Recommitted Dylan Stephens [re-signed for two years]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not going to walk to the PSD. If he hypothetically did, Collingwood would take him, yes, but he won't. Players will only walk to the PSD if they're desperate to leave. Stephens wants to stay, just wants more opportunities. He loves the club, so wouldn't fu** us over like that. There will be a trade, or he will stay. No PSD.
Any evidence of this?

I think the real question is can the swans look him in the eye and say you’ll get more game time.

Unfortunately I don’t know if that’s the case. we’re not bursting at the seams with midfield talent, but At the same time I dunno who he replaces at this stage. I reckon he’s hanging out to watch the hewett, Parker and Dawson situations unfold to work out where he’s at in the pecking order. Tbh it’s likely the swans are doing the same.

A bit of clarity on the salary cap from the AFL and a genuine focus on contracts for the next couple weeks given they’ve been on the road for how long will give us a better idea of the lay of the land.

I suppose what I’m getting at is there’s more to this still in play, next couple weeks will be interesting.

Roos will 0% take him lol.

The only danger comes from - if a really valuable player (Darcy Moore) for example is available at a regular/fair salary e.g. $700,000, then this is too hard to pass up, as even if the player wants to leave later, you can multiple highly valuable draft picks, all you have to do is wear that salary as a cost.

But for players like Hately/Stephens, there is no point for any club to bring them in at the cost of salary/list spot/opportunity for younger players, when the eventual return for them is virtually 0 (if they do decide to trade later on).

Nah… Roos will definitely take him if he’s available in PSD. Not even a question. Nobles after as many u24 Y.O mids as he can get. Stephens for free is a no brainer if it goes that way.

Hately?..played the whole year with groin problems that the supporter base only found out about at the end of the year - club mismanaged his injury it appears to us supporters. Hoping he has the required surgery in the off season and gets a good preseason in and shows us what he can do next year

Please don’t speak on behalf of ‘us supporters’.

He’s not going to have groin surgery.

You have no idea about injury management, in particular playing through soreness, which you seem to believe disqualifies someone from playing. He managed the groin soreness all season, which the team have helped see him through, got some valuable minutes in, and now we’ll reset him to go in the pre-season and likely increase his loads gradually.

Rest is not the miracle cure for all soreness issues, please get that into your head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please don’t speak on behalf of ‘us supporters’.

He’s not going to have groin surgery.

You have no idea about injury management, in particular playing through soreness, which you seem to believe disqualifies someone from playing. He managed the groin soreness all season, which the team have helped see him through, got some valuable minutes in, and now we’ll reset him to go in the pre-season and likely increase his loads gradually.

Rest is not the miracle cure for all soreness issues, please get that into your head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You seem like a happy fellow. You might recall b crouch playing through groin soreness for a while too and then missing vast chunks of playing time. My question to you then is..what was to be gained by playing him through the season with groin soreness when it prevents him from explosive running and hampered his ability to impact games at AFL level?...since you are the professed expert on injury rehab

Hately?..played the whole year with groin problems that the supporter base only found out about at the end of the year - club mismanaged his injury it appears to us supporters. Hoping he has the required surgery in the off season and gets a good preseason in and shows us what he can do next year
What's the club meant to do - drug him and put him under the knife?

The player and the medical staff make decisions about injury recovery - the medical staff are doctors, not club lackeys. Obviously Hately wanted to play through it, which was a mistake.

Roos will 0% take him lol.

The only danger comes from - if a really valuable player (Darcy Moore) for example is available at a regular/fair salary e.g. $700,000, then this is too hard to pass up, as even if the player wants to leave later, you can multiple highly valuable draft picks, all you have to do is wear that salary as a cost.

But for players like Hately/Stephens, there is no point for any club to bring them in at the cost of salary/list spot/opportunity for younger players, when the eventual return for them is virtually 0 (if they do decide to trade later on).
No, there would be a massive chance North Melbourne would take him, for the same reason Collingwood or Adelaide would.

What's the club meant to do - drug him and put him under the knife?

