Preview Changes: R10 vs Melbourne - Crows drop Hamill but keep Mackay

Do you think D Mac will be selected in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. You can just feel it every time he plays...the other players just seem to walk a bit taller. Have a bit more confidence. Very "Hodge" like...

He oozes Hodge level leadership. We're 0-4 with him but just imagine how much worse our losses would have been without that Hodgesque leadership. We can credit him for every set of 4 points we earn next year. It'll all be courtesy of Dave's awesome leadership and training standards. Just a bit of a time delay before it kicks in..

He oozes Hodge level leadership. We're 0-4 with him but just imagine how much worse our losses would have been without that Hodgesque leadership. We can credit him for every set of 4 points we earn next year. It'll all be courtesy of Dave's awesome leadership and training standards. Just a bit of a time delay before it kicks in..

I believe the 2017 GF loss was largely, in fact solely, due to the footy gods being adamant that Mackay would never be allowed to be a premiership player.

I believe the 2017 GF loss was largely, in fact solely, due to the footy gods being adamant that Mackay would never be allowed to be a premiership player.

I think the arrogance of playing Otten and too many tall defenders with an injured Talia were the bigger crimes.

Their midfield will carve us up.

Gawn vs O'Brien. Yikes.
Oliver vs Laird. Oliver better just.
Brayshaw vs Sloane. Brayshaw.
Petracca vs Keays. Huge class difference.
Harmes vs Sholl. Bit difference in age and experience. Harmes.
Langdon vs Seedsman. Langdon more impact.
Sloane is a better player than Brayshaw, an odd comparison as they play pretty different games anyway. Langdon vs Seed is line ball. Laird and Oliver in current form is pretty line ball too, Oliver has obviously played midfield for longer.

The Petracca and Gawn matchups worry me the most, but Keays will give his absolute all and can provide defensive pressure at least.

I think the arrogance of playing Otten and too many tall defenders with an injured Talia were the bigger crimes.
I think we felt obligated to play Otten, rather than picking the best team. Massive mistake.
We were arrogant. We thought it was our year and went in to the game paying no attention to Richmond.

Does McHenry come straight back in?

Would be a show of faith in a kid who has shown some bits and pieces but not enough to outright command a spot purely on performance. Hopefully we back him in

Without a doubt. Been our best pressure forward this year, and the only player who could have kept him out got injured a quarter later.

That would be very out of character for the football gods. They love Mackay.

Does McHenry come straight back in?

Would be a show of faith in a kid who has shown some bits and pieces but not enough to outright command a spot purely on performance. Hopefully we back him in

Sub I reckon.

Mackay to stay in.

Jones needs to stay.
He's found a role he performs well in. If we play Mackay and drop Jones at any point in the rest of this season, Nicks should be immediately sacked.
Whoever makes way for him will be desperately unlucky - but the odds are that it will be Jones or O'Connor. Last man in, first man out. Neither deserve to be dropped, based on last week's performance.

I don’t know why you need to balance youth and experience. Surely you just pick your best team and his last 2 weeks put him outside of that. And that’s if we’re contending, any doubt at all in a rebuild and a performer like him at his age gets nowhere near the 22.
I do think there is truth in the idea of having experience around to help balance the mix of the team. One might believe that with experience come a cool calm head especially when under pressure. My comment is more about trying to justify why the club continues to select MacKay. So I believe experience can be a good thing but I have also suggested that Mackay gets dropped because in this case I dont believe MacKay is having a positive impact on the team. So we agree on what to do with MacKay but I also believe my point about balance is valid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think there is truth in the idea of having experience around to help balance the mix of the team. One might believe that with experience come a cool calm head especially when under pressure. My comment is more about trying to justify why the club continues to select MacKay. So I believe experience can be a good thing but I have also suggested that Mackay gets dropped because in this case I dont believe MacKay is having a positive impact on the team. So we agree on what to do with MacKay but I also believe my point about balance is valid.

I think leadership and experience get conflated at times. We need leadership, ie Talia marshalling the defensive group into position. We don't need experience in running around collecting 14 useless touches, the only ones not to contests or opponents are the 2m handballs for the 1/2. Experience is useful only for one's self in terms of putting a performance on the deck. Leadership is what assists those around you to perform better.

Now, I've done no courses or training on this, so happy to be corrected, but it seems blindingly obvious to me.

