Rumour Neil Balme is not the Head of Football

In the wake of the Balme bad news, do you think Darren Burgess will be at the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A simple statement such as “Media reports of Neil Balme appointment as our Head of Footy are incorrect, Adam Kelly is and will remain our Head of Footy.” Shuts it down and gives Kelly the backing his authority needed. Then if we bring in Balme as an advisor, happy days.

Agree, that’s all that was required.

my hypothesis is that we couldn’t say that because it wasn’t true.

I submit that Balme had been confirmed as Head of Football, even his nephew Ned, was speculating about it.

I suggest that Balme was indeed in agreement about becoming Head of Football (he wasn’t moving for a cup of coffee advisory role) but that arrangements hadn’t been sorted with Adam Kelly about what that would look like.

the deal was done, but the next step was to straighten out Kelly. Before that happened, it leaked.

the Club couldn’t deny it because it was true.

it got ugly, messy, and then Balme wanted no part of it because of the internal organisational mess created.

Between agreeing with Balme and having the tough conversations with Kelly, and perhaps Nicks, the cat got out of the bag. The subsequent mess led Balme to walk away

I can think of no serious other reason why the AFC & Balme said nothing to deny it for so long

it WAS true. Was being the operative word

my take anyway

Last edited:
As laughable as it sounds, there is a picture being painted that Kelly and his supporters didn't' like this (understandably) and with the support of Nick's campaigned to say in the top role. Balme therefore had to report to Kelly in the end, which wasn't where the conversation started, so he tuned it down (understandably).

well, the best in the business is a,ways already within our 4 walls.

So if the club says, yes we are in talks with a contracted staff member from another club, how does that sit in the industry?

Poaching contracted staff members is technically not allowed. Especially if the job is not a promotion.

Bear in mind the AFL investigated us for talking with Eddie Betts whilst he was with Carlton.

Are WCE commenting on media reports Schofield is going there?

I think people are just upset they got sucked in by the media and want to blame the club rather than their own gullibility.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
They dont have to say yes or no. Again say list management and staff are all working hard and we will confirm appointments and delistings at the appropriate time

I submit that Balme had been confirmed as Head of Football, even his nephew Ned, was speculating about it.

I suggest that Balme was indeed in agreement about becoming Head of Football (he wasn’t moving for a cup of coffee advisory role) but that arrangements hadn’t been sorted with Adam Kelly about what that would look like.

the deal was done, but the next step was to straighten out Kelly. Before that happened, it leaked.

it got ugly, messy, and then Balme wanted no part of it because of the internal organisational mess created.

Between agreeing with Balme and having the tough conversations with Kelly, and perhaps Nicks, the cat got out of the bag. The subsequent mess led Balme to walk away

I can’t think of no serious other reason why the AFC & Balme said nothing to deny it for so long

my take anyway
I just hope that you are wrong, that would mean the level of incompetence hasn't gone even with the new management. I think though there was enough talk about Balme leading up to it that surely Kelly would have asked the question.

Rowey has mentioned tonight that if they caused Kelly any hurt they apologise, which brings me back to my post, the club should have quashed it if it wasn't true.

Studley was the one who started this on Saturday, he's a club ambassador who was fed the story, by someone at the club? If so why? If not, its up to the club to find out from him who leaked it.

Silvers pretty much said that yesterday.

No he didn't, he said we cant discuss contracted employees from another club BUT we are looking to bring in experience to help the football department. Throwing in that last part meant he was extremely confident it was happening otherwise who was he talking about?

I can think of no serious other reason why the AFC & Balme said nothing to deny it for so long

my take anyway
Or deal done and Richmond vetoed it. Held Balme to his contract.

Most people would jump at the chance to be mentored by their industry leader. I can't see Kelly being that offended he quits.

And if he did, seeya buddy. Balme trumps Kelly.

Either way we won't know.

