List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Draft, Trade, Free Agency and Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the mid season draft - Has anyone seen how Jonathon Marsh has been playing for East Freo so far this year?
Handy sized Key position player with 4 or 5 seasons at Collingwood and StKilda under his belt. I can't recall any of his Saints games but do remember him playing a few good games in defence for the Pies early on before he decided to come back to WA. Still only mid 20's, if he's currently fit and in good form could be a plug and play experienced key defender to cover for our injuries down back this year with potential to still be on the list in five years time if he performs.
No idea how he has been tracking this year though !

I agree, i would want a Top 5 and a Top 15 pick at least
Knowing the Dockers we will trade him for pick 5 only so we got him for pick 5 four years ago, put all that time and development into him only to start again. Unless it leads to us getting an elite established KPF or midfielder or both and not hand me downs it should be no deal, i.e. players like SPS, Fisher and McGovern's brother need not apply.

Knowing the Dockers we will trade him for pick 5 only so we got him for pick 5 four years ago, put all that time and development into him only to start again. Unless it leads to us getting an elite established KPF or midfielder or both and not hand me downs it should be no deal, i.e. players like SPS, Fisher and McGovern's brother need not apply.

I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't get one pick inside the top 6 and another inside the top 20.

Obvs depends on the club and where they finish, but I think the best we could do would be:

Saints (pick 9-11)
2021 + 2022 first <-> Cerra + future 2nd

Carlton (pick 7-10)
2021 first + 2nd rounder <-> Cerra + future 3rd

Bombers (pick 3-6)
2021 first + 3rd <-> Cerra + future 4th

Not counting Tigers, North, Dees or Hawks as I think they are unrealistic although I can imaging getting pick 2 from North if they get a PP. I can't imagine Cerra wanting to go there after rebuilding here for 4 years though.

I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't get one pick inside the top 6 and another inside the top 20.
Best case scenario IMO is the Hawks (who might still have that Clarkson appeal to him) should be a simple deal for their pick 2 or 3 (which drops back one further due to Daicos bid). If Cerra plays out of his mind the rest of the year you could maybe upgrade our 2nd to theirs as well

Best case scenario IMO is the Hawks (who might still have that Clarkson appeal to him) should be a simple deal for their pick 2 or 3 (which drops back one further due to Daicos bid). If Cerra plays out of his mind the rest of the year you could maybe upgrade our 2nd to theirs as well

The worst part is that i was really looking forward to him returning to the team cos i am enjoying watching his progress, its somewhat harder to root for him right now...

This x 100. If freo didn’t make finals for the next 40 years but stayed financially independent during that period, AFL house would be absolutely thrilled.
I can't seeing us ever being successful.

Unsupportive WAFC
Anti Fremantle Media
WAFL clubs white anting us
Powerful club up the road controlling the agenda
Not in the AFL interest for Fremantle to be successful
Losing Culture
Vic Metro draftees wanting to stay in Victoria
Lack of Father Sons and academy not the same benefit as the Northern teams
Extra travel

The only reason we are even financially stable is that the city is 2m with only 2 teams vs 5m with 9 teams in Melbourne.

Re the mid season draft - Has anyone seen how Jonathon Marsh has been playing for East Freo so far this year?
Handy sized Key position player with 4 or 5 seasons at Collingwood and StKilda under his belt. I can't recall any of his Saints games but do remember him playing a few good games in defence for the Pies early on before he decided to come back to WA. Still only mid 20's, if he's currently fit and in good form could be a plug and play experienced key defender to cover for our injuries down back this year with potential to still be on the list in five years time if he performs.
No idea how he has been tracking this year though !
He was very impressive against West Coast Reserves, kicking 7 goals (and who doesn't like seeing that?). He's in that middle ground of very good at WAFL but probably fringe at best at AFL level. I'd much rather look for someone who is a chance to have a higher ceiling.

