Opinion Is it time for some clubs to re-name their Best & Fairest awards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, I misunderstood what you meant.

But I'm fairly sure every time I hear the WC winner, It's always the winner of the John Worsfold Medal.
Maybe it's spreading.

I'd just prefer they just refer to them as best & fairest winners. With all due respect to Peter Crimmins, some ignorant bastard might think it's awarded to the best player in the merger cup H&A matches between Hawthorn & Melbourne, a la the Glendinning-Doig medal, rather than a prestigious award given to Hawthorn's best player for the season.

Maybe it's spreading.

I'd just prefer they just refer to them as best & fairest winners. With all due respect to Peter Crimmins, some ignorant bastard might think it's awarded to the best player in the merger cup H&A matches between Hawthorn & Melbourne, a la the Glendinning-Doig medal, rather than a prestigious award given to Hawthorn's best player for the season.
I'm ringing up the club and telling them to get rid of B&F and just call it straight out Copeland Trophy, now I know it pisses people off.

Freo should re-name their one after someone who actually had something to do with the club rather than someone who played for East Freo in the WAFL before and during World War 2.

Name it "The Pav" or something. Or wait until they have a premiership captain and name it after them.

Pav or Mundy would both be great options and Freo through and through.

Pav or Mundy would both be great options and Freo through and through.

It reflects Fremantles rich history in the game - won its first flag in the game we love in the 1880s, an interesting era in WA footy.

'The club continued to dominate the competition for the rest of the decade, winning five consecutive premierships from 1892–96 and another in 1898. The club was forced to disband after the 1899 season due to large debts. Many of the club's players transferred to the new South Fremantle Football Club, admitted to the WAFA the next year.[11] The club had an overall win rate of 68.7% during its fourteen seasons in the competition.'

I followed Port when I was in Adelaide - Freo's history is comparable in WA footy even though it was shared across two clubs (East Freo & Souths).

Last edited:
Carlton
-John Nicholls (57-74)
-328 Games, 307 Goals
-97 Games coach of Carlton
-3 X VFL Premiership player, 5 x B&F, 1 X Simpson Medal, Carlton's first 300 game player
Also 1972 Premiership coach.

If there was only some easy way in this day and age to find out what the Crimmins Medal is awarded for.

Maybe it's spreading.

It's a club best and fairest. All club members know who Peter Crimmins is and why his story is so important to our club. I honestly don't give a toss if someone who isn't a Hawthorn support knows who he is - I didn't know who the Copeland was named after, for example, but then why would I?

If there was only some easy way in this day and age to find out what the Crimmins Medal is awarded for.

Not every support is as football savvy as your fine self. Take trip down Facebook lane and you'll see what I mean.

On second thoughts, don't subject yourself to that misery.

It's a club best and fairest. All club members know who Peter Crimmins is and why his story is so important to our club. I honestly don't give a toss if someone who isn't a Hawthorn support knows who he is - I didn't know who the Copeland was named after, for example, but then why would I?

Well I mean, plenty of people have NFI outside their own club and plenty of supporters don't even know who their own club medals are named after. I think a national broadcaster should just keep it simple for the casual fans who only watch games and nothing else so that they actually understand what they're talking about.

Like I said, a minor annoyance.

About Crichton ..

Few people have dedicated as much of their life to the Essendon Football Club as Wally Crichton. Crichton served the club continuously, sometimes in multiple roles, for an unbroken period of 34 years.

Crichton was wounded in the Great War and lost a leg. This ended any ambition of playing football but instead he became a successful and long-serving club administrator.

Wally Crichton joined the Essendon committee in 1926 and became the club’s vice-president in 1932, a position he held until 1940. He held a number of positions concurrently including Essendon delegate to the League from 1934 to 1959 and also served as Victorian state team manager.

He was appointed Essendon president 1941 and held the position until his death in 1959.

Crichton led the club during a period of change and great success. His presidency included the golden years of 1942 to 1951 when the club won four premierships and was runner up in another four.

As a mark of the esteem with which Wally Crichton is held, the Essendon Football Club’s best & fairest award was renamed the Crichton Medal in his honour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I reckon another 10 years and the medal name is changed.

Who in your opinion has had the greatest impact on the Giants in their short history if at some point they were to rename it?

Fair to say it’s likely way too early at the moment but perhaps in a decade or two if someone really stands out and makes the Giants a powerhouse will they make the call?

Gets mentioned fairly frequently when talking about Collingwood star players "Player X has won 3 Copeland's" instead of "3x B&F winner".

Pedantic I know but it just annoys me for some godforsaken reason I can't understand.

Because along with EFC, CFC, MFC, GFC and Saints..they are the most famous and oldest clubs in the land. And I have no qualms saying Collingwood are the most famous club out of the foundation clubs.

Hence the Copeland is synonymous with Collingwood probably because Eddie has mentioned it on-air about 15,000 times in the last 30 years.

Who in your opinion has had the greatest impact on the Giants in their short history if at some point they were to rename it?

Fair to say it’s likely way too early at the moment but perhaps in a decade or two if someone really stands out and makes the Giants a powerhouse will they make the call?
Toby

Looking over the names of all the clubs B&F awards, it appears from the outside that some are named after players who in comparison to others, have received significantly fewer playing or coaching accolades over their careers for their respective clubs.

I mean no disrespect to these past players and they have obviously had huge impacts on their clubs and the development of the game in their own rights. However, is it time for a changing of the guard for some teams and who would you name it after for your club?

