Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Mission

Here it is. The stat we've all been waiting for and one that Champion Data won't release. The definitive answer to oppos who state "it's not how many frees you get, it's where you get them". Well feast your eyes on the table below.

I've gone through every game up to the current round this year, and watched every single goal to get an accurate count. Note that this is goals directly from frees. This means:
  • Player gets a free. Then has a set shot or plays on and kicks the goal.
  • Player gets a free. Teammate takes advantage and kicks the goal.
This was the only way to remain objective in determining what goals came from frees. I didn't include goals that come indirectly from frees, i.e. a player gets a free at half-forward, pumps it long, ball spills over the back and a teammate runs onto it and kicks a goal. Although this goal came about because of the free paid upfield, it becomes very subjective in determining exactly how many of these should be counted etc.

Also note that I'm not differentiating between frees that were dubious or not. There's plenty of goals from frees that were absolutely there. Just as there were plenty which came from dubious decisions (Daniher diving forward vs Geelong last night for example). To the table below:

Setup
  • GFT = Goals For Total. Total amount of goals from frees.
  • GAT = Goals Against Total. Total amount of goals against from frees.
  • DIF = Differential. Goals from frees minus goals against from frees.
  • % VS = % Versus. Same as percentage on the ladder. Another way of looking at it compared to just using the differential.
  • % of TG = Percentage of Total Goals. Shows what percent of every goal kicked this season for that team came from a free kick.
  • GP I50 = Goals from frees per Inside 50. See explanation below.
Results (Updated for Rd 21)

1628792345995.png

Analysis

This was the tricky part. The general trend seems to be that the better teams (Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong, Brisbane, Port) all fare very well in the positive. However there are some odd results that contradict this. Carlton is MILES ahead of any other team and remarkably, 25% of their goals this year have come from frees. Watching their matches made me realize that Harry McKay gets a lot of free kicks, most for holding/blocking, and a lot of them dubious. Carlton also have the greatest differential from one match. Their Round 3 game vs Freo saw Carlton kick 7 goals from frees to Freo's 1. Mental.

As expected, the lower teams are on the ladder, the worse they seem to fare. North Melbourne and Hawthorn haven't fared too well this year, but it's to be expected considering the amount of defending they're doing each game.

Onto the Tigers. We have the equal second worst goals for, differential, percentage, and percent of total goals. We also have the equal second highest goals against. The board consensus is that we've been robbed quite a bit, and these stats certainly back that claim up. The fact that we give away a lot of goals from frees is ok, because we do play an aggressive gamestyle. But to barely receive any in return compared to other good teams is the perplexing part.

Goals from Frees per Inside 50

I added this onto the table per request. It's the percentage of goals that come from free kicks per inside 50. Say for example a team has 40 Inside 50s for a game, and kicks 10 goals from frees in that game. The above number would be 25%. The higher this percentage is, the better rewarded a team is when the ball is inside their forward line. This is aimed at comparing weaker teams (less inside 50s) and stronger teams (more inside 50s).

Thoughts?

Well what do you all think? I know we've had plenty of umpiring threads/discussion this year, and hopefully this gives some credibility to those claims that we get a bit of a raw deal.

Also note, if you ever hear umpiring whinging from Carlton supporters, show them this table and then tell them to gagf.

Note that I will be updating this table mid-week at the end of each round.

Attachments

• 1626905527672.png
    1626905527672.png
    11 KB · Views: 220
  • 1627516018275.png
    1627516018275.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Mission

Here it is. The stat we've all been waiting for and one that Champion Data won't release. The definitive answer to oppos who state "it's not how many frees you get, it's where you get them". Well feast your eyes on the table below.

I've gone through every game up to the current round this year, and watched every single goal to get an accurate count. Note that this is goals directly from frees. This means:
This was the only way to remain objective in determining what goals came from frees. I didn't include goals that come indirectly from frees, i.e. a player gets a free at half-forward, pumps it long, ball spills over the back and a teammate runs onto it and kicks a goal. Although this goal came about because of the free paid upfield, it becomes very subjective in determining exactly how many of these should be counted etc.

