List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All those lamenting having no Plowman repacement or the fact that Plow isn't quick enough to play on small forwards should really go back and look at Stefan Radovanovic from our VFL side. Quick, great recovery skills, good defensive instincts and very good overhead mark.

I note the AFL have a video out of him ahead of the draft and the Carlton site put out a video of his highlights 2 weeks ago.
My intel is that Carlton suggested he should nominate and could get an exemption as he didn’t nominate for last years draft.
I think it was more for him to flag his interest in making any afl list down the track.
Not sure it was a sign we would pick him.
A lot of posters here really like him, was a good sign he played a great last qtr against dogs, endurance maybe improving.

In what should be speculative selections in reality, what about Tyrone Thorne. Young indigenous lad who is playing well in the WAFL as a Sml Fwd/Mid and could be mentored by Betts, Martin etc..
He's someone who looks up to Eddie... not many people do, but Tyrone at 168cm tall manages to do that!

Club that recruited Finbar O'Dwyer in the National Draft thinks they'll find a gem in the midseason rookie draft.

I wonder how this will turn out
Could pretty much do a list of every clubs selections at around pick 66 that didn't pan out.. They are what you would call speculative picks.
New recruiting team. Mirkov, if selected, will be a a chance to be a bust but at 210cm the reward could be great.
Remember Parkes, owies and cottrell are fairly recent additions to our list that didn't come from the national draft.
Can only hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Barker is eligible for the Long Term Incompetence list…

I'll think you'll find the Lyon has elected to be contracted under "other terms" including "being the Boss and no one but the Boss" and the "I get to name my own assistants clause" . Interested clubs have queried whether he will accept the inclusion of a "booze free club functions" clause.

Mirkov should be our first choice as he has the tap ruck skills to really compliment TDK, watched him in the match he played for the VFL side and really gave the mids an armchair ride, Dow was in seventh heaven roving to some magnificent ruck taps, with him and TDK our ruck will be set for the next 10 years and our mids would be salivating at the prospect after having to struggle with the obvious limitations of Pittonet who is just not up to it.

We are in desperate need of some more tall depth to assist Harry up forward, one that missed out in last years draft that I really liked and that trained for an SSP spot at Hawthorn before moving over to the sanfl with Norwood is the tassie boy in Jackson Callow, he has started the season very well and leads the SANFL for contested marks, something we are crying out for with the poor form of Casboult, has also kicked 11 goals from 7 games and is a big boy at 195cm and 96kg that could play early.

As I said I really liked him last year and would be a great pick up for us, he leads hard and straight and has a great pair of hands would be a perfect long term prospect and I would be giddy if we got him and Mirkov out of this mid season draft.

The other one I would be very happy to select would be our very own Ben Crocker, while he is far from kp size he is a beautiful mark and knows how to out position his opponent in the contest, is also a very smart footballer that is hungry for another chance, deserves another opportunity at AFL level and is to talented to not be playing at the top level.

Let me start off by saying that Mirkov is RAW. Like REALLY RAW. And that in theory he has LOTS of upside. Now....to the rest of my post.

I have seen many posters wax lyrical about his match against Brisbane as proof he could be an elite tap ruckman. That he destroyed his opponent and gave us an armchair ride for our domination that day.

In that infamous Brissy game, he got 36 hitouts (very nice). But he had only 3 possessions. 3! His opponent, Tom Fullarton, was badly beaten in the ruck contests (20 HOs) but had an incredible 33 disposals, 4 marks and 8 clearances. And Fullarton isn't the 2nd coming of Dean Cox. He has averaged <10 touches and <2 clearances in his young AFL career so far (and that's after I removed a match where he got injured).

Again, I know Mirkov has upside and I don't question his height, leap and ruckwork, BUT...... he is (currently) useless outside of that.

He seems years away from AFL output based on fitness and gameplay. We used to give Warnock s**t for being useless outside ruck contests. Does Mirkov not project to be an even more exaggerated version of that? Where worst case, he takes up a spot for years, base case he might be a poor man's Warnock and only in an ideal world does he end up being a good pickup?

A penny for your thoughts?

Concerned in Carlton

Let me start off by saying that Mirkov is RAW. Like REALLY RAW. And that in theory he has LOTS of upside. Now....to the rest of my post.

I have seen many posters wax lyrical about his match against Brisbane as proof he could be an elite tap ruckman. That he destroyed his opponent and gave us an armchair ride for our domination that day.

In that infamous Brissy game, he got 36 hitouts (very nice). But he had only 3 possessions. 3! His opponent, Tom Fullarton, was badly beaten in the ruck contests (20 HOs) but had an incredible 33 disposals, 4 marks and 8 clearances. And Fullarton isn't the 2nd coming of Dean Cox. He has averaged <10 touches and <2 clearances in his young AFL career so far (and that's after I removed a match where he got injured).

Again, I know Mirkov has upside and I don't question his height, leap and ruckwork, BUT...... he is (currently) useless outside of that.

He seems years away from AFL output based on fitness and gameplay. We used to give Warnock sh*t for being useless outside ruck contests. Does Mirkov not project to be an even more exaggerated version of that? Where worst case, he takes up a spot for years, base case he might be a poor man's Warnock and only in an ideal world does he end up being a good pickup?

Concerned in Carlton
Love your work mate

He seems years away from AFL output based on fitness and gameplay. We used to give Warnock sh*t for being useless outside ruck contests. Does Mirkov not project to be an even more exaggerated version of that? Where worst case, he takes up a spot for years, base case he might be a poor man's Warnock and only in an ideal world does he end up being a good pickup?

Concerned in Carlton
Definitely high risk high reward scenario.

I guess you just say that it is mid season draft and not a top 10 pick in the national draft and temper your expectations accordingly. Not many have made much of an impact from the mid year draft, so nothing ventured nothing gained.

Being new to the game from volleyball means there is vast scope for improvement for mirkov. Hopefully we gave had a good look at his attitude, nastiness, hand eye Co ordination etc.

Remember we took deluca with our first pick in one if these and he played as many games if not more than most despite not being effectual. The vast amount of players drafted tomorrow night won't be on lists in 18 months time.

This is really interesting. Obviously we have the cap space to take 3 selections

There are 2 players that have been pretty well publicised that we are into,

I wonder if we going to take a punt on a guy like Freeman or Crocker for our 3rd selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think the club is on the right track drafting mirkov with the view to taking eddies pocket?
There are so many issues with our footy club, and it all seems to come from the coaches box. Just fed up of being below average.

Back