Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Cockburn

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the hawks will tag Kelly?

From his own admission/s in interviews after the win, this was the first time in a few weeks he has been free of a tag - and he absolutely dominated.

At the moment (small sample size) it is catastrophic for opposition teams choosing not to tag him - and quite beneficial for the teams who choose to.

Watch out if he develops the skills to work through a tag (watch out when Shuey and Yeo are back - but I think we all know that!). It is definitely something he is working on...

Do the hawks have a dedicated tagger?
Worpel has done the job a few times. Completely shut down Brayshaw when they played Freo.

Rotham-and-Brander.JPG

Shout out to these two twins. Rotham was great so was Brander. The future is now. Where would our defence be without Rotham and our mids would be in bigger sh*t without Brander.

I have to think which is which when I see a photo of one of them, but put them together and it's like Schwarzanegger and DeVito.

Looking at the ladder atm and getting Deja vu:

We are 8th on %, could be a high as 5th as we have the same amount of wins as the cats........problem is, we are over 10% lower then the next team in that wins bracket.

Anyone who believes that winning is simply enough and % is irrelevant is kidding themselves. % has cost us top 4 the last 2 years.

Simpson needs to absolutely drill into those boys to always keep the foot to the throat lest it come back to haunt us for yet another season

Hutchings was great at tagging and very little else. Momentum killer with the ball but he was good for a goal every now and then. Better pure tagger but Nelson's a better footballer overall I think.
Nelsons also a hard nut

Every team needs a few blokes with serious mongrel or you get bullied

Now it’s hit twitter. Feel like white people are more outraged by this than people pf colour.
Also funny how JJ is cropped out

Most people who are outraged seem to be 💧twitter, which is unsurprising.

And if you don't know what that means, congrats, don't try change that.

Most people who are outraged seem to be 💧twitter, which is unsurprising.

And if you don't know what that means, congrats, don't try change that.
It's a stupid game people play, sort of a "made you look" thing. Don't see what the fuss is about. Probably sad Freo supporters trying to court controversy.

The real postive was the performance of the young players even though many of the dockers supporters think we are heading over a cliff list wise

Players 22 and under yestersday

WCE

Allen, Brander, Edwards, Jones, Petro, Waterman, Witherden

FREO

Brayshaw, Chapman, Cox, Crowden, Darcy, Frederick, Serong

Hahaha surely not, where did you hear that

I imagine they were going to pull the old rocks and anchor stage out onto Subi and party like it's 1999 (when they were also losers).

+ ve.

It was fun whilst it lasted.

- ve.

Teasing Dockers supporters is now Bullying.

Why?

Good-natured teasing is a way for people to communicate with each other and done in the right spirit, this banter can be positive (and very enjoyable for eagles supporters).

Just like when your best mate misses that 3 pointer and you say, "Nice shot Bryce".

We can all laugh it off and it shows we can all joke around and still be friends.

But teasing can also be used to communicate the negative and is often used to establish a “top dog”.

For examaple, a group of girls might tease one in the group about her weight. Or kids might tease little Nathan saying “What a little wimp, you wear mascara and a purple footy jumper.”

In cases such as this, what’s playful to us may not be playful to another and can lead to hurt feelings.

So perhaps we need to reel it in, ask our purple loving mates (if you have any) if they are RUOK and get them to show us where it hurts on the nice lady doll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now it’s hit twitter. Feel like white people are more outraged by this than people pf colour.

Why did I read the comments section? * I hate humans.

Well that’s villain of the week for this weeks pod sown up HoneyBadger35

+ Jones - keeps putting himself in the action which is the opposite of Petrecelle and Langdon.
+ Brander's 2nd half - worry is that when he has shown something has been when we are on top, when we're down he's invisible
+ Dothan - rock solid
++ - Kelly, Gaff, Ended, Darling, Redden, Allen, Kennedy, Naitanui - did what they had to do

- Edwards - towelled up by Taberner, looked better after moved to Lobb, but Lobb was doing nothing anyway. Still a !omg way off it
- Langdon - contributes zero and hasn't kicked a goal in six outings. If he was playing a defensive role that might be acceptable
- Petrecelle - all or nothing player, two unbelievable games in his career, virtually unsighted in every other match.
- Vardy - the sooner Bailey Williams is ready the better

Like I said, not good PR regardless of how unjustified the outrage is

Connotations aside, part of me feels like they're just young blokes being smart-arses by playing the circle game (like McGovern and Barrass doing the hoiked up shorts a couple of years back), then another part of me wants them to be humble and professional after a regular season win. They're not robots and shouldn't have to act like them, but they get so much scrutiny and even behaviour training these days you can't help but wonder why they would do it anyway. So in short I'm not exactly certain how I should feel. lol

Like I said, not good PR regardless of how unjustified the outrage is
It’s a good thing Harry highpants dress sense wasn’t a white supremacy indicator

Or is it?

* me - the lengths some people go to in order to take offence at something is unbelievable

Connotations aside, part of me feels like they're just young blokes being smart-arses by playing the circle game (like McGovern and Barrass doing the hoiked up shorts a couple of years back), then another part of me wants them to be humble and professional after a regular season win. They're not robots and shouldn't have to act like them, but they get so much scrutiny and even behaviour training these days you can't help but wonder why they would do it anyway. So in short I'm not exactly certain how I should feel. lol

They’re pissfarting around. So what

It’s not like their grabbing teammates schlongs or sticking fingers up each other’s dates

Any win is a great win considering the circumstances in relation to the number of first-choice players that are missing, but to respond like this after the debacle in Geelong is without question very encouraging.

