Autopsy Freo Belt North But Didn’t Score 100, Time to Rebuild - Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

lol Jlo sounds really sad in the presser :disappointed:

It’s gotta be hard to have all this build up to the game and then the ceremony gets cancelled. No fans. Optus would have been rocking during the game. The players feed off the crowd and it’s gotta be hard to manufacture that enthusiasm for an entire game. JLo might not have been depressed; he was just worn out and disappointed. It would have been great for this young team to smash an opponent in front of 40,000. They’re gonna need that energy and momentum for next week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I said earlier in the season that Colyer was rubbish.

But in the last few games it looks like he has found a nice patch of form and is going a lot better now.

Colyer's always been a rubbish kick but if it wasn't for that he'd be a much more highly rated player.

Even guys who are rubbish kicks get it right sometimes and Colyer looks really good when he does.

Random thoughts:

- I enjoyed Brayshaw getting 30 while supposedly being minded when LDU was a non-entity again. Thanks North!

- As I've alluded to, I thought Fyfe had a very good game despite his misses. It's pretty clear he has a mental block with goal kicking right now though, and for someone who's so hard on himself and holds himself to such high standards I can see it turning into a real issue. All the more reason to just let him be his dominating midfielder self for a while

- I'd be happy to send Treacy back to Peel for a spell. There's a fine line between pumping games into promising youngsters and ruining their confidence if they don't get near it and I'm worried we're approaching the latter with him

- Disappointing to see Freddy basically non-existent after such a promising first qtr. I started watching him a bit more intently off the ball in the 2nd half and I think he needs to be a bit more desperate defensively when things aren't going his way

- I'm normally a big fan but I thought Logue was pretty ordinary. He's obviously just come back and short of match-hardness though

- I actually didn't mind Acres' game this week

- Lobb was Lobb. A few good contested marks, a few horrible shots at goal. Once his contract expires and we can downgrade him to something more appropriate to his output we'll be better off. He's not as bad as people say, but he's clearly not the messiah either

- Tabs is quietly putting together an impressive season. He still makes his usual stuff-ups but every year his better gets better and he's consistently kicking bags now. 17 goals in only 6 games is good by anyone's standards, and he's only one goal off equalling his 2nd best year with 16 games to go

- As I've alluded to, I thought Fyfe had a very good game despite his misses. It's pretty clear he has a mental block with goal kicking right now though, and for someone who's so hard on himself and holds himself to such high standards I can see it turning into a real issue. All the more reason to just let him be his
Is that psychologist still available that got Mayne from 25.23 to 39.7?

They had video of the guys practising goals before the game, and even lobb was splitting the middle. Not sure whether it's headspace or fatigue

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

My thoughts on some of the shots:
  • Lobb = headspace (stress); he did a half (three quick steps) stutter again on one of his set shots at goal; looks like he is under a bit of self-pressure after a poor game last week and it clearly showed as well with some of his double grabs at marks where he would normally snaffle them even with the dew (thought he tried hard all night though);
  • Fyfe = awareness+fatigue; I think the first one (mark in front then trying to a round the corner) was a brain-snap / lack of confidence for a regular set shot, but I think the others may have been fatigue after running hard in the midfield; they were fairly instinctual and would normally back him to kick those.
  • Taberner = awareness; was trying to get as close to the man on the mark to utilize the new rule instead of backing himself to kick the distance; resulting in him kicking into the man in the mark and the other one going off line.
  • Frederick = complacency; I thought with missed shot early in the game felt like he could have got closer or even run right into the goal square (was anyone closer to goal than him?); it was at a point in the game where we were all over them metaphorically so I felt it was a little like taking the foot off the pedal - a young player mistake that I am sure he will rectify in the future.
Rookies can get paid match fees which can be quite high. Hughes is due a proper contract but we could still be looking after him.

btw I thought Chapman was pretty rubbish today if I’m being honest. Tended to bomb the ball and turned it over a few times. Logue was also pants.

For me the indicator / statistic often lies but Chapman had 81% disposal efficiency last night which was in the Top 5 for the team which correlated with my memory of his disposal. I think I saw one which I remember thinking looked like a bomb but he did seem to provide some rebound again. My bigger concern with Chapman is that he is tiring (as is understandable) - many of his other statistics were down, and he is potentially going into the Eagles game where we are going to require him to man up a dangerous 3rd or 4th tall forward in either Oscar Allen or Jarrod Brander.

