Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Your second and a pick upgrade to bring total value to last pick of the first round. That feels right to me.... still be filthy with that outcome though
That's too much.

He's worth about pick 28 to 35.

Don't get your hopes up about getting him if that's what Adelaide would offer.
Unfortunately, that's reminiscent of the Jackson Hately situation at GWS, and we know how that played out. Not saying it will again for Stephens/Swans, just a caution that as much as supporters don't believe a kid will * over the club, they'll end up doing what gets them what they want.

Unfortunately, that's reminiscent of the Jackson Hately situation at GWS, and we know how that played out. Not saying it will again for Stephens/Swans, just a caution that as much as supporters don't believe a kid will fu** over the club, they'll end up doing what gets them what they want.
Should shut down the PSD - its a BS pathway, that often helps homesick VIC players (with limited SA/WA).
Honestly i think it should be contract $, length and age and then that should dictate the points in trade. If its not equitable team has to trade future picks.

Should shut down the PSD - its a BS pathway, that often helps homesick VIC players (with limited SA/WA).
Honestly i think it should be contract $, length and age and then that should dictate the points in trade. If its not equitable team has to trade future picks.
PSD hardly gets used and is only really there as an ass-covering exercise by the AFL so they can't be sued for restraint of trade.

Might be time for the Crows to get Swans back a little one after the Swans too Tippett in the PSD.

Agree though, the PSD has to go. If you want to go to another team, you should have to go in the ND unless you are a FA.

Might be time for the Crows to get Swans back a little one after the Swans too Tippett in the PSD.

Agree though, the PSD has to go. If you want to go to another team, you should have to go in the ND unless you are a FA.
I agree the Tippett one was bad. Not to be a one-eyed supporter, but his ban also complicated the value discrepancy there as well.... A pick 5 (or last year with a former top 15 pick) who goes for nothing is pretty inequitable.

Pies will do it with Lipinski this year.

PSD hardly gets used and is only really there as an ass-covering exercise by the AFL so they can't be sued for restraint of trade.
Usually only for OOC players who didn't get the trade done. Note none of these were officially FAs.
2020-Hately
2019-Martin
2012-Tippett

I agree the Tippett one was bad. Not to be a one-eyed supporter, but his ban also complicated the value discrepancy there as well.... A pick 5 (or last year with a former top 15 pick) who goes for nothing is pretty inequitable.

Pies will do it with Lipinski this year.
I don't know that his ban really did devalue him. Swans didn't reduce his contract because of it, which means he was still equally valued. $3.5m over 4 years is highly valued!

How highly is Stephens actually rated by Swans supporters? Personally, I haven't seen much from him these past two seasons to write home about, but then again I haven't come close to watching him every week

Obviously is still very young and has room for improvement, but what's the gut feel on him, at this point?

Gut feel is that we will regret losing him, especially for whatever compo another team is willing to give.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't they just nominate for ND instead? And put a price on their head. It seems fairer.....
It's players' choice. It was regarded as part of equalisation that the bottom clubs have access to those players first, without losing access to the best young talent coming out of the U18s. Used to have a lot more players going in the PSD too, in the 90s it would have 20-30 picks taken (1992 had 80!), but that was before scouting got good in the national draft and then delisted free agency changed the playing field again. It's not really working as it was originally intended anymore, so all that remains is the legal safety net.

If it was up to me I'd probably get rid of Category A rookies, have a separate mature age draft for anyone over 19 who is not otherwise a free agent or eligible for the U19s pathways. So you only have the national draft and the mature age draft in November. Category B rookies should include mid-season rookie draftees, NGA prospects that go undrafted, and alternate talent that is signed directly to the club. But that's an entirely different discussion for another thread.

It's players' choice. It was regarded as part of equalisation that the bottom clubs have access to those players first, without losing access to the best young talent coming out of the U18s. Used to have a lot more players going in the PSD too, in the 90s it would have 20-30 picks taken (1992 had 80!), but that was before scouting got good in the national draft and then delisted free agency changed the playing field again. It's not really working as it was originally intended anymore, so all that remains is the legal safety net.

If it was up to me I'd probably get rid of Category A rookies, have a separate mature age draft for anyone over 19 who is not otherwise a free agent or eligible for the U19s pathways. So you only have the national draft and the mature age draft in November. Category B rookies should include mid-season rookie draftees, NGA prospects that go undrafted, and alternate talent that is signed directly to the club. But that's an entirely different discussion for another thread.
Wow - a well reasoned, logical solution. What is this doing on BF!!!

Nah you've got a lot to look forward to with a 33/34 year old crash and bash inside mid gunning it up in 2025.:D
Parker will be 32 at the end of the 2025 season. He's never had any major injury issues, and can become a midfield-rotating forward once the likes of Gulden, Campbell, Warner, and Rowbottom are ready to replace him. Forward line going to be hard to stop with Parker, Heeney, and Hayward all capable of taking contested marks to complement the developing McDonald. Yep, plenty to look forward to.

Rather have a 32-year-old gun mid on our list than a 32-year-old that's sitting on the sidelines for the first few weeks of the year because he made a racist comment :shrug:

If he nominated Essendon pick 11 seems fair right?

I’m not crazy thinking it will be 3 weeks of Dodo packaging picks in the 40s…..

If he nominated Essendon pick 11 seems fair right?

I’m not crazy thinking it will be 3 weeks of Dodo packaging picks in the 40s…..
Don’t think 11 is on the table for a kid who has played 15 games in 2 seasons.

At the start of this thread many were suggesting about pick 20-25 (Adelaide’s 23 came up a bit). Unfortunately we don’t have a second rounder this year as we gave it to GWS as part of the deal for Caldwell, so I don’t see an obvious solution.

We have a future second but that probably won’t satisfy anything on its own unless we completely * things up XD. If we want him we basically need to trade a player out to get some picks (haven’t heard anything of the sort to date), or if we did some other deal with pick 11 to split it then maybe that would produce an appropriate pick for Stephens.

🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back