However, it must be said that this was a really odd match. For long periods it felt more like a preseason warm-up than an actual match for premiership points.

I must admit that I did not anticipate this result. Perhaps I underestimated the ability of our depth whilst overestimating the capability of Fremantle.

I had expected Kelly and Gaff to be tagged, with Fyfe and Mundy using their size to batter Sheed and Redden around the stoppages, providing Fremantle with first use of the ball time and time again.

As we know, none of that happened. Whether by instruction or incompetence, Fremantle provided zero defensive accountability throughout the game. The pressure they applied was non-existent, they stood off rather than ran with their West Coast counterparts and left the front of the stoppage open for exploitation by the Eagles all match. Frankly, from all appearances it is questionable the intent of the desire of Fremantle to win this match at all.

That is not to take away from a great performance by West Coast, but the Dockers facing an opponent that was seriously wounded coming in, seemingly did everything they could to play to the strength of that wounded opposition. I have been an advocate of Longmuir as their coach, but his efforts concerning this match were appalling and arguably self-destructive in their outcome.

Given freedom to attack the ball without opposition attention, Kelly did exactly what he was traded in to do. Similarly, Gaff was given space to roam and accumulate at will whilst Sheed and Redden escaped any significant pressure around stoppages. Just four players (Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Naitanui) combined for 34 clearances between them.

Without any defensive pressure, this became a game of circle-work execution, which suits this Eagles' team perfectly. West Coast players got their hands on the ball first and Fremantle turned it over when they did get possession - the result was a one-sided blowout.

Logue standing 10 metres behind all match made Kennedy look like he had turned the clock back ten years whilst Cox was turned into a caravan chasing after Darling without any success. Between them the two pillars up forward had 7 goals and 18 score involvements, capitalising upon some very poor defensive efforts by the opposition.

With the midfield on top and the ball positioned within the front half for long periods, it allowed greater impact from non-key forwards - Jones, Cripps and Langdon combined for 56 disposals, 23 contested possessions and 6 goals.

A makeshift defence missing McGovern, Barrass and Hurn with five players aged 23 or under conceded just two goals during the second half. The question was asked and they each individually and collectively stood-up when needed. Rotham continues to grow into his role with each match that he plays (still has only played 21 matches - a lot of development yet to come) and H.Edwards carpeted a far more experienced Lobb in just his second taste at senior level.

Allen displayed again that he is the best young key position player in the competition. Played outside of his customary forward position due to the injury crisis down back, he was a defensive rock and his move onto Taberner during the second half is arguably the tactical change that decisively shifted the outcome of the match. After kicking 3 goals and looking ominous in the first half, Taberner was crushed by Allen, gaining a solitary possession in the second half - whilst Allen had 6 disposals and 4 score involvements himself during that period. It's easy to forget that Allen has only just turned 22 and is still yet to play 50 games - he is such a special talent.

Waterman played the role of third tall forward perfectly once again, taking 8 marks and hitting the scoreboard with 3 goals. As always, the headache will be in future in finding a way to extract the best from him when the three of Darling, Kennedy and Allen are positioned up forward.

The emergence of Brander continues to be the highlight of this season so far. His potential to impact at AFL level was undeniable, however for various reasons that potential had failed to be realised in previous years. Now it appears he has carved a place in the team and is starting to gain the confidence that he belongs at top level. He has talent in buckets - I still strongly believe that we are only scratching at the surface of what he is capable of. His ability to rapidly assess situations and make the correct decision with disposal is going to become more and more of a weapon as he develops.

As described at the start of this, any win with this many outs is a great win. But it must be said this match was little more than AFLX played on an oval.

The opposition were lamentable and West Coast put them away. Well done, 4 more points towards the end of the season.

It must be expected that no other opponent this season will roll over so easily as Fremantle did in this match.

I wonder if the hawks will tag Kelly?

From his own admission/s in interviews after the win, this was the first time in a few weeks he has been free of a tag - and he absolutely dominated.

At the moment (small sample size) it is catastrophic for opposition teams choosing not to tag him - and quite beneficial for the teams who choose to.

Watch out if he develops the skills to work through a tag (watch out when Shuey and Yeo are back - but I think we all know that!). It is definitely something he is working on...

Do the hawks have a dedicated tagger?
Just goes to show how much we’re missing Yeo and Shuey too. If Kelly plays like this without a tag and the other two demand one as well (see 2018 GF where either one took over as the other was being tagged), they’re going to be very hard to stop as a trio.

It's a hiding to nothing really isn't it.

If they bite the medals in the photo and drink out of the cup as if they've won a premiership - the media would (rightfully) be all over them basically telling them to calm down it is only a R7 win

Then they go to far the other way, and take the piss out of a photo (because, as players, they realise it is only a R7 win and way to early to celebrate anything) and people question it (whether it is harry high pants or the circle game).

I'm glad they do these things in the post-derby photos. Winning is important, but so is not getting ahead of yourselves. Let them enjoy the win for 30mins afterwards before it is back to work!

*assuming there was a complete ignorance to any race/racism related link to the hand signal. IF it were to come out otherwise, which I seriously doubt, then of course there should be repercussions - but I highly doubt that is the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back