Positives
- Fyfe in the midfield where he belongs
- Mundyfourhundy looks like it is definitely going to be a thing.
- Brayshaw is a jet. Loved watching him get tagged and play through it.
- Serong > Neale
- Sean Darcy being a proper ruck dog. I have so much confidence when he floats forward, it seems the space created in the forward line due to the new rules is really benefiting him.
- Treacy and his repeat efforts. I am firmly in the camp of putting 10 games straight into him and seeing if he is going to make it or not. We don't pick enough forwards for a start, let's not wait 4 years of him playing WAFL footy before punting him. Throw him into the fire for a few weeks and see what happens.
We aren't winning the flag this year, give someone a proper crack at pairing with Taberner.
- Top 6 baby!

Negatives:
- We are so far off the flag it isn't funny. No way does that game style win us a final. We won because North are so bad, not because we were too good.
- Goal kicking is atrocious, how we pay Lobb as much as we do for his output is a head scratcher. He is not a good forward.
- Fyfes goal kicking. Is it mechanics? Is it confidence? Something is properly wrong and he doesn't seem to be getting good advice on it. Needs to be talking to a midfielder who kicked goals for advice.
- Didn't like North's tactics of trying to beat us up to keep in the contest.
- Game day threads are still a yuk place to post.
- Not kicking 100 points.

- We are so far off the flag it isn't funny. No way does that game style win us a final. We won because North are so bad, not because we were too good.
Agree with the rest of your post but not this. It's like saying Richmond can't win a flag with their game style because they got thumped by Melbourne yesterday.

The game plan is fine. We didn't execute it as well as we should have but you can still see the strong fundamentals of a plan that involves winning the contested ball, getting the ball to the outside, trying not to bomb long to move the ball, and to lower the eyes and try and hit targets inside 50 rather than bomb it to whichever forward is closest to goal. The team defensive zone wasn't as tight as it could be but we locked the ball in our forward half at times still - will need to be more disciplined next week. I thought the dew had the players running slower, fumbling and losing their feet a lot more than they should have and resulted in a scrappier game than it needed to be. North were also clearly trying to use physicality and the umps didn't protect our players at all - I don't mind it (think our young players are learning how to deal with it - eg Brayshaw working through the tag) but really we should have won the free kick count convincingly in that game. Probably most of all, to use a favourite term of JLo's, we didn't put much speed behind the ball like we have in previous games. The players weren't willing to hit the button and attack and trust that the players down field would open up space and win the 1-on-1 contests. I suspect we may have seen a lot more if they could have fed off the energy of a live crowd. Continuing to miss shots on goal we shouldn't be is also having a greater impact than just not getting the goals on the scoreboard - hopefully the team can work through it because they fix that and the psych benefits to the rest of the game plan will see us being able to pile on big scores. I've watched a lot more non-Freo games this year and been shocked how poor a lot of supposed good teams have looked - we're not that far off imo.

We won't win a final (or even next week) if we execute the plan as poorly as we did yesterday but the plan itself looks pretty solid to me. It's only Rd 6, we have plenty of time to improve on the execution front.

I don’t know why anyone would be feeling too bad after that. We won by 50, in the top 8, enjoyable games by guys like Shultz, Serong, Tabs, Mundy, saw a bit more of the system we’re working towards.

The lack of atmosphere led to a pretty low intensity at times, I don’t blame them for not being at 100% all game long, it was a weird night. Plenty to work on but take the 4 points and % and move on to tougher assignments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on that, I’d be dropping Lobb for Meek and adding Sturt to the forward line to stretch the Eagles defence a bit more. Walters to make way imo, either needs a rest or a wake up.

Solid game though, was a lot to like about some of the passages. North witches hats after their little fight backs failed to make a dent.

Agree with the rest of your post but not this. It's like saying Richmond can't win a flag with their game style because they got thumped by Melbourne yesterday.

The game plan is fine. We didn't execute it as well as we should have but you can still see the strong fundamentals of a plan that involves winning the contested ball, getting the ball to the outside, trying not to bomb long to move the ball, and to lower the eyes and try and hit targets inside 50 rather than bomb it to whichever forward is closest to goal. The team defensive zone wasn't as tight as it could be but we locked the ball in our forward half at times still - will need to be more disciplined next week. I thought the dew had the players running slower, fumbling and losing their feet a lot more than they should have and resulted in a scrappier game than it needed to be. North were also clearly trying to use physicality and the umps didn't protect our players at all - I don't mind it (think our young players are learning how to deal with it - eg Brayshaw working through the tag) but really we should have won the free kick count convincingly in that game. Probably most of all, to use a favourite term of JLo's, we didn't put much speed behind the ball like we have in previous games. The players weren't willing to hit the button and attack and trust that the players down field would open up space and win the 1-on-1 contests. I suspect we may have seen a lot more if they could have fed off the energy of a live crowd. Continuing to miss shots on goal we shouldn't be is also having a greater impact than just not getting the goals on the scoreboard - hopefully the team can work through it because they fix that and the psych benefits to the rest of the game plan will see us being able to pile on big scores. I've watched a lot more non-Freo games this year and been shocked how poor a lot of supposed good teams have looked - we're not that far off imo.