Changing the name would show greater recognition of clubs recent history rather than some going back to the 1920s/30s. As we can see below, some of the clubs have named their awards after player who I’m sure had a huge significance at their club, but may have since had others go well and truly past them in terms of influence and achievements.

I dont know the full stories behind a number of these players who have had the award named after them or the significane they played at their club, however I would argue that perhaps Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Essendon and Collingwood would all have past players deserving of the award being being changed in their name.

Melbourne:
Keith William "Bluey" Truscott
44 games and 31 goals
Enlisted in the RAAF in WW2

Bulldogs:
Charlie Sutton (42-56)
173 games 65 goals playing
162 games as coach
1x B&F, 1 x club Leading Goal kicker, Bulldogs Premiership coach

Port Adelaide:
John Cahill (58-73)
264 games 286 goals
624 games coached (inc Coll 47, West Ade 69 and South Ade 20)
4 x Premiership player, 4 x B&F, 1 x club Leading Goal kicker, 10 x Port Premiership coach,

Geelong
Carji Greeves (23-33)
124 games 17 goals
2 x VFL premiership player, 1924 Brownlow medalist (first awarded)

Swans:
Bon Skilton (56-71)
237 Games 412 goals
3 x Brownlow, 9 x B&F, 3 x club Leading Goal kicker

North Melbourne
-Syd Barker (1907-27)
-68 games 25 goals. VFA/VFL (57 Essendon)
-61 games coaches (43 Essendon)
-4 x Nth premiership player, 2 x Essendon Premiership Coach

Hawthorn
-Peter Crimmins (66-75)
-176 games 231 goals
-1 x Premiership player
-Tragically passed away aged 28 with testicular cancer

St Kilda
-Trevor Barker (75-89)
-230 games 134 goals
-2 x B&F

Fremantle
-George Doig (33-45)
-202 games 1095 goals
-3 x premiership player, 6 x WA LG, 9 x club Leading Goal kicker

West Coast
-John Worsfold (86-98)
-233 games 41 goals
-387 games coach (281 WCE)
-1 x B&F, 2 x Premiership player, 1 x Premiership coach

Adelaide
-Malcolm Blight (68-82)
-330 games 786 goals
-364 games coach (74 with Ade)
-2 x VFL premiership player, Brownlow medalist, Coleman medalist, 4 x North Leading Goal kicker, Margery medal, Ken farmer medal, 2 x AFL premiership coach (Ade)

Carlton
-John Nicholls (57-74)
-328 Games, 307 Goals
-97 Games coach of Carlton
-3 X VFL Premiership player, 5 x B&F, 1 X Simpson Medal, Carlton's first 300 game player and 1 X Premiership Coach

Richmond
-Jack Dyer (31-49)
-311 Games, 443 Goals
-222 Games coach of Richmond
-2 X VFL Premiership Player, 5 X B&F, 2 x club Leading Goal kicker, 1X VFL Premiership Coach

Essendon
-Wally Crichton
-No games played
-Essendon committee member 1926-31, Vice President 32-40, President 41-59 and VFL Delegate 34-58

GWS
-Kevin Sheedy (67-79)
-251 Games, 91 Goals (Richmond)
-634 Games Coach (Essendon), 44 GWS Coach
-Inaugural GWS Coach, 3 x VFL Premiership Player, 1 X B&F, 4 X V/AFL Premiership Coach

Gold Coast
-Simply referred to as 'Club Champion Award'

Brisbane
-Merrett-Murray
-Merrett (78-96) / Murray (55-66)
-Merrett 313 Games, 433 Goals (149 Essendon, 164 Brisbane Bears)
-Murray 377 Games, 71 Goals (333 Fitzroy, 44 East Perth)
-Merrett awards - VFL Gardiner Medal, 2 x Essendon Premiership player, 3 x Brisbane Bears Leading Goal kicker
-Murray awards - 1 x Brownlow medalist, 9 X Fitzroy B&F, 2 X All Australian, East Perth B&F

Collingwood
-Copeland Trophy
-Named after Ern Copeland who was the club secretary in 1895, retiring in 1924.
Yes, for some.

The Essendon and Collingwood ones are interesting. Their B&F’s named after club officials from almost 100 years ago who never played a game

way to early to tell, hence another decade to decide or give more thought in it.

I mean for me personally no one has been consistently at that high level besides Ward.
But guys like Haynes, Greene, Whitfield are 1 club players and have been amazing for us, without all the will he won’t be sign shenanigans as well.

I reckon in another 10 years we will be able to look back and decide, whose to say Tom Greene doesn’t take it.

Yes, for some.

The Essendon and Collingwood ones are interesting. Their B&F’s named after club officials from almost 100 years ago who never played a game

Interestingly, Carltons was too until they changed it in 2004 after 70 years in which it was named after an administrator.

Will Essendon or Collingwood ever follow in their steps?

way to early to tell, hence another decade to decide or give more thought in it.

I mean for me personally no one has been consistently at that high level besides Ward.
But guys like Haynes, Greene, Whitfield are 1 club players and have been amazing for us, without all the will he won’t be sign shenanigans as well.

I reckon in another 10 years we will be able to look back and decide, whose to say Tom Greene doesn’t take it.

Will probably come once you win a flag.

Dunno about the B&F but maybe Nathan Jones might have enough support from a Melbourne perspective??
Jones is a Melbourne great, but as far as naming medals after he wouldn't be top 50. I assume you are in your teens so I won't have a crack, but maybe have a look at Melbourne's history and re-post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back