Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

Cordy was on one of the dogs podcasts recently and they touched on why he wasn’t in the team beginning of the season. He didn’t go into details but seemed to suggest he had a difference of opinion on how to play the role and he wasn’t doing what Bevo wanted. I assume the way he’s playing currently is how Bevo wants him to.
He's playing the role superbly. Hanging off his opponent by 3m most of the time costing us goals

I'm having a lot of emotional whipslash rn. I expected the loss but I'm still pretty devestated how badly we've choked this season away. But I'm also finding it hilarious. That just might be the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

On the coaching dicussion I think Bevo is a genius. But by being a genius I don't think he's satisfied playing a simple plan and wants to play high risk high reward constantly. It paid off massively one year and he will always be the greatest bulldogs legend in my mind. Do I think we'd be better with a more conventional coach? Ehhhhhh... No. No, I think our list is pretty sh*t.

I don't think any other team has a worse makeup of key defenders than we do. Keath is fine but I reckon every other team has a better duo than Keath and whoever we'd pair him with. Maybe if it was Keath/Naugton but then I'd say we'd have the worst key forward duo in the league and that's if Bruce isn't injured. And our rucks, fit or unfit, are the worst in the league. Every side has at least 2 rucks better than our best. I reckon most have 3. It's a weak list. And for our star midfield, I reckon there are another 30 mids in the league you could plug into our midfield and they would look like A graders. Our system is our midfield. We handball it to each other and rack up touches, our defence can't mark so we spoil and go for boundary stoppages to get more potential touches for these mids. They are very good players but outside of Bont I think 10-ish sides have a midfielder that matches our best because the difference between the 10th best mid and the 25th best isn't that great. Don't underestimate system.

So is the blame just on the players? fu** no. When Dunkley are Treloar were injured Bevo decided in his wisdom to just put it all on Bont, Macrae and Libba. Any other coach would've brought in Lipinski, Wallis, West, Garcia etc. to share that load. He's worked them until they're cooked. He's persisted with Cordy when he was leaking goals in 2019, gave Bailey Smith more midfield minutes when it 2020 his direct opponent was generating clearances. He's f’ed around with so many structures that I can't blame players for choosing other sides to go to rather than us. I can't count how many times he's hinted that our ruck or our defence or our lack of height is costing us so he knows what the problem is but then doesn't address it. And then on the other hand I don't think any coaching moves saves our players from losing to a bottom 4 Hawthorn, or blowing a 3 goal lead to a honestly average Port side. Blame goes on him, blame goes on players. Truth, as always, lies inbetween.

This year is over, but I don't believe in writing off the future. Next year can be better, it can be the same, it can be worse. We're in a position that with luck any of the next 7 seasons could be ours. The job of the coaches and players is to make the difference between lucky and unlucky as small as possible. Onwards and upwards.

Jesus. I'm off to bed.

Watching a 2016 Bont, Nator, Dunks, McLean u
I'm having a lot of emotional whipslash rn. I expected the loss but I'm still pretty devestated how badly we've choked this season away. But I'm also finding it hilarious. That just might be the amount of alcohol I've consumed.

On the coaching dicussion I think Bevo is a genius. But by being a genius I don't think he's satisfied playing a simple plan and wants to play high risk high reward constantly. It paid off massively one year and he will always be the greatest bulldogs legend in my mind. Do I think we'd be better with a more conventional coach? Ehhhhhh... No. No, I think our list is pretty sh*t.

I don't think any other team has a worse makeup of key defenders than we do. Keath is fine but I reckon every other team has a better duo than Keath and whoever we'd pair him with. Maybe if it was Keath/Naugton but then I'd say we'd have the worst key forward duo in the league and that's if Bruce isn't injured. And our rucks, fit or unfit, are the worst in the league. Every side has at least 2 rucks better than our best. I reckon most have 3. It's a weak list. And for our star midfield, I reckon there are another 30 mids in the league you could plug into our midfield and they would look like A graders. Our system is our midfield. We handball it to each other and rack up touches, our defence can't mark so we spoil and go for boundary stoppages to get more potential touches for these mids. They are very good players but outside of Bont I think 10-ish sides have a midfielder that matches our best because the difference between the 10th best mid and the 25th best isn't that great. Don't underestimate system.