Also note that I'm not differentiating between frees that were dubious or not. There's plenty of goals from frees that were absolutely there. Just as there were plenty which came from dubious decisions (Daniher diving forward vs Geelong last night for example). To the table below:

Setup
  • % VS = % Versus. Same as percentage on the ladder. Another way of looking at it compared to just using the differential.
  • % of TG = Percentage of Total Goals. Shows what percent of every goal kicked this season for that team came from a free kick.
Results

Team
GFT
GAT
DIF
% VS
% of TG
Adelaide​
33​
21​
12​
157​
22.1​
Brisbane​
31​
18​
13​
172​
17.6​
Carlton​
38​
19​
19​
200​
24.5​
Collingwood​
26​
27​
-1​
96​
20.0​
Essendon​
22​
26​
-4​
85​
12.3​
Fremantle​
22​
33​
-11​
67​
16.1​
Gold Coast​
24​
25​
-1​
96​
19.0​
Geelong​
27​
23​
4​
117​
16.7​
GWS​
20​
18​
2​
111​
12.7​
Hawthorn​
22​
34​
-12​
65​
15.9​
Melbourne​
26​
19​
7​
137​
15.7​
North Melbourne​
15​
31​
-16​
48​
12.8​
Port Adelaide​
24​
19​
5​
126​
14.4​
Richmond​
20​
31​
-11​
65​
12.1​
St. Kilda​
24​
29​
-5​
83​
18.6​
Sydney​
23​
31​
-8​
74​
14.0​
Western Bulldogs​
27​
15​
12​
180​
14.8​
West Coast​
20​
24​
-4​
83​
11.4​

Analysis

This was the tricky part. The general trend seems to be that the better teams (Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong, Brisbane, Port) all fare very well in the positive. However there are some odd results that contradict this. Carlton is MILES ahead of any other team and remarkably, 25% of their goals this year have come from frees. Watching their matches made me realize that Harry McKay gets a lot of free kicks, most for holding/blocking, and a lot of them dubious. Carlton also have the greatest differential from one match. Their Round 3 game vs Freo saw Carlton kick 7 goals from frees to Freo's 1. Mental.

As expected, the lower teams are on the ladder, the worse they seem to fare. North Melbourne and Hawthorn haven't fared too well this year, but it's to be expected considering the amount of defending they're doing each game.

Onto the Tigers. We have the equal second worst goals for, differential, percentage, and percent of total goals. We also have the equal second highest goals against. The board consensus is that we've been robbed quite a bit, and these stats certainly back that claim up. The fact that we give away a lot of goals from frees is ok, because we do play an aggressive gamestyle. But to barely receive any in return compared to other good teams is the perplexing part.

Thoughts?

Well what do you all think? I know we've had plenty of umpiring threads/discussion this year, and hopefully this gives some credibility to those claims that we get a bit of a raw deal.

Also note, if you ever hear umpiring whinging from Carlton supporters, show them this table and then tell them to gagf.

Wow! I don't know how many hrs you spent compiling this, but well done for putting in the effort, especially in having to watch all of Carltoons games.

I really hope that you muted BT and Annoyingshaw:poo::poo:

It's pretty much indicative of our free kick differential all over the ground. Would be interesting though to know what the differentials were in our losses v's wins, reckon I could guess TBH.

Mission

Setup
Results

Team
GFT
GAT
DIF
% VS
% of TG
Adelaide​
33​
21​
12​
157​
22.1​
Brisbane​
31​
18​
13​
172​
17.6​
Carlton​
38​
19​
19​
200​
24.5​
Collingwood​
26​
27​
-1​
96​
20.0​
Essendon​
22​
26​
-4​
85​
12.3​
Fremantle​
22​
33​
-11​
67​
16.1​
Gold Coast​
24​
25​
-1​
96​
19.0​
Geelong​
27​
23​
4​
117​
16.7​
GWS​
20​
18​
2​
111​
12.7​
Hawthorn​
22​
34​
-12​
65​
15.9​
Melbourne​
26​
19​
7​
137​
15.7​
North Melbourne​
15​
31​
-16​
48​
12.8​
Port Adelaide​
24​
19​
5​
126​
14.4​
Richmond​
20​
31​
-11​
65​
12.1​
St. Kilda​
24​
29​
-5​
83​
18.6​
Sydney​
23​
31​
-8​
74​
14.0​
Western Bulldogs​
27​
15​
12​
180​
14.8​
West Coast​
20​
24​
-4​
83​
11.4​

Analysis

Thoughts?