And yet we did this with Fogarty going into midfield, when there were multiple better options who were performing in the SANFL ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess the counter to that is that Fog isn't an out and out spud. He's a player who has ability that we're trying to find a position for. Frampton / Himmelberg are basically getting the forward / 2nd ruck gig because they're the only other tall forwards on our list other than Tex and Thilthorpe. Tex isn't tall enough to do the ruck part of it, and I don't really want to see Thilthorpe anywhere near a ruck contest any time son after I nearly had a heart attack when he hyperextended his knee against Port. I don't think I could survive watching him at a centre bounce :p

If we want to get games into one of those young defenders (and, based on selection recently, that's a very big "if"), I'd consider ditching the Frampton / Berg option and throwing McAsey into that role. It's obviously not ideal in terms of the position (ie forward instead of defence) and he's also not tall enough to be a ruckman (but slightly taller than Tex) so we'd be pretty much conceding those bounces. But if it's the difference between him gaining AFL experience or not gaining AFL experience, I think it's at least worth considering. I think he played a bit up forward last year, didn't he?

Jones needs to stay.
He's found a role he performs well in. If we play Mackay and drop Jones at any point in the rest of this season, Nicks should be immediately sacked.
Framptons a better ruck than himmelberg.. but they both arent great.

Rather neither.

Himmelberg needs to be traded at years end to anyone that will take him.. we may even have to pay part of his wage. Hes s**t.

Frampton is only just better than himm.

ROB is horrible at the moment.. but unfortunately hes literally our only option.. hopefully he can find some of last years form soon.

I hope we’re knocking on the door or CCJ and asking him of he wants to come home and get more opportunities..

Framptons a better ruck than himmelberg.. but they both arent great.

Rather neither.

Himmelberg needs to be traded at years end to anyone that will take him.. we may even have to pay part of his wage. Hes sh*t.

Frampton is only just better than himm.

ROB is horrible at the moment.. but unfortunately hes literally our only option.. hopefully he can find some of last years form soon.

I hope we’re knocking on the door or CCJ and asking him of he wants to come home and get more opportunities..

Went to a strip club and got a yiros whilst in a covid bubble. No way he's AFC material.

What I would do:

Out:
Mackay, Frampton, Kelly,

In:
Walker, Worrell, Murray

B: Brown - Murray - Doedee
HB: Smith - Butts - Worrell
C: Sholl - Keays - Seed
HF: Fogarty - Walker - Schoenberg
F: McAdam - Thilthorpe - Rowe
R: O’Brien - Sloane - Laird
Int: Jones, O’Connor, Berry, Hamill
Sub: Mackay
Emg: Mackay, Kelly, McAsey, Hately

In reality, I suspect one of Himmelberg or Frampton will be selected because there still seems to be some sort of notion that playing a backup ruck actually matters.

O’Brien is probably the luckiest guy to be selected - he is in absolutely putrid form, but I just can’t see us picking Strachan unless ROB is actually injured, and going in with one of Frampton or Himmelberg as the No.1 ruck makes our tanking too obvious. If ROB doesn’t improve this week though, Strachan probably has to be picked.

McHenry is obviously a big chance to be selected if he passes all the protocols, but I would just give him one more week. This essentially gives O’Connor another game (which I think he thoroughly deserves), because I don’t think we can drop anyone else for Ned. Rowe, McAdam, Schoenberg, Berry and Jones all showed really good signs against the Eagles.

Hopefully in the coming 4-6 weeks we see both of Worrell and Pedlar debuting / playing well, and one of Murray or McAsey establishing their spot in the 22. These things, plus hopefully the continual development of Berry, Schoenberg, Butts, AND the continuation of what we saw from Chayce in his new role against WCE, is what we need to be focused on during that period.

I guess the counter to that is that Fog isn't an out and out spud. He's a player who has ability that we're trying to find a position for. Frampton / Himmelberg are basically getting the forward / 2nd ruck gig because they're the only other tall forwards on our list other than Tex and Thilthorpe. Tex isn't tall enough to do the ruck part of it, and I don't really want to see Thilthorpe anywhere near a ruck contest any time son after I nearly had a heart attack when he hyperextended his knee against Port. I don't think I could survive watching him at a centre bounce :p

If we want to get games into one of those young defenders (and, based on selection recently, that's a very big "if"), I'd consider ditching the Frampton / Berg option and throwing McAsey into that role. It's obviously not ideal in terms of the position (ie forward instead of defence) and he's also not tall enough to be a ruckman (but slightly taller than Tex) so we'd be pretty much conceding those bounces. But if it's the difference between him gaining AFL experience or not gaining AFL experience, I think it's at least worth considering. I think he played a bit up forward last year, didn't he?

Back