Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
According to the media no new coach should ever be given a job. We should simply rotate those who have years of experience regardless of their results.
Yep it’s bizarre.

Even though only 1 of 18 current coaches are coaching at their second club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think attendance and membership numbers will have an influence on the coaching decision.
Bottom line is this club's disgraceful mismanagement is why we are vying for the wooden spoon with a team which has far more upside than we do.
Are you a member?

Are you a member?
Have been for decades.
I've slept iin a tiny corporste box in tbe sherrin stand on a freezing cold night and stood in line with my fellow fanatics with their sleeping bags and wrapped in blankets on the hope of getting GF tickets many times in the 70s.
I got my Collingwood tattoo the year we won the wooden spoon in 99.
I love the club and I've done many hard yards following them.

Last edited:
Me too. Will you drop your membership if Buckley is re-signed?
I know this isnt directed at me but I will give my answer. I would re up again because I am a sucker. I feel like a sucker this year and I will feel like a major one next season if Buckley is given another contract. I will go to games shake my head wonder why I am here and then be back the next week to do it all again.

I really do have to wonder why I signed up this season. I donated the club money last season during a season we couldn't go to games, didnt agree with a single off-season move, foresaw our crash and burn and yet once again I paid up. Did the club deserve my money? I don't think so

I reckon it's about time the head coach's role was solely tactics. We should have a separate mentor/motivator. This way you don't lose both roles if one fails.

No I don't think that'd work, your coach is the mentor you look up to, the person who re confirms to you that you can achieve, and the coach is not the only one it's the whole panel and Maxy as well. That person skill set separates the wheat from the chaff, the good coaches from the not so good.

I'd argue every head coach in the league has a brilliant tactical mind, getting their players to execute them through motivation and mentoring is a big part.

It can't just be down to the player to self motivate, sure there's responsibility there but not solely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back