray, getting valuable experience as we head towards the first bye.

This will really test our system, and the metal of this team - Backs to the wall, if they can claw their way to victories through this time, it will toughen the team up by the time finals come.

This worked really well for Richmond a few years back when they looked gone will all their injuries. So just how good is this team? And just how good is Ken?

Ok, dont answer the last one!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back