I just hope that you are wrong, that would mean the level of incompetence hasn't gone even with the new management. I think though there was enough talk about Balme leading up to it that surely Kelly would have asked the question.

Rowey has mentioned tonight that if they caused Kelly any hurt they apologise, which brings me back to my post, the club should have quashed it if it wasn't true.

Studley was the one who started this on Saturday, he's a club ambassador who was fed the story, by someone at the club? If so why? If not, its up to the club to find out from him who leaked it.

there’s no point bringing it up with Kelly, if Balme isn’t coming. No need to rock the apple cart unless there is good reason

step 1. Sort out Balme, will he come?

If yes

Step 2. Sort out Kelly

it’s entirely plausible that we started out talking last year about a part time advisory role due to health, and this year due to his health being better he was the one who asked for his role to be the full enchilada; having considered it we obviously said yes, but what to do with Kelly? He leaves that with us, and it all turns to mess

a variation on that theme is the only thing that makes sense to me

Or deal done and Richmond vetoed it. Held Balme to his contract.

Most people would jump at the chance to be mentored by their industry leader. I can't see Kelly being that offended he quits.

And if he did, seeya buddy. Balme trumps Kelly.

Either way we won't know.

sure. That was it. In the era of reduced soft cap spending we were doubling up

lol. That must’ve been it.

my take anyway
He's a 70 year old man. He's not looking to take over a club. He's looking for a part-time job where his opinions and guidance will be respected as he transitions into retirement.

I think he had that at Richmond but he was uncomfortable with how some of his influence was being reduced as others took on larger roles. I think Richmond realised they didn't want to lose him and they sorted out his issues.

He was obviously very serious about the Crows, but ultimately why would you move interstate if you can get what you need at home in Victoria? Once he knew he could, he stayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a 70 year old man. He's not looking to take over a club. He's looking for a part-time job where his opinions and guidance will be respected as he transitions into retirement.

I think he had that at Richmond but he was uncomfortable with how some of his influence was being reduced as others took on larger roles. I think Richmond realised they didn't want to lose him and they sorted out his issues.

He was obviously very serious about the Crows, but ultimately why would you move interstate if you can get what you need at home in Victoria? Once he knew he could, he stayed.

he’s Neil Balme, not a guy in charge of the stationary.

You are still here yapping about this? Everyone has move on, can you do a mattymac please I beg you? Things can change in 16 months but I'm more confident that Balme will join us end of next year given the discussion did get this advance this time around.

he’s Neil Balme, not a guy in charge of the stationary.
Yeah, he has opinions that would be respected and incredible guidance that he could offer. But the last thing he would want was a high stress full-time job.

You are still here yapping about this? Everyone has move on, can you do a mattymac please I beg you? Things can change in 16 months but I'm more confident that Balme will join us end of next year given the discussion did get this advance this time around.

the similarities between your verbal style, logical progression, and high school level shallowness with Geoffa is getting harder to ignore

GeoffaBAB

At Richmond Balme is Senior Club Advisor a role that extends beyond the Football Department, they also have roles underneath Balme similar to what Kelly does now.

Quite myopic to suggest Balme would double up on what Kelly does now.

If we are so close to going over the soft cap that Balme's salary puts us over even with the $50k we are in trouble.

Compare our personnel to other clubs. We would struggle to get near the soft cap.

and yet, here we are with him staying as Head of Football at Richmond

His role is Senior Club Advisor.

I think that's where your theory breaks down.

the similarities between your verbal style, logical progression, and high school level shallowness with Geoffa is getting harder to ignore

GeoffaBAB
Any time old mate calls out an alias.....

8c99a5aec74ff74fa3d871a76070c431.gif

Jesus Christ, the last thing Balme wanted was Kelly's job. Who would want the workload, long hours and stress at 70?

We're just inventing sh*t here.
President of the United States seems willing to do a lot more.

I don't think anyone is asking him to run a marathon

Back