Great analysis. It would be interesting to see "Goals from free kicks" as a percentage of "inside 50s". That will go some way to addressing the issue of comparability between lower teams and stronger teams.

Great analysis. It would be interesting to see "Goals from free kicks" as a percentage of "inside 50s". That will go some way to addressing the issue of comparability between lower teams and stronger teams.
Added. Percentages are very low overall because teams have around 700 Inside 50s total for the season. It might be interesting to look at scores per Inside 50 and then find what percent of these came from frees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! I don't know how many hrs you spent compiling this, but well done for putting in the effort, especially in having to watch all of Carltoons games.

I really hope that you muted BT and Annoyingshaw:poo::poo:

It's pretty much indicative of our free kick differential all over the ground. Would be interesting though to know what the differentials were in our losses v's wins, reckon I could guess TBH.
Tigers Win: 13 For | 13 Against

Tigers Lose: 7 For | 19 Against

Ouch.

SO weaker teams usually do worse and stronger teams do better. Except us, and to a lesser extent West Coast.

I am actually really surprised by the WC result. The umps love them at home. But they are still behind!

For us, there has to be an 'interesting' explanation. Jack and Tom never get infringed against I guess. :think:

I must admit I never see any KPD grabbing onto them, or holding them, or blocking them :rolleyes::drunk:

SO weaker teams usually do worse and stronger teams do better. Except us, and to a lesser extent West Coast.

I am actually really surprised by the WC result. The umps love them at home. But they are still behind!

For us, there has to be an 'interesting' explanation. Jack and Tom never get infringed against I guess. :think:

I must admit I never see any KPD grabbing onto them, or holding them, or blocking them :rolleyes::drunk:
West Coast discrepancy could be explained by lack of home crowds/noise of affirmation. I haven't looked into that much. One thing I did notice with them is that they kick a lot of goals from lead ups (Kennedy/Darling). Definitely one of the best teams at leading to their midfielders compared to others like us who bomb it on top of our forwards heads.

In terms of Riewoldt/Lunch not getting frees, there's no good answer. Again, from watching EVERY SINGLE GOAL this year, the amount of soft ones that McKay, Walker, and Dixon get that aren't paid the other way is staggering. The lack of consistency in what constitutes a hold or a block in the same game, not to mention between different games, is completely amateur. Someone in the Umpiring thread put the key forward free kick stats up, and Jack/Tom are far, far behind. Makes zero sense.

17 other clubs supporters will call it an excuse/conspiracy/whinge.

It's true, but there's no good outcome that will come out of this for the club or supporters. Just gotta cop that we're getting a raw deal, probably due to either conscious or unconscious bias.

Added. Percentages are very low overall because teams have around 700 Inside 50s total for the season. It might be interesting to look at scores per Inside 50 and then find what percent of these came from frees.
awesome and also "gat" as a percentage of "opo I50s" and then "diff between GFPI50 and GAI50"

Mission

Setup
Results (Updated for Rd 15)

Team
GFT
GAT
DIF
% VS
% of TG
GP I50
Adelaide​
35​
24​
11​
146​
22.0​
4.8​
Brisbane​
33​
20​
13​
165​
17.6​
4.2​
Carlton​
41​
21​
20​
195​
24.6​
5.5​
Collingwood​
27​
29​
-2​
93​
19.0​
4.1​
Essendon​
23​
28​
-5​
82​
12.3​
3.1​
Fremantle​
24​
34​
-10​
71​
15.9​
3.2​
Gold Coast​
26​
26​
0​
100​
19.3​
3.8​
Geelong​
29​
25​
4​
116​
16.7​
3.9​
GWS​
22​
19​
3​
116​
13.1​
3.1​
Hawthorn​
23​
36​
-13​
64​
15.2​
3.4​
Melbourne​
28​
20​
8​
140​
16.0​
3.6​
North Melbourne​
16​
33​
-17​
48​
12.7​
2.3​
Port Adelaide​
28​
22​
6​
127​
15.6​
3.7​
Richmond​
20​
32​
-12​
63​
12.0​
2.7​
St. Kilda​
25​
29​
-4​
86​
18.1​
3.5​
Sydney​
26​
35​
-9​
74​
14.9​
3.4​
Western Bulldogs​
28​
15​
13​
187​
14.4​
3.6​
West Coast​
20​
25​
-5​
80​
11.0​
3.0​

Analysis

I added this onto the table per request. It's the percentage of goals that come from free kicks per inside 50. Say for example a team has 40 Inside 50s for a game, and kicks 10 goals from frees in that game. The above number would be 25%. The higher this percentage is, the better rewarded a team is when the ball is inside their forward line. This is aimed at comparing weaker teams (less inside 50s) and stronger teams (more inside 50s).

