Preview Geelong V Brisbane Thu Jun 24 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higgins was alright last week i thought

I will concede that he was better than normal for most of the game, but late in the last quarter with the game in the balance, Higgins butchers his kick coming out of defensive 50, and then absolutely refuses to put his body on the line in the subsequent contest. We’re lucky the resulting shot on goal missed. He’s a squib, and his reputation as a good user of the footy is gone.

We are literally packing Narkle’s bags for him with this type of selection call.

As much as I like Narkle, I read an article earlier today (can’t find it, sorry) that went a long way to explaining why he’s not selected regularly. It has to do with his DE into our F50. He is one of the worst in the entire AFL with 0 successful disposals into F50! It was mentioned in context to Mitch Duncan who is elite in that area. I know there will be people who point to Higgins and Dalhous but the fact remains that at this stage of his career, Narkle is butchering the ball into our F50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks lost this year and I just find his role confusing

He competes in the centre bounces and then kinda roams around waiting for making opportunities on the wing or goes forward and not sure there's really a spot for him up forward or that he really understands what to do up forward considering we have Hawkins, Cameron & Rohan up there

I look at the passage of play on Friday night which lead to his goal, it was Cameron with a mark outside 50 and him knowing what a key forward wants is quick ball movement, he swings around & gets the ball in quick & long to Hawkins one out. Then there's a handball over the top for Ratugolea to kick a goal from a metre out

We've seen Ratugolea get the ball in similar positions to what Cameron did and rather than just getting the ball in long & quick, he holds onto it and waits for a lead or does go long but takes to long to do so

And in terms of his ruck work, he's got the lowest hitout average of our 3 main ruck options we've used this year - so think that makes it fair to question if he's really playing as the #1 ruck or just playing in the seniors
Blicavs plays as our #1 Ruck really...

Im surprised we didnt rest higgins off a 6 day break but no narkle is line ball people are blowing up more than they should be over that.

Im more surprised stanley didnt come in for sav tbh.

You mean those tall forwards that give Hendo wind burn on the lead?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brisbsne dont kick to leads they bomb it in which we like.

Do you think Higgins is getting a game because he was a big name recruit and it will look bad that if he got dropped it would make the club look bad? There is no way he deserves a game over Narkle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I like Narkle, I read an article earlier today (can’t find it, sorry) that went a long way to explaining why he’s not selected regularly. It has to do with his DE into our F50. He is one of the worst in the entire AFL with 0 successful disposals into F50! It was mentioned in context to Mitch Duncan who is elite in that area. I know there will be people who point to Higgins and Dalhous but the fact remains that at this stage of his career, Narkle is butchering the ball into our F50.

I believe it may be this article:

STATS SHOW HOW MUCH CATS WILL MISS DUNCAN

OF ALL the players in the deep Geelong midfield, Mitch Duncan is arguably the most valuable.

The classy Cat doesn’t have the accolades of Patrick Dangerfield, the experience of Joel Selwood or the ball-winning ability of Cam Guthrie but he shines in one of the most important aspects of the game.

Duncan’s ability to hit targets – particularly those inside-50 – makes him one of the most dangerous players in the game forward of centre.

And his record stands in stark contrast to the two men – Shaun Higgins and Quinton Narkle – likely to take up most of his minutes as Duncan nurses an injured knee over the next two months.

According to Champion Data, Duncan’s kick rating – which measures kicks based on whether they hit the target and based on how difficult they are – is plus-8.3 per cent, good for the 22nd best rating in the AFL this year.

The numbers are not so rosy for Higgins (minus-7.1 per cent, ranked 403rd in the AFL) and Narkle (minus-6.5 per cent, ranked 396th).

That means Duncan is among the very best kicks in the game, while Narkle and Higgins are among the very worst.

The reading isn’t any better on what many describe as the most important kick in football – hitting a target inside-50.

Duncan has developed a stunning chemistry with star forward Tom Hawkins over the years and it is clear in the perfect delivery he provides to Hawkins’ chest time and time again.

That eye test is backed up in the numbers, with Duncan well above league average when going forward.

In the AFL this year, on average 48 per cent of kicks inside-50 are “retained” and 19.2 per cent marked by a teammate.

For Duncan, those numbers rise to 55.2 per cent retained and 27.6 per cent marked.

Higgins has had just 16.7 per cent of his kicks inside-50 marked and 38.9 per cent retained.

Narkle ranks even lower – not a single one of his 16 kicks inside-50 this season have been marked by a teammate.

The good news is that both Narkle and Higgins are adaptable enough to cover for Duncan, who has spread himself evenly between the midfield, wing and forward lines this season.

But as Chris Scott said on Tuesday, replacing the minutes and the overall numbers of Duncan may be easy, but the quality will be near on impossible to replicate.

“It’s tough, I have always been a believer that it is impossible to replace your best players like-for-like and Mitch is in that category,” Scott said.

CATS KICKING THEMSELVES

Player – Kick rating (AFL rank) – kicks inside-50 marked

Mitch Duncan – +8.3 per cent (22nd) – 27.6 per cent

Quinton Narkle – -6.5 per cent (396th) – 0 per cent

Shaun Higgins – -7.1 per cent (403rd) – 16.7 per cent

Source: Champion Data

Could you blame Clark or Narkle if the decide to leave... even Constable.. no way Higgins deserves should get a game

Might be a blessing in disguise for the “Narkle/Clark Appreciation Society” that they aren’t playing tomorrow night. Reckon we’ll lose, and the case against the inclusion of a couple of these drifters will strengthen. I expect at least one of Narkle/Clark to be back the following week.

Narkle was disappointing last week, I was hoping he’d get an extended run with Duncan out but based purely on form, Narkle deserved to be omitted before whipping boys Higgins and Dahl.
So if form Only counts the last game you played and none of the previous games why the hell was narkle dropped after the pies game? He was in the top 5 Players that day.

Blicavs plays as our #1 Ruck really...

Agree - it seems that Ratugolea is the preferred centre bounce ruck until such time that they decide they really can't leave him there and revert to Blicavs as the go to ruck

I know that the team sheet doesn't necessarily mean s**t, but even this week they've named Ratugolea on the bench and Blicavs as the starting ruck

He never plays foward fifty. They refuse to put him in there.

and Higgins has one of the worst disposal efficiencies in the league. Not just In one part of the ground he barely plays.

these excuses are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back