Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

Carey is also arguably the GOAT and spent a long time in the wilderness before being allowed to step back into the public light. I can't see Walker getting the same response, I think there's not a lot of public favour that can be won back by him now.

Good point, C7 seems to not have an issue with domestic violence have hired Carey & Grant Hackett and still have Andrew Okeefe on the payroll, can see a career as special comments for big Tex..

Imagine if he directly said what ever it was to the player, suspension and fine could've doubled.

Without getting into the penalty.

The biggest take from this is to congratulate the offical who reported it and then to Adelaide for passing it on. It’s exactly what we want not only in footy clubs but in society for casual racism to be called out, even when their isn’t the intend target isn’t there to hear it.

So well done to the offical & well done to Adelaide.

Quarter time?

Robbie Young belted an unsuspecting Matt Crouch a close friend of Tex's in the guts and ran off like a true hero after committing the dog act....that was in the 2nd quarter.

And that's justification to make racist comments towards an individual? Pretty sure Crouch is a grown man and can look after himself...

The biggest take from this is to congratulate the offical who reported it and then to Adelaide for passing it on. It’s exactly what we want not only in footy clubs but in society for casual racism to be called out, even when their isn’t the intend target isn’t there to hear it.

Absolutely would have been very easy to turn a blind eye.

Hats off to that fella

Very true, takes real guts to do that. Especially when it's a big name like ted.

And that's justification to make racist comments towards an individual? Pretty sure Crouch is a grown man and can look after himself...
The irony is if Tex said nothing and Crouch belted Young, he may have been suspended for fewer than 6 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft penalty
Yes and no. The more important thing is he and others learn from it all, akin to the Collingwood girl and the Goodes saga.

Apologising and reconciliation towards those affected and the wider community is also very important.

At the end of the day, if someone has said or done something racist, I rather they learn and self-reflect, rather than have an excessive punishment that shames them for life. He will be tarred for life, rightfully or wrongly, even if he does make genuine amends and changes.

Yes and no. The more important thing is he and others learn from it all, akin to the Collingwood girl and the Goodes saga.

Apologising and reconciliation towards those affected and the wider community is also very important.

At the end of the day, if someone has said or done something racist, I rather they learn and self-reflect, rather than have an excessive punishment that shames them for life. He will be tarred for life, rightfully or wrongly, even if he does make genuine amends and changes.

yep, agree.

There are plenty of offences for racially motivated behaviour chum.

Your take is ridiculous and makes no sense, other than your only reference point in life for penalties is people being physically injured on the footy field.

Can you kindly explain why assault is a criminal offence under the law and breaches of the racial discrimination act are not?

It is for that reason there is a disconnect between AFL and the real world. Why? The almight dollar.

1) The AFL once sold violence and crime as a product.
2) The AFL wants its best players out there
3) The AFL does not want anything to happen that could see sponsors walk. Sponsors don't walk over assaults but the do racial discrimination.

oh and I am not calling for softer penalties for racism, especially institutionalised racism.

I love the Crows fans in here… wait and see, facts will come out, don’t judge etc…

oh ******* please… could you be yanking it any harder? It wouldn’t be an issue and even discussed if nothing had happened. The big question is how well Adelaide can manage the damage control and soften/diminish the event and quieten those who reported it.

Honestly, how dumb and blind are football fans at times. And that bloke who posted a Stephen Rowe clip? Really? Can you find a Mark Ricciouto one as well just so we can get all the unbiased, not at all compromised sources involved?

Some crows fans no doubt blindly defending Walker.
some people, however, just like to have all the facts before they crucify someone.

Innocent until proven guilty is something the internet really isn’t good for.

now that it’s come out that he’s accepted responsibility, it’s fair to say he needs a lot of help, was a scumbag move, and should spend his time of reflecting on the type of person he wants to be. He’s have a lot of disappointed fans and team mates that he’s going to have to repair relationships with

6 weeks and a 20k fine along with the embarrassment is enough for me, he'll grow from this you'd hope.

I just want to go on record that I can't wait for his return game, he'll be celebrated by the media/commentators also the Crows fans, and I will enjoy reading the comments of the triggered people in the match day thread because of it.

It is a contact sport , and he did get punished for the hit

Funny how you codemm him more than what Ted did

That's probably because one is a word and one is an action that can cause physically harm to someone.

So yes, I'll always condemn the physical violence over the word.

Contact sport doesn't mean you cheap shot people behind play. That's a dogs act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back