So is the blame just on the players? fu** no. When Dunkley are Treloar were injured Bevo decided in his wisdom to just put it all on Bont, Macrae and Libba. Any other coach would've brought in Lipinski, Wallis, West, Garcia etc. to share that load. He's worked them until they're cooked. He's persisted with Cordy when he was leaking goals in 2019, gave Bailey Smith more midfield minutes when it 2020 his direct opponent was generating clearances. He's f’ed around with so many structures that I can't blame players for choosing other sides to go to rather than us. I can't count how many times he's hinted that our ruck or our defence or our lack of height is costing us so he knows what the problem is but then doesn't address it. And then on the other hand I don't think any coaching moves saves our players from losing to a bottom 4 Hawthorn, or blowing a 3 goal lead to a honestly average Port side. Blame goes on him, blame goes on players. Truth, as always, lies inbetween.

This year is over, but I don't believe in writing off the future. Next year can be better, it can be the same, it can be worse. We're in a position that with luck any of the next 7 seasons could be ours. The job of the coaches and players is to make the difference between lucky and unlucky as small as possible. Onwards and upwards.
This looks like a awesome post but I’m so pissed now lost focus after first sentence. It’s the time of night to keep it short. PS this took me five minutes to reply

Watching a 2016 Bont, Nator, Dunks, McLean u

This looks like a awesome post but I’m so pissed now lost focus after first sentence. It’s the time of night to keep it short. PS this took me five minutes to reply

I think by the time I wrote it all up I sobered up. Time to raid the fridge again.

Ok I’m optimistic now, us against them 2016 again. The Bevo magic gonna work again. The replay giving me confidence.

Disgusting Beveridge..

Pissed the season up the wall..

Arrogantly plays makeshift ruckman and we get killed in the clearances, plays his favourites like Wood no matter how bad he plays, and brings Dunkley back in instead of making him earn his spot..

I honestly think his time is done. Been nice knowing you, and thanks for the flag, but pack your bags mate..

Utterly deplorable
Wood has been a great player but his time is done. Those dump kicks too no one that go to the centre are team killers. Costing goals and giving th
Listening to Wines post game shows how much planning they put into stopping our midfield. Why do we seem to never have a plan for the opposition?
That's because we are always on the back foot with no competitive Ruck. When it gets into open space we get torched. Libba, Bont & Macrae all great ball winner's but not so fleet of foot. When Opposition Ruckman get first hands on its straight into space and we get sliced up on the outside.

This is how we finished up in the matchup summary for the season. As you can see Cordy gave up the most goals for the year with 31 while Daniel and Dale only gave up 9 and 10 respectively and almost evened themselves out with goals kicked.

Bare in mind matchups are recorded at the beginning of each stoppage so if a matchup changes during a chain, the matchup at the beginning of the chain will be the one recorded.

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 1.48.31 am.png

I don't think we really reached the window or golden era until this year, though. I'm not disputing the fact we pissed those two elimination finals down the drain, of course we did, but I still think there's reason for hope. This season is all but shot, but we'll be contenders for a few years.
Honestly can't see it right now the two major holes in our list Ruck and KPD will ensure we don't achieve what we otherwise might. It just makes the work load on the midfield too high.
We have been great this year but are paying the price now for having to overcome our deficiencies all season long

Martin and English? Probably better, yes, but Stef is the only out-and-out ruck of the 4 of them, so you’d expect that.
my participation in this thread was an initial fire up on people complaining about the ruck situation as I feel like we did address it it just didnt go our way with injuries. But to continue this part of the converation, I definitly do agree that 2016 Boyd was a decent enough ruck, he wasnt too good but he wasnt a total liability at the time. He would have beaten English for hitouts but English would have done more around the ground (based on home and away form)

Not singling out blokes, but 2 of their last 3 goals came about because our defenders don't play tight enough.

Cordy is the main culprit. Plays either in front of his man, or 3m behind.

Just crazy .
Am I the only one who is screaming at Cordy to be closer to his man? The man has the closing speed of a sloth, he is extremely slow for a professional footballer. This mob are very lucky I am not the list manager because I have a line through at least a dozen players.

I guess we are all extremely disappointed because what started out and continued to appear through the year was that in this season we were a genuine chance to be a threat for the flag. I haven't felt that way since 2017, which was a disaster. I didn't feel that way in 2016.
I get more annoyed when I expect plenty of the Dogs than when they are a middling to ordinary side.

Premierships are so hard to win that when you get a gilt-edged opportunity you can't afford to get cute with weird non-selections or versatility type moves. Some players JJ, Scott, Hannan, Cordy seem to get a really good run with selection where others West, JUH and Lipinski don't. I'm not saying these guys are better players but they in my opinion get crucified by the match committee far more than players who head-scratchily get selected far more regularly.