We won't win a final (or even next week) if we execute the plan as poorly as we did yesterday but the plan itself looks pretty solid to me. It's only Rd 6, we have plenty of time to improve on the execution front.

I understand where you are coming from but for how long have people on BF in particular banged on about our lack of skills?

Our poor goal kicking?

The club brought in John Longmire because they didn't believe the last coach could take us to a flag and yet we still haven't fixed the same issues that were present under the previous coach.

It is pretty understandable to me that people are unhappy with the progress. We should have flogged North last night by 100+.

No crowd is not an excuse, North Melbourne were horrible, our inability to execute under minimal pressure is a huge concern for me and it has to be viewed in the context of winning a flag.

Being top 6 is a step in the right direction but I am not happy with the progress we are showing currently. It isn't going to stand up to finals football and I am concerned we are not fixing historical problems at the club.

If we were to make a GF this year would any of us trust our forward line to kick a winning score? It is our biggest issue and one the club has continually failed to address.

I understand where you are coming from but for how long have people on BF in particular banged on about our lack of skills?

Our poor goal kicking?

The club brought in John Longmire because they didn't believe the last coach could take us to a flag and yet we still haven't fixed the same issues that were present under the previous coach.

It is pretty understandable to me that people are unhappy with the progress. We should have flogged North last night by 100+.

No crowd is not an excuse, North Melbourne were horrible, our inability to execute under minimal pressure is a huge concern for me and it has to be viewed in the context of winning a flag.

Being top 6 is a step in the right direction but I am not happy with the progress we are showing currently. It isn't going to stand up to finals football and I am concerned we are not fixing historical problems at the club.

If we were to make a GF this year would any of us trust our forward line to kick a winning score? It is our biggest issue and one the club has continually failed to address.
Accuracy is our problem. We get enough looks now. Look at the squiggle, we have clearly given up some defense to get some attack.

Accuracy is an individual problem. Draft blokes who are better at kicking for goal. Mundy's been here 200 years and yet the "historical problems" don't appear to be bothering him.

We don't spend enough top end draft capital on forwards. It's that simple.

Our poor goal kicking?

John will get it sorted.

He can freeze up occasionally and make errors of judgement, but I reckon his kicking has always been pretty reliable.

And how he didn't get a 50 for that roundarm to the ribs was a disgrace. The commentator was right in saying he should expect to be protected by the umps when he puts his body on the line like that. (Like he does every week btw)

*obligatory weekly post defending Hughes since I seem to be one of only posters on this board who rates him*
You mean my buddy Hughes, who is as tough and reliable a defender as they come, who makes occasional mistakes, but who beats his man almost every single week. Yeah, people need to see what he brings to the team, and not the (okay perhaps more than the) occasional clanger. His name would be among the first on the board each week and those saying he should be an out every week are living in Lala Land. He’s not going anywhere.
Thanks esti for seeing beyond his escaped goat status and joining me in saying my buddy should be highly rated by everyone. If you don’t rate him, quite simply, you’re wrong. ☺️

+
- Shultz, upgrade him and extend for 2 years
- Brayshaw for breaking the tag
- Mundy... pleasure to be watching him while we can
- serong - 36 touches, he’s loving learning from Fyfe / Mundy
- tabs - another bag, nothing special, works within his capability and we know what we are going to get (good and bad)

-
- Cox / Conca injuries
- Logues brain fades, needs to switch on as will likely get #1 forward next week with Cox out
- goal kicking, nothing more to add here
- Covid for Fckn Len Hall game but significantly impacting the freo coffers
- Treacy - I feel he’s just not getting the reward he’s putting in. Playing the role that makes tabs / Lobb one out so I’d persevere but as long as he’s mentally not dropping (pressure on himself)
- Lobb - building fitness but those shots on goal were terrible - he doesn’t have the range nor confidence in his leg yet to take the long shot so just put it at the hot spot
- Biffo - sucked in to the dirty Norf play - they have limited skill so often went for the cheap whack behind play, felt we got sucked in and they got inside our heads a bit

Overall - content but we get the 4 points and move on quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back