The player and the medical staff make decisions about injury recovery - the medical staff are doctors, not club lackeys. Obviously Hately wanted to play through it, which was a mistake.
Surely if the medical team were seeing no improvement in the injury and that it went on all year apparently, should have had them considering alternatives to fix it. I mean its not the first time a player would have gone for surgery to fix a long standing problem

I don’t see pies getting anyone/many players they need draft picks for daicos and dib

So the only way they get players is either future picks or trading out players

But can’t see any of the players they’d want to trade having any value unless Maynard goes
Gee, that went well for them last trade period so let's do it again! I'm going to miss all the laugh's Ned Guy gave us last year :-(

Surely if the medical team were seeing no improvement in the injury and that it went on all year apparently, should have had them considering alternatives to fix it. I mean its not the first time a player would have gone for surgery to fix a long standing problem
I agree - but these are doctors. They will put someone under the knife when there isn't alternatives, but it's never the first option to do an invasive medical procedure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and by the same token, there's certainly a 'chance' Moore comes to us via the PSD.

Just wondering how you rate Dylan after 2 seasons .In his draft year he was the player I wanted to get through to the Hawks first pick!
I have not heard any rumours anywhere that The Hawks are into him but he seems like his outside pace would be something we should be interested in?
A certain mod shot me down for suggesting on the Hawks board that we could possibly have a look at him?How has Dylan progressed from a supporters perspective that gets to watch him weekly ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wondering how you rate Dylan after 2 seasons .In his draft year he was the player I wanted to get through to the Hawks first pick!
I have not heard any rumours anywhere that The Hawks are into him but he seems like his outside pace would be something we should be interested in?
A certain mod shot me down for suggesting on the Hawks board that we could possibly have a look at him?How has Dylan progressed from a supporters perspective that gets to watch him weekly ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's struggled to get a good run at it, mainly due to the Swans reserves having little to no regular football over the past two seasons (barring playing weekly scratch matches against the Giants..). I think he's shown some good signs when he has played at the top level, but needs a consistent run of games

Think we'll land Stephens without problems. Dawson is more problematic but reports keep coming in that the Swans cap is stuffed so you never know.

Reckon we'll go hard for players this trade period, it's time for us actually do something.

Think we'll land Stephens without problems. Dawson is more problematic but reports keep coming in that the Swans cap is stuffed so you never know.

Reckon we'll go hard for players this trade period, it's time for us actually do something.
Swans will be jerks with Stephens IMO asking for way overs - demanding pick 5 value in return.

Im not saying what I think the swans will get - I am stating what I think they will demand.
And so they should..why would they start low only to be bargained down again.

If the crows are really after him AND he is keen to come, there will have to be a trade as the psd at pick 4 leaves north, collingwood and gold coast there to pounce and you'd think the money is not going to be stupid to put them off like martin was. A 2nd rounder though is where the value sits imo

And so they should..why would they start low only to be bargained down again.

If the crows are really after him AND he is keen to come, there will have to be a trade as the psd at pick 4 leaves north, collingwood and gold coast there to pounce and you'd think the money is not going to be stupid to put them off like martin was. A 2nd rounder though is where the value sits imo

Your second and a pick upgrade to bring total value to last pick of the first round. That feels right to me.... still be filthy with that outcome though

How highly is Stephens actually rated by Swans supporters? Personally, I haven't seen much from him these past two seasons to write home about, but then again I haven't come close to watching him every week

Obviously is still very young and has room for improvement, but what's the gut feel on him, at this point?

How highly is Stephens actually rated by Swans supporters? Personally, I haven't seen much from him these past two seasons to write home about, but then again I haven't come close to watching him every week

Obviously is still very young and has room for improvement, but what's the gut feel on him, at this point?
Gut feel he will re-sign.

Kills it in VFL. Shits the bed in AFL. Terrible value now could be averaged 25disposals in 2 years time. Needs to get a bit harder in the contest, and panic less. Skills are great at VFL level.

basically literally the definition of a buy low.

I think he will be a very good player. Showed some great signs at the end of 2020, and although he didn't get many opportunities, and had a few average games this year, I thought he played well against the Cats.

He's been played as an inside midfielder in the reserves, but an outside midfielder in the first, and it doesn't seem like he knows how to play that role. Can get sucked into the contest a bit. If Hewett goes, I think he will stay, which I hope means we will see him get more of a chance to play on the inside next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back