I think that Bevos fascination with making 3-4-5 changes to the team every week (most are unnecessary) has really unsettled the team. How players like R Smith, Garcia, Vandameer are getting selected over Lipinski and Crozier is beyond comprehension. And not playing Richards was costly. Port are a quick team and he would have been valuable as a run with player on someone like Rozee or Butters.

Dunkley hasn’t fired a shot since he returned, Vandameer goes missing when the heat is on, B Smith has gone backwards, JJ looks lost.

And to really add salt to the wounds is that the last three weeks will cost the Bont the Brownlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to ensure my own mental health was OK I did not watch tonight. Call me weak, say I am not a true supporter whatever. I am a nearly 50 year member an will always support the club emotionally and financially. However our end to a season that promised so much has been dismal.

Normally I have local footy as a distraction but that has gone for this year.

But in these times there is no positive vibe from the club. Clearly team selection and narrative is an issue.

My biggest concern is not about Bev but for Bev. Hope he has support as his messaging is concerning.

As stated in the selection thread not playing Sweet removed an option that may have been important particularly when Bruce went down.

I cannot see how we get anything out of this year now, anything positive at all. I really hope I am wrong but we may be on the precipice for this group of players and coaches that instead of multiple premierships will be way back in the pack. Again hope I am wrong but 2021 looks done and dusted

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been a bit worried about Bev's wellbeing for awhile TBH. Something ain't right.

Reckon the team rises and falls on Bev's mood too much.

As you say hope he gets the support he needs

Beveridge has coasted for 5 years on a golden, never to be repeated, month of footy. He pisses all over the media in petulant displays that don't help our club and has not won a final since 2016. We lose most of our big games and his game-day coaching is piss weak. I've never been a fan of the self-absorbed smart-arse but I'm way beyond that now. We are wasting the best list in the AFL with a ******* egotistical w***er in charge.
s**t comment. Give yourself a spell.

Bailey Smith is the midfield version of Billy Gowers
His hesitation in last 2 mins, as dogs streamed into attack, cost you, Port had time to flood back and man up. I was going for the Doggies all the way, glad to see Treloar do so well, an ex Magpie. You should have won that one, and that Dixon is a useless thug for Port. Time to re group Dogs, its not over yet.

For those that asked here is the expected ladder as of last night...

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 3.54.41 am.png

Looks like it will be spot on with us finishing 5th, but take a look at Essendon... bottom 4 and yet we'll likely play them next week. It just shows how accurate they have been year.

Before you ask our drawn game was against Melbourne in R19.

We’re on 132.8 and they’re on 132.7 so if they win by any score we are stuffed. I got a B in year 10 Maths.

Yeah depends on how much West Coast score. If the Coke Snort Nostrils kick 50 points the Lions need to win by 3.5+ goals. If the Nostrils score 70 points, the Lions will need to win by close to 4 goals. We're actually a realistic chance of doing a Bradbury and holding on to our spot

For those that asked here is the expected ladder as of last night...

View attachment 1211982

Looks like it will be spot on with us finishing 5th, but take a look at Essendon... bottom 4 and yet we'll likely play them next week. It just shows how accurate they have been year.

Before you ask our drawn game was against Melbourne in R19.

Interesting, thanks for that.

I thought this ladder would have Freo in the 8.

Pffffahahahahahhahahah, do you even know what opsec means? You are such a goddamn moron it's hilarious.
‘Goddam’ hey? An army reservist who also trawls the internet who spends the majority of his time on US right wing conspiracy sites.

That is interesting and if that’s the case, it’s all a coaching issue.

It’s not Cordy’s fault that he has limitations.
Maybe the coaches have instructed Cordy how to play in different forward scenarios and left it up to him when he plays those scenarios because the defence responds to the forward structures. I think he has trouble working out what is the forward forward structure, and it will change multiple times during a game, and therefore his positioning is wrong and gets easily beaten. The coach can only do so much, the player has to respond during the game.

The entire reason we lost the St Kilda final last year was was English getting smashed in the ruck.

what did we do about it? Go out and get a 34 year old on his last legs. Don’t forget, Brisbane didn’t offer Martin a contract. And how was it ever going to help us beyond one year?

Watching Bont lose the Brownlow in the last round during the count is going to be painful to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back