Thoughts?

well done mate

Amazing. Just amazing. I can't watch games that don't involve Richmond these days, so much kudos!

I'm gunna say something critical, because I'm a stats nerd. Please try to take it as constructive, because after investing this much time, I know I'd ******* spit chips if someone poked a hole in my work.

IMO, most goals kicked from a team mate taking advantage would be kicked whether there is a free called or not. Did you record these events separately? Can you present the data without the advantage numbers?

Amazing. Just amazing. I can't watch games that don't involve Richmond these days, so much kudos!

I'm gunna say something critical, because I'm a stats nerd. Please try to take it as constructive, because after investing this much time, I know I'd ******* spit chips if someone poked a hole in my work.

IMO, most goals kicked from a team mate taking advantage would be kicked whether there is a free called or not. Did you record these events separately? Can you present the data without the advantage numbers?
Nah it's no stress. Always up for some constructive criticism.

I didn't differentiate the two sources, they're all lumped together on a big excel sheet. However I don't see why there's a need to differentiate because as you say, most goals kicked from advantage would likely be kicked by the player who originally got the free kick. For example, a bullshit free paid to a forward (likely Harry McKay from the numbers above) in the goalsquare, teammate grabs the ball and bangs it through, should be counted overall. Because without the free kick, the goal wouldn't have been kicked.

I tried to make it clear what I consider goals directly from frees versus indirectly in my OP. I chose to go down the direct route, and have been consistent with that.

Mission

Setup
Results (Updated for Rd 16)

Team
GFT
GAT
DIF
% VS
% of TG
GP I50
Adelaide​
35​
27​
8​
130​
21.0​
4.5​
Brisbane​
36​
20​
16​
180​
17.6​
4.2​
Carlton​
44​
23​
21​
191​
24.6​
5.6​
Collingwood​
28​
31​
-3​
90​
18.7​
3.9​
Essendon​
25​
31​
-6​
81​
12.8​
3.1​
Fremantle​
26​
37​
-11​
70​
16.4​
3.3​
Gold Coast​
29​
28​
1​
104​
20.0​
3.8​
Geelong​
32​
27​
5​
119​
16.9​
4.1​
GWS​
24​
20​
4​
120​
13.6​
3.2​
Hawthorn​
24​
39​
-15​
62​
15.2​
3.4​
Melbourne​
29​
22​
7​
132​
15.9​
3.5​
North Melbourne​
18​
37​
-19​
49​
13.1​
2.4​
Port Adelaide​
31​
23​
8​
135​
16.1​
3.8​
Richmond​
22​
35​
-13​
63​
12.4​
2.8​
St. Kilda​
27​
30​
-3​
90​
18.2​
3.5​
Sydney​
29​
36​
-7​
81​
15.1​
3.5​
Western Bulldogs​
32​
17​
15​
188​
15.2​
3.8​
West Coast​
21​
28​
-7​
75​
11.4​
2.9​

Analysis

Thoughts?

Great analysis , though all tiges fans know they didn't need these stats to know we have been robbed and frees leading to goals is a big part of that. This analysis backs it up.

We have been done by a number of factors this year. Umps being real campaigners more than usual is one of them , dimma acknowledged this in one of his pressers.

I actually think out of all the dynasty team we deal with the most s**t externally compaared to the other ones. To do what we have done is remarkable. Especially last year , last year's flag had a weighting of about two flags tbh

17 other clubs supporters will call it an excuse/conspiracy/whinge.

It's true, but there's no good outcome that will come out of this for the club or supporters. Just gotta cop that we're getting a raw deal, probably due to either conscious or unconscious bias.
Yet those 17 other clubs will at the same time say we are gifted by umps. It's so odd we are gifted by umps yet when we are clearly being bummed by umps it's an excuse, oppo doesn't even care about making sense anymore they are just throwing s**t at us blindly 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back