Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Eye of the Tiger is terrible. The opening guitar riffs are pretty iconic but, after that, the song itself is pretty band and the lead singer's voice is weak and whiny. I don't understand how anyone could consider it a "pump-up" song.
Ill pick another one from the era, Jump by Van Halen is horrendous. I can play that keyboard hook myself and i have zero musical ability, and the rest of the song is just a dirge

Ill pick another one from the era, Jump by Van Halen is horrendous. I can play that keyboard hook myself and i have zero musical ability, and the rest of the song is just a dirge

That doesn't mean anything, Smoke On the Water and Paranoid are among the first riffs anyone learns on guitar and they are classics.

That doesn't mean anything, Smoke On the Water and Paranoid are among the first riffs anyone learns on guitar and they are classics.
Exactly. Just because a riff is simple doesn't detract from it's greatness. How about "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks? Hard to think of a simpler riff but it's arguably the most influential rock song of all time.

Jump has aged surprisingly well with me. In my VH phase it was really just one of many hits from them, but I nowadays find that I'm always in the mood for it whereas my other faves from them have long fluctuated (except the evergreen Love Walks In which always had its particular place for me).

I hate Silverchair. That is, almost everything I've heard from them beyond their first two albums.

Diorama was pretty much my introduction into the band. Reckon Daniel Johns got better as a songwriter and musician up until about them.

Across The Night and The Greatest View are perfect pop songs. Nice chord progressions, nice structural changes in the songs. They were kind of building up to it on Neon Ballroom, but I think they finally nailed it on Diorama, although it was obviously going to polarise a little

Frogstomp still stands up pretty well. Nice homage to Helmet on most tracks, but their softer songs are arguably as good. Shade is my favourite.

Young Modern was where they really jumped the shark. Lots of really clunky songs and contrived experimentation.

I can't stand American Pie or Eye of the Tiger.

I think the Beach Boys were overrated, and I hate Kanye West's music.
Totally agree with American Pie and Eye Of The Tiger.
I quite like the Beach Boys, although their output was a little inconsistent.
I've never heard a Kanye West song, at least I think that's the case, it may have appeared in a commercial or something, but how would I know.

Diorama was pretty much my introduction into the band. Reckon Daniel Johns got better as a songwriter and musician up until about them.

Across The Night and The Greatest View are perfect pop songs. Nice chord progressions, nice structural changes in the songs. They were kind of building up to it on Neon Ballroom, but I think they finally nailed it on Diorama, although it was obviously going to polarise a little

Frogstomp still stands up pretty well. Nice homage to Helmet on most tracks, but their softer songs are arguably as good. Shade is my favourite.

Young Modern was where they really jumped the shark. Lots of really clunky songs and contrived experimentation.

Yeah I always wondered where Silverchair got the Drop D tuning from, for a while I thought they were visionary because they seemed to do it before the nu metal stuff, then I found out about Helmet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I always wondered where Silverchair got the Drop D tuning from, for a while I thought they were visionary because they seemed to do it before the nu metal stuff, then I found out about Helmet.
It was around a long time before that. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin used it and countless blues players decades before them.

Nah, have to disagree there. Chisel are legends, and I don’t use that word lightly.
Don Walker is one of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.
No one writes Australian suburbia like him.
The other members wrote some pretty handy tunes as well.

Disagree.

Paul Kelly writes suburbia better.

Aussie Crawl wrote about suburbia better.

Disagree on that, reckon Young Modern was a sign of a band ready to take the next step, shaking off completely the shackles of their influences. You could see their progression with every album, it's a shame they broke up after that.

Disagree on that, reckon Young Modern was a sign of a band ready to take the next step, shaking off completely the shackles of their influences. You could see their progression with every album, it's a shame they broke up after that.

Diorama doesn’t sound anything like Frogstomp though. They still use distortion in parts I guess? But they’d starting using it much more constructively.

Reckon adding that layer of distortion in Miss You Love (on Neon Ballroom) is probably the most tasteful and best example of them managing to integrate buzzy guitars into their increasingly baroque sound.

Young Modern to me just stretched their experimentation too far, and was pretty bland because of it. I know Daniel Johns is now working with Luke Steele in Dreams, and they’ve largely taken the spirit of YM but made music that’s more dancey and beat-oriented and it sounds awful to my ears.

Still reckon Silverchairs peak was either Diorama or Neon Ballroom.

It was around a long time before that. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin used it and countless blues players decades before them.

Yes that's true fair enough. Probably even Soundgarden and Tool's use of the tuning predates nu metal and Helmet as well. I'd say Adam Jones definitely got it from Zeppelin, though King Crimson use some different tunings and probably used drop D at some point.

Diorama doesn’t sound anything like Frogstomp though. They still use distortion in parts I guess? But they’d starting using it much more constructively.

Reckon adding that layer of distortion in Miss You Love (on Neon Ballroom) is probably the most tasteful and best example of them managing to integrate buzzy guitars into their increasingly baroque sound.

Young Modern to me just stretched their experimentation too far, and was pretty bland because of it. I know Daniel Johns is now working with Luke Steele in Dreams, and they’ve largely taken the spirit of YM but made music that’s more dancey and beat-oriented and it sounds awful to my ears.

Still reckon Silverchairs peak was either Diorama or Neon Ballroom.
speaking of Luke Steele, his work with Sleepy Jackson is by far better then anything he has done since.

I like Silverchair's growth on Neon Ballroom, but by Diorama it was too much for me, peak was Freakshow which I think found it's own sound a little bit distinct from similar groups, whereas Frogstomp, whilst good, was generic for the time.

Neon Ballroom big highs but also more filler.

Better musician, and better Singer .
Jon, formidable in his time...
Sounds like total garbage now.
He is beyond cooked, its over for him.

He's managed his decline exceptionally well, he sounds nothing like he did in the 80s and early 90s, but his self awareness has allowed him to change his style over the years to avoid the 'he's lost it' that most other singers of his time would have received.

See, Vince Neil, pre-reunion Axl Rose, etc.

I like Silverchair's growth on Neon Ballroom, but by Diorama it was too much for me, peak was Freakshow which I think found it's own sound a little bit distinct from similar groups, whereas Frogstomp, whilst good, was generic for the time.
Diorama was peak for me, lost interest after that. Johns is a awesome musician though, highly under rated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back