Obvs depends on the club and where they finish, but I think the best we could do would be:

Saints (pick 9-11)
2021 + 2022 first <-> Cerra + future 2nd

Carlton (pick 7-10)
2021 first + 2nd rounder <-> Cerra + future 3rd

Bombers (pick 3-6)
2021 first + 3rd <-> Cerra + future 4th

Not counting Tigers, North, Dees or Hawks as I think they are unrealistic although I can imaging getting pick 2 from North if they get a PP. I can't imagine Cerra wanting to go there after rebuilding here for 4 years though.
I really think your trade ideas are pretty fair.

Cerra is out of contact and that reduces hand especially when North Melbourne has the first pick in the pre season draft.

If Cerra goes we get screwed.

Cerra would have 10 options but nobody I think is a clear good fit.

North Melbourne has the cash but its rock bottom in a rebuild.

Blues don't have the cash and a mix bag on the field. If Cripps goes that may free up cash.

Bombers have the cash and not in finals contention for a few years.

Hawks are in the middle of a rebuild but have the cash.

Cats don't have the cash and not in Melbourne.

St Kilda may have the cash but they have a history of failure. Not a sexy club and need to overpay for talent.

Dogs don't need another midfielder and don't have the cash.

Demons need space but would love his skill. They will need to move a midfielder or two to make space.

Magpies are in the middle of a rebuild and the club is in a mess.

Tigers don't have the cash but they are challenging for flags.

Cerra will either have to make a decision cash or success. I believe it's better for him to stay for 4 years, get the cash and if we are going nowhere then ask for a trade to a team in contention.

Unsupportive WAFC
Anti Fremantle Media
Losing Culture
Extra travel

The only reason we are even financially stable is that the city is 2m with only 2 teams vs 5m with 9 teams in Melbourne.

Don't agree. With a full list we will be more competitive, even without Cerra.
Western Bulldogs were the most unfashionable club in the VFL 6 years ago, they won a flag 5 years ago.
They have to compete in a much tougher market than Freo.
Good teams win anywhere

Don't agree. With a full list we will be more competitive, even without Cerra.
Western Bulldogs were the most unfashionable club in the VFL 6 years ago, they won a flag 5 years ago.
They have to compete in a much tougher market than Freo.
Good teams win anywhere
The Dogs have market disadvantages but don't have active forces against them.

Lets look at my list

Unsupportive WAFC vs AFL see the Dogs importance to growing the game in the migrant western Melbourne
Anti Fremantle Media vs Media is slightly pro
WAFL clubs white anting us vs Doesn't exist for the dogs
Powerful club up the road controlling the agenda vs They are in a crowded market but the big clubs are not actively targeting them like West Coast with us
Not in the AFL interest for Fremantle to be successful vs see point one
Losing Culture vs Western Bulldogs do have a losing culture
Vic Metro draftees wanting to stay in Victoria vs They don't have that issue
Lack of Father Sons and academy not the same benefit as the Northern teams vs 4 father sons in their grand final team
Extra travel vs they travel less

Western Bulldogs get $5m - $6m more funding per year from the AFL than the Dockers. That evens out the advantages we do have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsupportive WAFC
Anti Fremantle Media
Losing Culture
Extra travel

A recipe for this post would include the ingredients:

- half cup of garbage
- two tablespoons of horseshit
- teaspoon of "boo ******* hoo"
- pinch of waaaaaaah

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but surely if you actually believed this, you wouldn't even be here?

Psscht It’s just going to make it all the more satisfying when we finally win one

Havent we already down that the last 5 years though??? When is enough enough.
I dont think that should end. You should attack the draft every year whether you are 1st or 18th. The reason we fell off the cliff for 4-5 years was because we didn't draft well (for the picks you have) when we were contending. Trading doesn't work unless you are a destination club which Freo isn't

Both those players fit list needs and Clark is ready to play. I also think getting a top 5 pick is a fantasy. Top 10 at best, but being out of contract puts us in a very poor situation. Closer to Langdon than Hill.
Disagree because I don’t think you’re factoring in his age. It would be Hill level compensation. Saad went for pick 7 as an uncontracted player, there is a certain point where the quality of the player matters more than the contract status IMO. If Bell can’t get a top 10 pick and change he can quit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back